Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 15:16   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Why a Catamaran?

For us Europeans, funny how I dont relate to that term, we have to make sure as an EU resident that we buy a VAT paid vessel for cruising in Europe. Either that or stump up best part of 30% with VAt and import duty on their assessment of the value of the vessel.

All these nice boats all over the world and yet depending who we are, charges are levied to prohibit purchase excepting paying a huge tax for the privelege. If a vessel is financed, it would hurt me to know that 30% is just to pay an extra tax over the duration of the loan.

Moan over. As you were.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 16:23   #47
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

I would agree that any boat with a short LWL isn't a speed demon and that the larger boats mentioned would be better sailors.

I would however recommend avoiding any catamaran with a 'float' fastened to the top of the mast as these would be the very same boats that convinced the sailing world that all catamarans tip over.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 17:28   #48
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I would agree that any boat with a short LWL isn't a speed demon and that the larger boats mentioned would be better sailors.

I would however recommend avoiding any catamaran with a 'float' fastened to the top of the mast as these would be the very same boats that convinced the sailing world that all catamarans tip over.

Only cruising cat that had a masthead float I can think of was the Iroquois.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 19:26   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Only cruising cat that had a masthead float I can think of was the Iroquois.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep ...
Old 29-03-2014, 05:15   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
For us Europeans, funny how I dont relate to that term, we have to make sure as an EU resident that we buy a VAT paid vessel for cruising in Europe. Either that or stump up best part of 30% with VAt and import duty on their assessment of the value of the vessel.

All these nice boats all over the world and yet depending who we are, charges are levied to prohibit purchase excepting paying a huge tax for the privelege. If a vessel is financed, it would hurt me to know that 30% is just to pay an extra tax over the duration of the loan.

Moan over. As you were.
We've been kicking around shipping our Gemini to Europe to cruise for a few years or just buying something local as it avoids some of the hassles with temporary import rules (doesn't apply to you as an EU citizen)

From what I've come across, boat prices in europe already account for vat paid status to a large degree.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 05:18   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We've been kicking around shipping our Gemini to Europe to cruise for a few years or just buying something local as it avoids some of the hassles with temporary import rules (doesn't apply to you as an EU citizen)

From what I've come across, boat prices in europe already account for vat paid status to a large degree.
Yep... but limits the actual manufactures that we can buy...... unless we want to pay the VAT.
Old 29-03-2014, 05:31   #52

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52

We have a cat and enjoy the room and lay out. Especially after dealing with cut up space and steps everywhere and constant swaying. But I am interested in how to "lighten" up the boat in the way of stocking it, provisions etc. fuel and water are necessities but we do have a water maker but what happens if it breaks(it is newly reworked to hopefully prevent that). So I am more interested in this aspect of stocking it "smart" as we get closer to living on it versus 3-6 week trips close to land. I had thought of drying food instead of having canned. Have found freeze dry dog food that can be used dry or wet. Any ideas? But we love our catamaran. Went from 58 ft Hatteras to 45 ft Endeavour (both power) and the Endeavour cat has so much more room and soooo easy to get around. Just my opinion.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 05:39   #53

Really, another Cat vs mono thread? Yawn...
Stendecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:02   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stendecian View Post
We are really honoured. Of all the threads you could have contributed to, you chose this one.

Thank you so much for your comment!

Even though it was off topic, narcissistic and demeaning, we enjoyed finding out all about YOU!

Be sure to open both doors wide when you leave to get your ego through.
Old 29-03-2014, 06:19   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
We have a cat and enjoy the room and lay out. Especially after dealing with cut up space and steps everywhere and constant swaying. But I am interested in how to "lighten" up the boat in the way of stocking it, provisions etc. fuel and water are necessities but we do have a water maker but what happens if it breaks(it is newly reworked to hopefully prevent that). So I am more interested in this aspect of stocking it "smart" as we get closer to living on it versus 3-6 week trips close to land. I had thought of drying food instead of having canned. Have found freeze dry dog food that can be used dry or wet. Any ideas? But we love our catamaran. Went from 58 ft Hatteras to 45 ft Endeavour (both power) and the Endeavour cat has so much more room and soooo easy to get around. Just my opinion.
Just be meticulous.

Get everything you haven't used in a few months off the boat. Getting rid of cans works. Simplify your set of tools. Do you really need that drill press or belt sander?

Get a light RIB. Remove anything that is heavy. Carry no excess junk aboard. If you are costal cruising, you have 2 engines, don't carry spare alternators or spare starters.

Just go through the whole boat looking for weight and get it off of there.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:23   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
Just be meticulous.

Get everything you haven't used in a few months off the boat. Do you really need that drill press ?
Get rid of the drill press?!
Methinks you go too far sir!

True though. I would weigh everything on the boats, and then remove a couple of essentials that I didnt need.
Old 29-03-2014, 06:29   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
Have found freeze dry dog food that can be used dry or wet. Any ideas? But we love our catamaran.
I havent had the necessity or experience to go longer than a few days off shore without stopping in somewhere.

I would not advise that you eat the freeze dried dog food either wet or dry.

jes sayin'
Old 29-03-2014, 08:58   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stendecian View Post
The thread is titled appropriately. You didn't have to come in and read it if this bores you and you certainly didn't have to bother posting, now did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
Just be meticulous.

Get everything you haven't used in a few months off the boat. Getting rid of cans works. Simplify your set of tools. Do you really need that drill press or belt sander?

Get a light RIB. Remove anything that is heavy. Carry no excess junk aboard. If you are costal cruising, you have 2 engines, don't carry spare alternators or spare starters.

Just go through the whole boat looking for weight and get it off of there.
I agree with this. The question was asked how much is too much? I would answer that I know it when I see it.
Old 29-03-2014, 09:53   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay.
Today has been an interesting one.
Last night I wrote to Rick, the guy who has gathered as much information on Catalacs as is possible to have, and asked him about overloading the 8m or 9m. Specifically, what weight is considered overloading......

The answer will be forthcoming.. or in due course, whichever comes first.

So........ my interesting day.

Based on information culled from researching DOZENS of marina charges in the Med......... 10 /10.5 metres is the optimum $/metre for renting a berth.
It also is the MINIMUM length/$ many marinas will start charging at. I dont want to pay more than $16000 a year for rent plus plus. This size allows me to keep within that charge.

• This combined with my knowledge of me,
  • my comfort level,
  • my inclination for compactness,
  • my intended use of a vessel,
  • My preference for total single handed sailing with a smaller mast,
  • and finally, the ongoing replacement or repair costs.
I have decided to stay at 27 minimum to 34 foot maximum.

Further, and this is now pretty clear in my summation, Given the nature of my intended sailing, which will be, in the main, short coastal trips, and having worked on the charts for an hour... I will never be 50 miles maximum from shore in any direction. This is the totality of my intended use for this vessel at this time. Im not going to world cruise. Im not crossing oceans, I know EXACTLY what the parameters are.

This means that it comes down to a personal preference between Catamarans of a known safety standard. Do I want a Catalac? Do I want a Gemini? Do I want a Sunbeam? etc...

It would appear that all the whats and buts and should I's have now gone. Yes I like and wish for some 40+ footers, but it would mean selling another asset and you know......... Im not going to. My intentions were thought out a while back and got sidetracked here and there but now, I see it was a good concept and Im going to move ahead and look in that size range.

It will be my first Catamaran, and if the saying is true, it wont be my last.
Old 29-03-2014, 13:32   #60

A Seawind 1000 might be worth looking at too, although I'm not sure what would be available in Europe.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran