Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 18:42   #1

Why a Multihull?

I'm in the market for a used cruiser, and to be honest I'd never considered a multi-hull. From reading here and other places I can see my basic beliefs may not be as obvious as I once thought.

I think there are only two main reasons for these beliefs: slip costs and knock-downs. Basically, I think slip costs for the wider boat will cost more, and if the boat is knocked down it's harder-to-impossible to right it without help.

Am I wrong about these things? If I am, should they matter? Are there advantages that make the issues less important?

Thanks.
Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 18:59   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Oh no here it comes again, the cat vs mono thread. Much has been written nothing settled. Emotions run high in this debate. Wouldn't head out myself without a substantial keel iunder me but to each his own.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 19:10   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Uffffff,,,, there is a lot of this threads , try to find answers in past posts , multihull section, hope you find answers... Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 19:27   #4

Boat: Islander 34
the big difference between multihulls and monohulls is that when multihulls get flipped over they float, and when monohulls get flipped over they sink.
Old 11-02-2010, 19:35   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Ugggggg..........
why does this always come up!!! you like what you like or can afford..period.

but at least a mono can turn itself back over
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 20:05   #6

Well, that's not much help. I can understand not wanting to re-hash an old discussion, but please understand I've never asked it before and so don't know the arguments or the keywords.

"Why a multi-hull" brings up over 100 threads. Perhaps you can unbend enough to point me to a few relevant ones. If that's too much trouble, then never mind; I'll return to my regular scheduled program.
Old 11-02-2010, 21:10   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
My Opinion!

I've researched both and the only advantages to a multi over a mono is more room per foot and shallower waters. The smaller multi's go faster per foot but the fully loaded cruisers take about the same time to get from point A to point B. And $ for $ on cruisers you'll get about the same speed but more length on a mono.

Woman do prefer multi's to mono's, mostly cats, as long as they don't have to maintain them (wash and paint).

For a party boat I'd want a multi but for traveling I prefer mono's.
Old 11-02-2010, 21:25   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I've cruised in monohulls and one multihull, and I like them both. They are different, and which works best for you depends on what your needs are. Since I wanted to sail around the world with my family, and since my wife wanted flat sailing, I had no choice. It had to be a catamaran. I could have done the trip happily with either a monohull or multihull. Both offer plenty of opportunities for great sailing adventures.

Here's what I like about my catamaran: SAILING OFFSHORE IN A PRIVILEGE 39 CATAMARAN AROUND THE WORLD.* CAPTAIN DAVE.

To me the question isn't monohull versus multihull. It's racing monohull versus cuising monohull versus full keel monohull versus fin keel monohull versus light displacement monohull versus heavy displacement monohull versus racing multihull versus cruising multihull. All of the different designs have something different to offer. All of them involve different compromises. Once you decide what your requirements are, how much money you want to spend, and what compromises you are willing to make, it's pretty easy to select a design that will work for you.

The monohull versus multihull debate is bogus as to which is better. They offer completely different sailing experiences. Neither is better in absolute terms. In relative terms, one of them will be better for you.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 21:52   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I've cruised in monohulls and one multihull, and I like them both. They are different, and which works best for you depends on what your needs are. Since I wanted to sail around the world with my family, and since my wife wanted flat sailing, I had no choice. It had to be a catamaran. I could have done the trip happily with either a monohull or multihull. Both offer plenty of opportunities for great sailing adventures.

Here's what I like about my catamaran: SAILING OFFSHORE IN A PRIVILEGE 39 CATAMARAN AROUND THE WORLD.* CAPTAIN DAVE.

To me the question isn't monohull versus multihull. It's racing monohull versus cuising monohull versus full keel monohull versus fin keel monohull versus light displacement monohull versus heavy displacement monohull versus racing multihull versus cruising multihull. All of the different designs have something different to offer. All of them involve different compromises. Once you decide what your requirements are, how much money you want to spend, and what compromises you are willing to make, it's pretty easy to select a design that will work for you.

The monohull versus multihull debate is bogus as to which is better. They offer completely different sailing experiences. Neither is better in absolute terms. In relative terms, one of them will be better for you.
Ditto!! One of the most intelligent answers I've read on this topic. Boat choices are highly personal and all designs involve compromise and trade-offs. Add to that: Where, when, with who? (family or couple), fitness level, patience, tolerance for discomfort, tolerance for motoring vs. sailing, budget, etc.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 22:14   #10

Boat: Farrier f27
It's true that generally slip fees will be more for a multi, though in the 15 years that I had one I rarely had it at a dock. It was either anchored or on a mooring.
the fear of multis capsizing is just far overblown in a good mutihull you'd have to be sailing using poor seamanship in survival conditions before capsizing is a realistic occurence (just like poor seamanship in a mono in survival conditions will raise its possibility of sinking).
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 22:46   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Like several others have mentioned, this issue always seems to touch nerves. Really not necessary that it do so, though, as Dave so eloquently discussed. So, I'll just try and answer directly the two issues you mentioned.

In the two years of liveaboard cruising we've done on a cat, I recall being charged extra for a slip fee only a few times -- maybe three? One does get used to being on end ties or t-heads, but that's OK. Probably more likely to happen at high season in popular (always more expensive) locations. More anchoring = less expense, regardless of the type of boat. In other words, it is a relatively unusual event, but it does happen. It isn't something that would rule in or rule out a particular boat, at least for me.

Regarding knockdowns/capsizing/pitchpoling, this is really a rare event in a cruising multihull. Some designs have been known to become dismasted before they will go over. It really is a different theory of stability than with monos. I won't say "better", but "different". Obviously, it can happen, though. You'll hear lots of pithy truisms about the matter.

Really boils down to what you value in a boat. Set up those priorities and let them guide you, regardless of the design that ultimately best fills them.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 00:34   #12

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
The custom google search in the drop down from the search button found between New posts and quick links works well for getting what you want.

Here's a search I did for "multihull or monohull".

multihull or monohull - Google Search

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41   #13

Thanks, all - that'll get me started. I hadn't thought of the $/accommodations comparison, and hadn't known that multi-hulls could get by with smaller sail plans.

Our only experience with cats is always to take the tourist cat trip (sunset cruise, watch the dolphins, pet the rays, etc.) on any vacation we're on. Of course, they've always alcohol-lubricated the cargo (us) pretty thoroughly on these rides, so our memories may may be not be completely accurate. Still, we always enjoyed the trips.

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:09   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
the big difference between multihulls and monohulls is that when multihulls get flipped over they float, and when monohulls get flipped over they sink.
Or, you could say the big difference is that multis stay flipped and most monos don't.

Having said that, however, I don't think a properly sailed cruising multi is any more likely to capsize than a mono.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:21   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Your memory probably serves you right. Dave was very delicate in his answer. I am a wee bit more blunt. I have cruised both, and if you will be sailing the trades. It's hands down a multi.

You're sailing flat, and that equals less used energy. The more energy you have. The better decisions you will make. The better decisions you make the more fun you will have. What's not to like sitting in a wonderful anchorage with a great view, and very little motion out of the boat?

The more comfort at anchor. The less likely you will want to pay for a slip. The less money you spend. The longer you can cruise, or once again the more fun you will have. In 10k miles, and nearly 8 years of sailing my cat I have never once been charged more from the Caribbean to Florida, and everything in between.

Cost can be a problem. I don't know your budget but you will pay more for a multi that's the same length, year, and condition as a mono. Why?......because you are buying more material, and labor.

Would I go back to a mono? You are darned right I would under a couple of conditions. If I lost everything, and had to sell the cat to keep sailing, or! If I was going to sail high latitudes, such as the Southern Ocean.

Speed when sailing off the wind, and when it's starting to blow. If you can sail quicker. You can sail away from, and out of bad weather easier. Not to mention flatter, and now we are back to conserving energy, and sailing safer. Some believe you will not gain any speed, and what if you don't? Well you are back to more comfort, and more space.

I enjoy a 15* heel, and a boat that behaves wonderfully. I enjoy the looks of a lovely mono. It is what I grew up knowing when looking at pictures. It was what I knew when I began sailing, and I sailed a mono for nearly 17 years, and cruised in her too. I just prefer not to heel day after day after day any more. Like I typed I would do it in a heartbeat if it is what I had to do to keep sailing, or sailing high latitudes.

Another thing is that I do not begrudge those that prefer a mono. We all get through life differently. It's a compromise, and monos have their pluses too. Beating into some real slop is one of them. Their look is another, but I do find my boat attractive, but maybe because it's my boat? BEAUTY is in the eye of the beholder.

Once you decide where you will sail, what your budgets is, and how much space is NEEDED, not wanted. You will be able to make the decision. $ may very well be the deciding factor, and if it is. If you decide you want a multi. There are harbors full of broken dreams, and boats selling cheap, all kinds of boats not just multis. This economy is causing quick sales too. Being in the right place at the right time is essential with money in hand. I know, because I bought my boat 3 years old for less than 40 cents on the dollar. BEST WISHES in finding a boat that serves you well. No matter how many hulls she has. The most important thing for me is to be able to sail.......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagine @ Stnl Cy.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	13228  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull