Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2010, 20:35   #91
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,313
I think it's called masochism but good for you! Since I can't find a polar for MC41 what was the upwind VMG? Wind speed and sea state? It's always good to hear the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
...OK, explain this then.

BVIs to St. Martin is approx. 80 miles to windward. In December 2008 we sailed every bit of it on our MC41. After arriving in the lagoon we attended numerous cruiser happy hours with folks cruising monos and multis alike. We did not speak with anyone who sailed.

Now do we point as high as a mono, NO! But as cchesley pointed out, we crack off a few degrees and the boat moves better and she tells you that you are doing the right thing.

Bottom line (again!). They are different boats just as an Island Packet is different from a Wally is different than a Gunboat is different than a Chris White tri. Enjoy what you have.

Fair Winds,
Mike
__________________

__________________
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 21:14   #92
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: seattle
Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Posts: 586
Jaywalker-My answer to your situation is that you should get a boat that is best suited to the use pattern you intend for it and get one that is a good example of it's type whatever that may be. The best way to determine what boat that may be is for you to educate yourself to the point where you have your own opinion. While there are significant differences between mono and multi there are also big differences between mono and mono-multi and multi. Then comes the question of personal style whatever that is for you.
__________________

__________________
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 05:48   #93
Registered User
 
Jeannius's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Worcester U.K.
Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Cats are for Girls ?
Yeah... If you want to get a girl... Get a cat! If you prefer boys then get a mono.
__________________
Mike

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 06:25   #94
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
I think I did pretty well hooking one with a mono!
__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 07:17   #95
Registered User
 
Jeannius's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Worcester U.K.
Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I think I did pretty well hooking one with a mono!
There are of course exceptions to every rule.
__________________
Mike

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 10:14   #96
Registered User
 
YOGAO's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine, FL - an unwilling C.L.O.D.
Boat: Maine Cat 41
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I think it's called masochism but good for you! Since I can't find a polar for MC41 what was the upwind VMG? Wind speed and sea state? It's always good to hear the numbers.
Sorry Joli,

No polars here. I can fill you with some statistics, but then we are going to be in the realm of "lies, damned lies and STATISTICS!"

As I said, we don't point nearly as well as many monos. Virtually any racer/cruiser mono will eat our lunch to windward, but few cruising monos do. FWIW, our (selective ) anecdotal experience island hopping is we leave later and arrive earlier than our mono friends.

I have to say though that this is the only place where I see the mono v. multi argument. In this cruising life, we have friends who own monos, multis, trawlers, airplanes etc. We don't go around saying "my boat's better than yours!"

Fair Winds,
Mike
__________________
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 10:38   #97
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
Sorry Joli,
I have to say though that this is the only place where I see the mono v. multi argument. In this cruising life, we have friends who own monos, multis, trawlers, airplanes etc. We don't go around saying "my boat's better than yours!"

Fair Winds,
Mike
It's easier to say it on the Internet.
__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 10:49   #98
CF Adviser
 
Intentional Drifter's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pac NW
Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Posts: 1,283
Mono vs Multi - A Final Solution!

I suggest that the moderators require all us members to give access to a Paypal account. Every time one of us posts to a mono vs multi thread, $1 gets deducted from the Paypal account. It is then deposited in an account for buying beer at the CF raft up in the San Juans this July.

Come on guys, keep the arguments coming! Us PNW's thank you!

ID
__________________
Intentional Drifter

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 10:56   #99
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I suggest that the moderators require all us members to give access to a Paypal account. Every time one of us posts to a mono vs multi thread, $1 gets deducted from the Paypal account. It is then deposited in an account for buying beer at the CF raft up in the San Juans this July.

Come on guys, keep the arguments coming! Us PNW's thank you!

ID
Great idea! But pro-multis can post $2 (or $3) ... one for each hull. Those guys can all afford superfluous hulls anyway, right?
__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 15:00   #100
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Jaywalker-My answer to your situation is that you should get a boat that is best suited to the use pattern you intend for it and get one that is a good example of it's type whatever that may be. The best way to determine what boat that may be is for you to educate yourself to the point where you have your own opinion. While there are significant differences between mono and multi there are also big differences between mono and mono-multi and multi. Then comes the question of personal style whatever that is for you.
Since everything I have read and heard about cruising supports the claim (fact?) that 90-95% of all time is spent on the hook and that cats are more comfortable, spacious, airy, less "rolley", etc. at anchor then it is simply a "no-brainer". Pretty simple really.

But don't get me wrong, PLEASE!!

I don't want the mono owners to change up till I am done using the nicer places to anchor.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 15:40   #101
Registered User
 
DesertMermaid's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 19
If budget wasn't an issue, a multihull would be my dream. Multihulls are not only more expensive, but (in my opinion) - you can't "get away" with buying an old (or older) one. Multihull technology has impressively improved, so for me (money notwithstanding) the decision is this: A new multihull would be my first choice.

I'm looking at an older monohull. You get way more for the money!

__________________
DesertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 17:59   #102
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,313
Hello Mike,

Not sure that I've ever said my boat is better then yours. I'm a live an let live kind of guy, happy for everyone who sails and wish them only the best.

But, being an ex racer numbers always intrigue me. I see the sizzle being sold in the glossy adds and then I'm curious about how it stacks up against real world sailing with payload and a lumpy sea state. How does a boat sail against its polars, what do rally elapsed times tell us, how does the Gunboat 62 fair against the mono's in a Mac Race, what are the logged passage times, why do the brochures tout speeds of 14, 16, 18 but average passage times are 7?

For what it's worth, I'm in snow covered Ohio, you're in St Martin; game set match in your favor I would say. And your obviously a tough guy if you sail upwind through the Caribbean two step. Have a roattie (sp?) at the Fat Virgin for me.

Cheers,

Joli
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
Sorry Joli,

No polars here. I can fill you with some statistics, but then we are going to be in the realm of "lies, damned lies and STATISTICS!"

As I said, we don't point nearly as well as many monos. Virtually any racer/cruiser mono will eat our lunch to windward, but few cruising monos do. FWIW, our (selective ) anecdotal experience island hopping is we leave later and arrive earlier than our mono friends.

I have to say though that this is the only place where I see the mono v. multi argument. In this cruising life, we have friends who own monos, multis, trawlers, airplanes etc. We don't go around saying "my boat's better than yours!"

Fair Winds,
Mike
__________________
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 18:01   #103
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,313
Why keep score? Let's just meet up and drink beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I suggest that the moderators require

all us members to give access to a Paypal account. Every time one of us posts to a mono vs multi thread, $1 gets deducted from the Paypal account. It is then deposited in an account for buying beer at the CF raft up in the San Juans this July.

Come on guys, keep the arguments coming! Us PNW's thank you!

ID
__________________
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 10:20   #104
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: seattle
Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Posts: 586
So what about a large cat that carries a J/95 under its belly with a quick lift rig for its mast. That should take care of all the mono and multi fixated sailors.
__________________
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 11:46   #105
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 30
Wouldn't that be a trimaran variant?
__________________

__________________
Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
multihull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The ideal multihull schoonerdog Multihull Sailboats 28 05-01-2009 09:24
The Multihull scene in the US. 44'cruisingcat Multihull Sailboats 23 11-11-2007 16:58
from monohull to multihull bahamarich Multihull Sailboats 6 09-10-2007 20:42
Looking for Multihull widget3 Multihull Sailboats 14 19-07-2007 16:41



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.