Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2016, 00:57   #31

Re: Who uses an outhaul?

Well, thank you to all the contributors.

Although I own the cat, I regularly crew on a racing 40' mono where we spend every second trimming and adjusting sheets, traveler, cunningham, halyards, vang, back stays, and of course, the outhaul, trying to eke out an extra 0.5kt. All good fun and the purpose of racing - doing the best you can with what you've got....

So, I will take the wrap on the knuckles offered by some of you in my stride and give it a go, using the third reef hardware (until I need it for reefing purposes - my next 45kt encounter).

In terms of upwind performance, I tend to stall the headsail before the the main so doubt I will get a better wind angle but maybe achieve less leeway with the outhaul on tight. When well off the wind, sail shape is largely limited by the aft swept shrouds coming into contact with the battens so will have to see what effect the deeper draught will have with the outhaul eased.

Lots to play with during next month's 200nm northward trip.

M.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outhaul