Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2014, 02:14   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Why a Catamaran?

"Gary?"

"What"

"I was just wondering, Im mean like you have had yachts before, and small speedboats and then some large motor crusiers in Florida, and then that airboat which was fun.......... so now your back into sailing, why a Catamaran?”

And so my sister managed to ask the one question that I had never really given a lot of thought too. I know I want one, but why?

I like sailing. My ex wife did not. She didnt mind boats as long as it had hundreds of people, bars, a choice of restaurants, huge bathrooms and room service. I dont think we were on the same page.
I learned to sail in the UK. On the sea in the Ribble Estuary. I had 2 sail boats on Lake Coniston and enjoyed the scenery and Englishness. I really enjoyed the snugness of the cabin (Seawych 19 and Eventide 24) but found I had to do it alone as the lack of a bath and room service and a restaurant inhibited her desire to be there.

In the States, I had a Jon boat for river fishing, then in Florida graduated up from small flats boats to a 40 ft offshore cruiser used for fishing and long weekends. Even in the days of cheap gasoline, it was not cheap to run. But oh so much fun.
I did not have a yacht (sailboat) for the longest time there because the inshore waters were very shallow. I did however use a friends pontoon and liked the stability of it.
Two years prior to leaving the U.S. I did get to try out one or two friends Catamarans. I even went to Punta Gorda and tested a few. (I lived near).

I like sailing. There is something about putting up the cloth, watching it fill, adjusting the helm and switching off the engine. A bit of fiddling and fine tuning, a look over the stern to see the water slide away and the journey has begun.
I think people who like sailing, like sailing. Mono or multi isn’t a problem. However, there comes all the other bits that combine to make a choice. Space, length, width, comfort, usage for and loveability.

If Im going to live in a vessel for extended periods:

· I don’t like everything crammed away and have to dig it out to use it.
· I don’t want my sleeping quarters part of the saloon(on) or galley.
· I don’t want my personal space invaded by others when they visit.
· If I have guests, I want them to have their own area where I don’t have to go into or disturb them. I want to be able to walk around separate from a closed door to their world.
· I want to handle the boat by myself easily.
· I don’t want a huge mast, and I want to step it myself.

It takes a largish monohull to fulfil just this part of my criteria. I fell in LOVE with the catamaran design concept the first time I saw it. I liked the stability of the vessel at anchor and underway. I loved the SPACE in the cockpit and the W I D T H, so that guests are not all sat on either side facing each other over a narrow beam. In a 33-37 foot catamaran… I get to have a vessel that allows everyone to breathe. Its civilized, and for me living alone… I can change the scenery by walking into two hulls. Its not just one room with partitions.
I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a boat. The reality is that you can get far more value in a mono than a Catamaran.
However, realistically, as my overall length limit is 37 foot, it drops my expenditure down just in that alone. $100K should get a decent Catamaran, and as Im already happy with the lines, abilities and useability of Catalac and Gemini, I can halve that price immediately and spend the rest on cruising equipment/upgrades. I am not going to purchase anything for 9 months and 4 days anyway.

In the interim, I am learning a lot about the characteristics of the individual designs, and reading EVERYTHING about them, along with trips to Bristol and South coast marinas looking at Cats for sale and testing them (if something grabs me enough to purchase prematurely...)

I think, a person either likes a Catamaran or doesn’t. I happen to like them.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 02:33   #2

Re: Why a Catamaran?

37ft around 100k I would say the Lagoon/TPI 37. Has 3 cabins.
one for sale here at CF

otherwise it's not very easy to find below 100k.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 02:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
37ft around 100k I would say the Lagoon/TPI 37. Has 3 cabins.
one for sale here at CF

otherwise it's not very easy to find below 100k.
I would have to disagree for here in the U.K.
Here is just one advertiser

Catalac Sailing Yachts for sale UK, used Catalac Sailing Yachts, new Catalac yacht sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck

We have a special problem in as much as we need a VAT tax paid vessel to sail here as an EU resident in other parts of Europe.
Old 27-03-2014, 05:00   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

You'e not going to purchase for 9 months and 4 days - wow Weavis, you're either psychic or that's a long awaited retirement date and you are on the countdown! Even if your purchase is contingent upon the sale of some other asset, if you find the right boat you may want to conisder some bridge financing. When you find the right boat you'll know it - and if it is in better shape than other comparable boats it may be snapped up quickly!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 06:08   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
You'e not going to purchase for 9 months and 4 days - wow Weavis, you're either psychic or that's a long awaited retirement date and you are on the countdown! Even if your purchase is contingent upon the sale of some other asset, if you find the right boat you may want to conisder some bridge financing. When you find the right boat you'll know it - and if it is in better shape than other comparable boats it may be snapped up quickly!

Brad
LOL
I have a contract to finish. However, If something comes up in the meantime, I will look hard at the purchase. With the way the economy is, I think the wait will furnish more choices. I have not finished evaluating all my options yet, and in allowing the fixed date, it gives me time to really know and decide which direction.

This year will be a deciding one in the world situation..... lots of things boiling over. By December, we probably will know what we have in store for us all. Not being political, just observing.
Old 27-03-2014, 07:22   #6

I too have come to see the upsides of a catamaran; I just started sailing two years ago and have been on various monohulls here on Lake Ontario. Catamarans seem to have a bad reputation in that they are not real sailors but I agree with you about the space both within and topside. I have now started my search for a retirement boat to live on and see the world and have received much advice on the disadvantages of a catamaran with regards to blue water voyages but having just got back from Florida and speaking to Catamaran owners they tell me they have had no problems crossing to the Caribbean, the only negative they mentioned was the extra costs for berthing in marinas due to their size. Have a year or so til retirement so lots of time to keep investigating.
mikepennell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 08:32   #7
CF Adviser

Weavis, I hope you are right and that things will stabilize by the end of the calendar year, although I suspect not. The fallout from the Ukraine and any significant sanctions that may be imposed on Russia are likely to play out much longer than that (especially if the Russians shoot themselves in the foot by disrupting shipments of natural gas and oil to the rest of the Ukraine and/or Europe as a response). The upcoming French municipal elections may signal a move towards some more fiscally responsible politicians, but I would very sceptical about any French government in the near future making the kind of sacrifices that are going to be necessary in order to get their economy back on track. The referendum on Scottish independance will likely have played its hand out by then - assuming, of course, that they do not vote for separation. If so, the resultant uncertainty will last much longer. Syria will likely still be a mess and, of course, we have to hope for another relatively hurricane-free season in the Gulf of Mexico to keep the supply of oil from the USA flowing. This is to say nothing of the risk that Maduro in Venezuela will shoot his own staggering ecomony in the head by cutting off shipments of crude to US refineries. Lets face it, he is committed to blaming the US for the disastrous results of his (and his predecessor Chavez's) policies and is about as smart as the buses that he used to drive. Indeed, if there is a coup in Venezuela (not beyond the realm of possibility in the next year or so), what disruptions could that cause to Venezuela's already reduced ability to produce and ship oil?

Anyway, during the course of the recession the market for catamarans softened substantially. That, in conjunction with an ever inreasing number of cats coming off of charter has already depressed prices in comparison to several years ago. Slight improvements in the state of many western economies over the last year seem to have had little effect on prices and I suspect that another worsening may not effect them that much either. But then again, who knows!

Brad
Old 27-03-2014, 08:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Weavis, I hope you are right and that things will stabilize by the end of the calendar year, although I suspect not.

Brad
Hi Brad. I didnt say that......... I said
"By December, we probably will know what we have in store for us all."

Big difference..
Old 27-03-2014, 08:43   #9
CF Adviser

Got it!!!!!!
Old 27-03-2014, 08:46   #10
CF Adviser

Acually, just writing that post depressed the hell out of me. Although I suppose it makes the idea of retiring sooner than later to a catamaran in a warm climate that much more appealing!

Brad
Old 27-03-2014, 09:22   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Acually, just writing that post depressed the hell out of me. Although I suppose it makes the idea of retiring sooner than later to a catamaran in a warm climate that much more appealing!

Brad
I dont see it so much as retiring. Im not "retiring"........ Im giving up on the rat race. Im not sure there will be any returns on what has been paid in monetarily... but I can say Ive enjoyed my work. That is sufficient for a lifetime of living.

We can only make one choice at a time. Ive already "given up" internally and just seeing out this phase of my obligation........ it could change again but its nice to look forward to something I want to do.

My mother retired at 50, looked forward to living in her apartment in Spain.. had a debilitating movement and speech robbing stroke at 53, died at 60. I learned the lesson. I cleared up my life and cleaned the decks.

Dream and do.

Only circumstances stand in the way. I cant rely on my pension from the USA.... I cant rely on my pension from the UK or my private ones.... I have today. I have a plan for tomorrow. Thats enough. If the rest come through thats fine too.. if they dont, hopefully the time spent sailing and sifting sand through toes will be good enough with what I do have.

If it doesnt pan out, it wont matter too much. My dream right now is so huge it makes me smile every day. I dont want to rush it or lose it or be so busy getting every last thing right that I dont enjoy this time learning about catamarans....... one step at a time.

So when I am ready........ I will have knowledge what to look for and then go within those parameters and get a boat for me.
Old 27-03-2014, 09:53   #12

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
If Im going to live in a vessel for extended periods:

· I don’t like everything crammed away and have to dig it out to use it.
· I don’t want my sleeping quarters part of the saloon(on) or galley.
· I don’t want my personal space invaded by others when they visit.
· If I have guests, I want them to have their own area where I don’t have to go into or disturb them. I want to be able to walk around separate from a closed door to their world.
· I want to handle the boat by myself easily.
· I don’t want a huge mast, and I want to step it myself.
I'm confused by some of these. Wouldn't you need to "cram" everything away on a catamaran too? In fact, most of them have fewer storage spaces to put things. And aren't monohulls easy to handle yourself? In fact easier in some cases, because you have better visibility from the helm.

I am torn between monohulls and cats, and the more I research the issue I find out that the differences aren't as great as I first was told.

Catamarans do have a much better view from the saloon, but monohulls have a better view from the cockpit (the bridgedeck isn't in the way).

For cruising, the speed advantage of catamarans is usually a wash, because a cat loaded for a long cruise will suffer from the weight, while it matters little on a monohull.

At first glance, cats seem to have more space, but they really don't. Because a 37' cataraman is really more comparable to a 45' monohull. That monohull will have a smaller cockpit, but generally a more roomy salon and galley.

Here are the real advantages of cats, as I see them:

1. Better stability
2. Better cabin privacy (cabins separated by the bridgedeck)
3. Better bathroom privacy (except in charter cats, the main head is usually separated on the other end of the hull, instead of right next to the owner's cabin, like in a monohull).
4. No fear of sinking from the heavy ballast
5. Can enter shallow waters, you can even beach it (with some).
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 10:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I'm confused by some of these. Wouldn't you need to "cram" everything away on a catamaran too? In fact, most of them have fewer storage spaces to put things. And aren't monohulls easy to handle yourself? In fact easier in some cases, because you have better visibility from the helm.
There are a lot more lockers foredeck and aft on a Cat for the fenders, lines, bits and bobs without putting them into one big space.

Interiorally, (?) and bear in mind Im not a hoarder or have a lot of stuff, I see a lot more places to put things separately in different areas of a Cat. I would NOt overload a Cat or a mono hull... so 6 knots plus on a smaller one does me fine...

I dont want a 45foot monohull. If I can get the same in a 36foot cat, that is what I said. It has a good cockpit.. a roomy saloon a good galley, decent heads, and good staterooms......plus SPACE between living quarters.

In my limited experience with Cats, I didnt have an issue with visibility. If all lines lead back to the cockpit, there should be no difference in solo handling... You have a bigger deck for getting things sorted.

You will need to step on board a couple to experience the difference.
Old 27-03-2014, 11:00   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just emailed Rick to see what the max loading in terms of weight for a Catalac 8m or 9m is that will not impede sailing ability or safety.

base boat is around 6000lbs.. need to find what that includes as well.

Im researching the Gemini on this as well.

Then I will weigh EVERYTHING that I would carry like clothes, bedding, computer bits and pieces......
and then add the weight of RIB and electronics and sails etc etc....

Anal Im not, but safety conscious I am........comes of being a medic.. I like to know the weight of a patient for certain drugs so as to keep it under the breathing/not breathing threshold........ I believe they appreciate it.
Old 27-03-2014, 11:26   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I just emailed Rick to see what the max loading in terms of weight for a Catalac 8m or 9m is that will not impede sailing ability or safety.

base boat is around 6000lbs.. need to find what that includes as well.

Im researching the Gemini on this as well.

Then I will weigh EVERYTHING that I would carry like clothes, bedding, computer bits and pieces......
and then add the weight of RIB and electronics and sails etc etc....

Anal Im not, but safety conscious I am........comes of being a medic.. I like to know the weight of a patient for certain drugs so as to keep it under the breathing/not breathing threshold........ I believe they appreciate it.

I'm glad to see you didn't include great sailing and speed in the list of advantages. A heavily loaded Catalac will be about the same speed as a monohull.

You can get them moving, but you can't have much stuff or water or fuel.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran