Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:54   #46

Re: Why are Fountaine Pajot cats so much cheaper than Lagoon or Leopard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Don't know a lot about the current Cats but unless you have dagger boards 35 degrees is pointing pretty high for a cruising Cat
In light wind we sail at 32 degrees apparent. More than around 8 knots wind speed we'll sail at 30. If it's stronger than around 15 knots we'll go up to about 28 degrees.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:44   #47

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Hell I have seen a number of spongy balsa boats. BUT - none of them were leopards. Like most things in life its how you do the job that matters. Outside of the boats I represent I would have Leopard first, FP next then Catana (way way overrated boats) and then Lagoon. But that is just my view.

Ah Ozmultis....It's becoming increasingly clear that your views and the relevance they have on multihull discussions on this and other forums are "way way overrated"... but that is just my view....

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:50   #48

Boat: wharram tiki 26

salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40   #49

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe Evolution 36

Can only speak for my own Mahe and that of a mate's 5 year old model. From nothing on my own boat to the odd surface cracks that have been easily dealt with on the 5 year old. Small caveat in that I did have "factory induced" cracks due to two over tightened circular hatches but again easily rectified under warranty. Lower price than the Lagoon is I think simply explained by the use of, what pains me to describe as, slightly inferior fittings. Simply lift the windlass covers of both boats. Lagoon has a heavy cover with pneumatic arms to support it. Mahe cover is light with no supports. Such things give the Lagoon a more quality feel but at the end of the day add weight, thus slowing it down. If you want a boat to primarily live on and motor sail, go for the Lagoon. If you want a cat that sails, go for the FP Mahe. Simples !
arpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 05:57   #50

Boat: Corsair 31, Blue Bayou

I've recently started researching the Fountaine Pajot 38 Athena model, which I've learned was manufactured from '94 to 2004. I'm curious to know if anyone is familiar with this model or any problems with it.

Previous messages in this thread mention osmotic blistering problems with some Fountaine Pajot cats. If you know where I might read more about the specifics, Please direct me the information.

I'm fairly knowledgeable with blistering and blister repair. I spent a considerable sum repairing blisters on a '66 Columbia 34. After the repairs and using Interprotect 2000e and bottom paint, I never had another problem in the 8 years I owned that boat.

I now have a '98 Corsair F31, which are constructed with vinylester resin and I don't know of anyone who's had trouble with blistering on these boats. I've been following the yahoo groups Fboats and new Fboat groups since 2001. If there were problems, I expect it would have been mentioned there.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.
sailor bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 06:10   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
In light wind we sail at 32 degrees apparent. More than around 8 knots wind speed we'll sail at 30. If it's stronger than around 15 knots we'll go up to about 28 degrees.
I'm not sure how to convert the above information to sailing angles relative to true wind. I am trying to figure out what the angular difference between sailing close hauled to port and starboard is for a cruising cat like the Fountaine Pajot 38 Athena or similar catamaran may be.

Thanks in advance for any information you may provide.
Old 20-11-2013, 06:15   #52

Though I joined this site in 2009, I haven't used this website much. I'm wondering if I will automatically receive an email notice of replies or whether I must sign in and search for this thread occasionally to check for replies. I will try the latter method for now.
Old 20-11-2013, 10:08   #53
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Sailor Bob, apparent wind speed and direction are a combination of boat speed and wind speed/direction and there is no standard addition or subtraction in order to convert from apparent to true. Your question also seems to be inquiring about the difference between port and starboard tacks in terms of how closely one can sail to the wind. Again, while there is a difference on some boats, it is most commonly the result of an impropertly tuned rig than an inherent design differential. If motor-sailing, another differential can be from the direction of prop rotation and whether one is using one, or both engines.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 10:33   #54

The difference between close hauled port and starboard tacks for my Corsair 31 is 90 degrees. It's easy to bear away 5-10 degrees and noticeably increase the speed, but the highest velocity made good for my Corsair occurs when tacking on 90 degrees.

I'm curious what a Fontaine Pajot 38 Athena or similar cruising cat make and model are able to do.

I recently spoke with a person who had a Fontaine Pajot years ago. He said he thought it might be around 100 degrees.

I recently spoke with a person who has an Endeavor Cat 36, he estimated 120 degrees for his boat.
Old 20-11-2013, 10:35   #55

FYI:

I did receive an email informing me of Brad / Southern Stars reply to one of my earlier questions.
Old 20-11-2013, 15:35   #56
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Sailor Bob, Athena is one the fastest boat in FP range. She points pretty well upwind and is free of osmosis issues..
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 09:41   #57
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Sorry Sailor Bob, I misunderstood your iniquiry. Generally one speaks of the number of degrees a boat tacks through - ie., she tacks through 90 degrees, in describing what you were asking about, so I thought you meant the difference between minimum sailing angles to windward on a port versus starboard tack (and some boats do have a differential for the reasons indicated).

While I know of some relatively high performance cats that tack through about 70 degrees, I would be suprised if in the real world, an Athena would do much better than 85-90 degrees over the bottom (which would take into account leeway). I do expect, however, that with reasonable sails she should do better than 100 degrees - I am able to do 100 to 110 degrees with my Solaris Sunstream 40 which has longer but shallower keels and a cutter rig.

I can also say that I have seen chart plotter tracks for an upwind sail of 12 hours on a Mahe 36 and it was definitely tacking through 90 degrees over the bottom. Yeloya should know about the Athena and, if it is one of the fastest in the FP range, I suspect she should do at least as well.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, fountaine pajot, lagoon, leopard