Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-08-2013, 02:51   #106

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...
Re: Why Choose Gunboat 60 Over Outremer 5X?

Another high end option would be the all new Ocean Explorer 60,designed by German Frers,built in Finland;

Name giving ceremony and first tests « Ocean Quality Systems Oy

Cheers,
JJ

Old 05-08-2013, 02:55   #107

Boat: Lagoon 440

That mast must have some design hours consumed, stiffness solely in it's own structure ie no diamonds or spreaders!!!! Will be interesting to watch.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:12   #108

Looks stunning...
Old 05-08-2013, 08:47   #109

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Cost?, these cats are getting so expensive I won't have any $ left to enjoy them
Old 09-09-2013, 14:13   #110
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
Cost?, these cats are getting so expensive I won't have any $ left to enjoy them
If you have the budget to contemplate purchasing a 5X you do not concern yourself with the running and maintenance costs , you just go out and enjoy your new toy
Happy sailing
Old 09-09-2013, 16:28   #111

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

better left for the 1%ers
Old 10-09-2013, 05:21   #112
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013

We have a Gunboat 62 moored in our marina for servicing. I've gone through the boat and I can say that every single detail is worked out to the perfection and best possible material. Talking about costs, I tend to agree with what the manufacturer says. All the lines are dynamee (13 €/m), spinlocks are giant (1.800 € each..) not to mention special pulleys (600 € each) There is nothing where there is no carbon/kevlar, included but not limited to the dingy, the fore trampoline, the helm, satellite antennas poles, etc..
The workmanship is outstanding..
I haven't been yet to Outremer X5, but pretty soon the new Outremer 52 will be here for wintering and I can then compare. But looking costwise, the Gunboat is definately worth its price.
Is it the boat for everyone and how many people can afford it, it's a different question.

I have a Mitsubishi Evo which is faster than many Porsche, has many accesories included in the price that are optional in Porsche and yet Porsche costs more than the double of my Evo...

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 10-09-2013, 14:40   #113
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
We have a Gunboat 62 moored in our marina for servicing. I've gone through the boat and I can say that every single detail is worked out to the perfection and best possible material. Talking about costs, I tend to agree with what the manufacturer says. All the lines are dynamee (13 €/m), spinlocks are giant (1.800 € each..) not to mention special pulleys (600 € each) There is nothing where there is no carbon/kevlar, included but not limited to the dingy, the fore trampoline, the helm, satellite antennas poles, etc..
The workmanship is outstanding..
I haven't been yet to Outremer X5, but pretty soon the new Outremer 52 will be here for wintering and I can then compare. But looking costwise, the Gunboat is definately worth its price.
Is it the boat for everyone and how many people can afford it, it's a different question.

I have a Mitsubishi Evo which is faster than many Porsche, has many accesories included in the price that are optional in Porsche and yet Porsche costs more than the double of my Evo...

Cheers

Yeloya
Hi Yeloya
You are the lucky one being able to go through such a sailing machine! Unlike you I have not seen a Gunboat " in the flesh" having however done a test sail on a 5X in La Grande Motte. In the end the decision to spend a reasonable amount of money to upgrade my cat was not as difficult as I thought it would be and yes the 5X won me over when compared to Catana and Privilege of the same length.
I like your analogy with the cars , having recently bought a new Citroen DS5 ( sorry but I am French) and comparing it to my friend's Merc 250 ( which cost almost twice as much ) I must say that the Citroen wins hands down when it comes to finish and appointed luxury .
So high prices does not always mean that it will provide you with what you are after . Gunboats are without a doubt magnificent sailing cats and I am happy to settle for second best , just loved the carbon tiller and bucket seats on my next " Toy" .
I now await patiently for the delivery of my 5X and look fwd to 2014 and beyond which will see us bringing her home down to OZ .
Cheers & Happy sailing
Old 21-03-2014, 18:11   #114

Boat: Conser 47

I will be interested to see how the MC60/2 does racing against the Gunboats.
Old 21-03-2014, 20:15   #115

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Why choose Gunboat 60 over Outremer 5X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Question is why is a 5X already on the 2nd hand market ?

2013 Outremer 5X Segel Boot zum Verkauf - www.yachtworld.de

And do you really care how fast she goes ?!
What you mean? This is the add you posted:

This OUTREMER 5X Production slot is available for delivery in 2014. cat sale here with offers the unique and exceptional opportunity to get the latest OUTREMER design ahead of schedule for next sailing season. Fully equipped accor ding to your needs and expectations. Definition to be defined as soon as possible.

I like more the Outremer. Better designed and I could use the extra million to circumnavigate in style

However I like more this one:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 14:49   #116

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

I'd buy the Gunboat for the name alone. "I sail a Gunboat!" versus I sail an "ooootrmehrrrrrr" Yuk. Just sayin
But then again, if you are American, you may say "I sail an out-reeeemer" which also may mean you are also a rear admiral and not a real captain.
Old 14-04-2014, 17:57   #117

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
I'd buy the Gunboat for the name alone. "I sail a Gunboat!" versus I sail an "ooootrmehrrrrrr" Yuk. Just sayin
But then again, if you are American, you may say "I sail an out-reeeemer" which also may mean you are also a rear admiral and not a real captain.
Humm, only if you don't speak French and I think most have it at school. Putting each name boat on the other language it would be "Canonnière" (funny name to a yacht brand) and "Another Sea", that's the images that each boat evoque : a small warboat and distant seas. What seems more appropriated to you? well maybe with the pirates on the Indian Ocean Gunboat makes sense for a yacht after all
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 18:08   #118
cruiser

Reading this thread reminded me of a little truism.

It matters not what the cat is made of (carbobn, eglass, aluminum), the actual weight is determined during fit out.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:41   #119

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I looked up the pronunciation of Outremeeeer way back.
Pronunciation of outremer - how to pronounce outremer correctly. think I'll just call them Out-reem-er.
Old 15-04-2014, 09:00   #120

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I looked up the pronunciation of Outremeeeer way back.
Pronunciation of outremer - how to pronounce outremer correctly. think I'll just call them Out-reem-er.
When I was at the Annapolis Boat Show.....a couple of years ago, I was in the market for a catamaran. I ventured on the Out-Reem-Er and asked if this was an out-reem-er and was quickly corrected by a pompous saleman, saying it was an Ooooootremehrrrrrrrrr. I was so put off, I quickly departed the vessel.
I still hate the name and I speak French! 8 yrs worth plus junior year abroad.

Tags
outremer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: