Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 03:09   #136
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Then it's a good thing he has two engines.

Another reason to like catamarans.
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 03:40   #137
Registered User
 
Juho's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Finland
Boat: Nauticat 32
Posts: 716
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why the sailing rig?
Most competitive sailors have monohulls. Seeking one's limits in competitions (formal and imagined) makes more sense with them. Those people who want to raise the sails always when that is possible, and would be ashamed not to do that, may most typically live in the monohulls. This approach could explain why some monohulls seem to always sail.

Catamaran people are more often (on average) looking for comfort and style. The rig might be there because it belongs to the style section. Or alternatively it might be useful for those long crossings that you can not motor. In this scenario all traffic close to harbours (the traffic that you usually see) could well be based on motoring.

Maybe it is comfort seeking catamaran and motor sailor people against the sleek monohull sailing purists.
__________________

__________________
Juho is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 06:31   #138
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
A good portion of the 1400L was going through the Panama Canal!
1400L to get thru the canal!? What do you drive?
__________________
belizesailor is online now  
Old 04-07-2015, 06:49   #139
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Blah, blah, blah...same old cat vs mono biases. I've got both.

My cat goes to weather well..will pinch to 30 apparent, sail easily at 45. Certainly reasonable for a cruising boat...whether cat or mono. Comfortable seaworthy boat for cruising, but not going to set any performance records.

Mono (Hobie 33) has amazing windward performance. Polars show 28 apparent and it will do it on the water too without pinching. Awesome boat for racing, day sailing, teaching sailing, but would really suck for cruising.

Choose the boat you prefer and that best fits you intended use...who cares what the other guy does...just human nature I guess...glad I lack that gene.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1436014217056.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	104646   Click image for larger version

Name:	1436014282408.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	104647  

__________________
belizesailor is online now  
Old 04-07-2015, 06:57   #140
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Ludlow Wa
Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Posts: 1,973
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Yep! When Ken pulls the trigger on that multi....it will be my chance to pick up a lightly used Oyster! Go Ken Go!
__________________
IdoraKeeper is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 08:05   #141
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg
Try to picture sailing under a full moon, or a million stars, while wearing one of these full cockpit condoms... Hell, would you even notice the moon up there?
I think you have cherry-picked your argument to fit your point, Jon.

Now imagine sailing in a cold, rainy gale for 3 days with nothing over your head at all. Hell, would you even notice when your wife jumps ship at the next port?
Well, I don't have to imagine doing the former, having done a bit of that sort of thing over the years... And, as for 'The Admiral' going missing - you're right, I wouldn't notice her absence, since I don't have a wife to begin with...

;-)

When I was about 10 or 11, I first learned what it was like to be on the ocean at night, during an overnight offshore fishing trip off New Jersey. One of my childhood's most memorable adventures, I had never experienced anything like that before, or seen the night sky so free of the light pollution on land, and I was hooked for life... To this day, I find no other experience comparable, more magical, inspiring of reflection and introspection, or likely to remind me of my place in the universe in its proper perspective, than a night spent at sea on a small boat...

Could be just me, but sailing with an unobstructed view of the night sky can make all the difference... My only point was that the fact that many out there today have to some extent insulated themselves from that sort of view, well... that just MIGHT be a contributing factor as to why many cruisers apparently don't enjoy sailing at night as much as some others do...

As always, I could be wrong, of course...

;-)

Oh, and just for the record, I don't buy the notion that cruising multihulls motor nearly 100% of the time... I rarely sail where there is much charter activity, but where tend to cruise, I'd hazard a guess the percentage is something more like 75-80%...

In other words, just about the same as for monohulls, in my observation...

;-)


__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 08:12   #142
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,135
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, I don't have to imagine doing the former, having done a bit of that sort of thing over the years... And, as for 'The Admiral' going missing - you're right, I wouldn't notice her absence, since I don't have a wife to begin with...

;-)

When I was about 10 or 11, I first learned what it was like to be on the ocean at night, during an overnight offshore fishing trip off New Jersey. One of my childhood's most memorable adventures, I had never experienced anything like that before, or seen the night sky so free of the light pollution on land, and I was hooked for life... To this day, I find no other experience comparable, more magical, inspiring of reflection and introspection, or likely to remind me of my place in the universe in its proper perspective, than a night spent at sea on a small boat...

Could be just me, but sailing with an unobstructed view of the night sky can make all the difference... My only point was that the fact that many out there today have to some extent insulated themselves from that sort of view, well... that just MIGHT be a contributing factor as to why many cruisers apparently don't enjoy sailing at night as much as some others do...

As always, I could be wrong, of course...

;-)
As a teenager, we would often go out in our boats off the Lancashire coast fishing. head out 10 miles at 10pm and fish the night and the following morning....... Nothing like looking up at the sky with a cup of coffee in hand enjoying the stars and silence...... I saw my first shooting star whilst out there, and the edges of the aurora borealis when looking towards Scotland in the winter. Was my favourite time and activity.

I much prefer the night watch too if sailing in company.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now  
Old 04-07-2015, 08:26   #143
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
When I was about 10 or 11, I first learned what it was like to be on the ocean at night, during an overnight offshore fishing trip off New Jersey. One of my childhood's most memorable adventures, I had never experienced anything like that before, or seen the night sky so free of the light pollution on land, and I was hooked for life... To this day, I find no other experience comparable, more magical, inspiring of reflection and introspection, or likely to remind me of my place in the universe in its proper perspective, than a night spent at sea on a small boat...

Could be just me, but sailing with an unobstructed view of the night sky can make all the difference... My only point was that the fact that many out there today have to some extent insulated themselves from that sort of view, well... that just MIGHT be a contributing factor as to why many cruisers apparently don't enjoy sailing at night as much as some others do...

As always, I could be wrong, of course...

;-)
Yes, night sailing in perfect conditions can be magical. Night sailing in non-perfect conditions can be downright nasty. I bet you experience more of the latter than the former. Heck, it doesn't take a gale - just a 5* drop in temp below the dew point can make an open cockpit uncomfortable.

Many of us out there today live in constant intense sun and see the full starry night sky without any light pollution every single night. Frankly, I get more mesmerized watching the phosphorescence wake while underway at night because the milky way has become so normal. And I'm an astronomy buff.

For us, protection from the elements is our primary concern. If we do want to watch the night sky on those perfect nights, we just lie in the trampolines or sit on the side decks. Having done many passages in not-so-perfect weather in open or poorly covered cockpits, I will gladly join the ranks of your "Kroozers" to remain un-sunburned, warm and dry.

Frankly, I doubt your premise. I find it difficult to believe that something as simple as not seeing stars in perfect weather contributes in any way as to why many cruisers don't enjoy sailing at night (if that is even a true premise). We meet people cruising who see the same sky we do every night and still don't like night sailing. I think that to the extent it exists, it has to do with many other factors beyond that.

However, it does support the categorization of your preferred POV…

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 08:33   #144
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Oh, and just for the record, I don't buy the notion that cruising multihulls motor nearly 100% of the time... I rarely sail where there is much charter activity, but where tend to cruise, I'd hazard a guess the percentage is something more like 75-80%...

In other words, just about the same as for monohulls, in my observation...
Please re-read the title of the thread. The premise is stated as a fact and no argument about it is brooked (note D&D's and SimonV's issues). Please contribute only in a way that reinforces the premise or leave it alone.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 08:40   #145
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Colemj,

Can you please take your instigative bickering elsewhere, but feel free to join the conversation in a positive, constructive manner.

Thanks

Ken
__________________
Kenomac is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 08:45   #146
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Please don't tell people what to do (even if it does prove the point of the argument ).

Thanks

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 09:07   #147
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,948
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Night sailing is fine, we have done more than our share over the years. I too have felt my insignificance while watching the stars at night but we do have a bimini because as full time cruisers the sun is our enemy during the day. I don't have any fear while sailing at night but I always love the sunrise, the light, the warmth, its a nice feeling each morning at sea.

Some mono hulls like some Cats don't really sail that well either to weather or in winds under 12 knots and I can certainly see why the owner chooses to motor instead of sail, don't really see why people get so defensive.
__________________
robert sailor is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 09:33   #148
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
Posts: 277
Images: 4
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

can't motor across an ocean, a short distance and port to make before dusk.. I'd motor if faster than sailing, all depends on the wind.
__________________
MIRELOS is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 10:04   #149
Registered User
 
BadKitty's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Marta, Colombia
Boat: 2012 Leopard 44
Posts: 50
Images: 1
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

I don't motor 100% of the time, very little as a matter of fact.
Question - I watch monos at anchor swaying back and forth - why is that?
__________________
BadKitty is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 10:11   #150
Moderator
 
nigel1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 5,184
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

A few posts have been removed, please everyone, try and be civil towards each other.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Nigel
Beneteau 473
Manchester, UK
nigel1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, motor

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
500: Lagoon 500 Nearly Sunk Erik C Lagoon Catamarans 216 28-10-2013 18:47
For Sale: Balmar 100-Amp Alternator (Model 60-100-SR-IG) synchronicity98 Classifieds Archive 0 24-05-2013 18:34
Does the "100" in a "Masters 100 ton" mean anything? twistedtree Seamanship & Boat Handling 7 06-03-2013 19:14
Boat, Nearly New, Just Needs a Little Gelcoat Work ... ad_astra Off Topic Forum 4 29-08-2009 13:21
Nearly Lost Rig! Damage to Forestay from Furler? Northeaster Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 14 25-05-2009 09:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.