Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2015, 08:26   #46

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Who's Going To Annapolis 2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGator View Post
Would love any tips on how to do the show, do you just get in line to see the boats, or do you have to schedule in advance?
This is a good and important question. As I've live close by and have been attending the Show (almost) every year since around the Carter Administration, I'll claim I'm qualified to answer.

Not surprisingly, Saturday and Sunday are the most crowded days, unless you're lucky and the weather is crappy. In crappy weather the casual gawkers don't attend. It's not unusual on crowded days to have to wait in line to board the popular boats. I've never paid extra to go on VIP day (Thursday), but the extra $$ may be worth it to avoid the crowds on Saturday and Sunday. Friday is not as crowded as Sat & Sun, but more so than Thursday. My favorite day has always been Mondays - it's usually Columbus Day and a US holiday for some working folks but still is the least crowded of any day. It's much easier and a more pleasant experience to attend Monday.

Also, by Monday some tent vendors that will not be working the Power Boat Show (the following week) will be packing up and you can see prices drop for merchandise they don't want to pack up and take back to inventory. This is a crap shoot, you might get lucky.

To board some boats (the large volume production brands) you typically have to sign up to get a boarding sticker. This gives the manufacturer your contact info so they can pester you later.

To board most boats you have to remove your shoes and leave them on the dock - so plan to wear easy on/off shoes like flops, if it's still warm enough.

Park in the Naval Academy football stadium lots and take the shuttle buses to the docks. There will be signs directing you to "Boat Show Parking" as you approach Annapolis. Parking is not free there, but I can't remember how much it is since I have a free secret spot. Alternatively, a popular parking spot is the Elementary School grounds a short walk across the draw bridge south of the docks for US$20. More expensive than the football parking, but it's a short walk back to your car to stow any goodies you bought and don't want to carry around all day. Yes, you get a wrist band for leaving/re-entering the show. BTW, buy your tickets in advance at the Boat Show website: US Sailboat Show.

Enjoy!

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 11:51   #47

Thanks for the rundown 2Hulls you answered my burning questions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 15:33   #48

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGator View Post
I'll be there Friday-Sunday. I'm starting from scratch, looking at possibly buying something small next year, but want to look at the new cats that will be the used cats I'm looking atbin7-8 years! Would love any tips on how to do the show, do you just get in line to see the boats, or do you have to schedule in advance?
I live not far away, and have been to several of these shows. I am going this year too. I'm about a year away from purchase myself.

You don't really have to get in lines, unless it's an extremely popular boat, or a world premiere or something. Then someone will limit people going on board to a few at a time, so it doesn't get too crowded.

I recommend to anyone using the bathroom before going, and don't drink a lot of water while there. The only toilets around are either in the restaurant (which might be hard to reach) or porta-potties which are usually near the entrance and can be also be hard to reach. For some reason, the boat vendors heavily frown on anyone using the heads in the boats on display!!

If you are going for three days, you will be very tired by the third day! Don't forget to see the brokerage cove too. It was an interesting addition last year.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 16:53   #49

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Well, I'm returning home to Md from Sidney, BC Canada tomorrow morning, having bought a Corair 36 trimaran, so the Annaplois show will be our shopping trip for our new (to us) baby! See ya there!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 18:19   #50

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

I'll post this again, while my first mate and I are in Annapolis for the show, if anyone is going to be doing any sailing we would sure appreciate the opportunity to be crew either Thursday night or afternoon or Friday night or afternoon. 320 980 4029 send a text.

what say you?
Old 20-09-2015, 08:53   #51

Boat: Hunter 36

BTW, I should add something else. The weekend following the United States sailboat show is the United States powerboat show. If you are still in town, I recommend that too.

"But we aren't interested in a powerboat!" - you will say.

It's still worth going, and I'll tell you why. During the powerboat show, you can go see all the vendors who sell clothing, maps, boat equipment, etc, all the stuff you missed because you were too busy looking at sailboats the week before! Plus, last year there was a motorsailer or two on display.

The only downside is the envy of seeing powerboat luxury: fly bridges, full size refrigerators, etc...
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 17:04   #52

Boat: FP, Helia 44 2016

We will be there Friday,Sat., and Sun. Miami was Great. We can't wait.
So close to getting a multihull. Seconds away.
lsymens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:08   #53

Not sure which days we'll be there, but we're literally a few hours away; I have the loan docs in hand, and as soon as we meet with the notary this morning, we'll be able to say we have a new member in our family; a Corsair 36 tri, named MOMENTUM

We leave tomorrow for a weekend sailing clinic with Randy Smyth and Don Wigston down in Ft. Walton beach; see everybody at the show in Annapolis!

Best regards,
~Lee
Old 01-10-2015, 03:07   #54

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

My wife and I will be there. I'll be in the Lagoon display while my wife is shopping. I'd be happy to meet and talk to fellow CF'ers. And if you say your cruising area is Puerto Rico when you check in you'll get a light blue sticker that sort of directs you to me. Don't worry, if you are a serious potential buyer from a different broker's area I'll be happy to point you toward the broker for your area.

If you are interested in buying a Lagoon, or a Jeanneau, and sailing it or having it in charter in the Caribbean I'd be VERY happy to meet with you and tell you why we chose SailCaribe to place our boats into charter. We have had 5 boats in charter with them starting in 2009 and still have three in charter with them.

But don't worry, I am not a high pressure salesperson. If you just want to kick tires I'd still be happy to meet you.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:38   #55

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Those coming in for the show need to keep an eye on Joaquin. Even if the Chesapeake is not directly hit, the storm's residual impacts will be felt. No matter what happens, there's likely to be some amount of flooding at Annapolis city dock this weekend and, if it's particularly bad, it may be difficult to rectify its effects in time for a Thursday show opening as the setup is scheduled to start this weekend. Same goes for any widespread power outages in the area.

Also, the mid-Atlantic offshore conditions have been quite rough due to a slow-moving frontal system stalled over the area since the beginning of this week. Winds on the bay itself are expected to increase to 20 knots today and build into the upper 20s and likely higher Friday and through the weekend. Even in a best-case scenario with the hurricane itself, these conditions will certainly complicate deliveries of display boats not already lying in or near Annapolis.

I don't want to be alarmist and I know the boat show organizers have done a spectacular job of pulling the show off rain or shine in the past. That said, I don't remember a precedent for this type of weather impacting the area within only 4 days of the show opening. Best bet is to keep an eye on the weather, keep an eye on the boat show website, and keep in touch with any vendors you want to visit.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:33   #56

Boat: Leopard 40

Tom and I will be anchored between the Eastport YC and the Capital Marina. We plan to arrive either Sunday or Monday. PM us if you want to get together.

Or we can just pick a place, date, and time to meet up.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:17   #57

Last minute.....think we will be there on thursday. Then have to fly to Europe for a few days. So this is just a quick stop over for us.

Question....Having not attended a boat show in decades....is 1 day enough? We can possibly do friday as well if need be.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:24   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Last minute.....think we will be there on thursday. Then have to fly to Europe for a few days. So this is just a quick stop over for us.

Question....Having not attended a boat show in decades....is 1 day enough? We can possibly do friday as well if need be.

If you're just looking at boats, or picking up something specific, one day will do. If you're shopping, either for a boat or things for the boat, you need to determine how long you have, how long it'll take, and do you also want to peruse the yachts?
Old 01-10-2015, 09:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
If you're just looking at boats, or picking up something specific, one day will do. If you're shopping, either for a boat or things for the boat, you need to determine how long you have, how long it'll take, and do you also want to peruse the yachts?
Thanks for the quick response Lee.

We are just going to look at and compare various catamarans. My impression is that Thursday is the best day to go in terms of crowds.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:01   #60

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Thanks for the quick response Lee.

We are just going to look at and compare various catamarans. My impression is that Thursday is the best day to go in terms of crowds.
yes..it is. We always go on Thursday to see the majority of the cats. As for your original question. ... i could spend 4 days there and never run out of things to do and see. However. . I could also see the vast majority of things that are important to me in one day...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis