Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-03-2014, 17:36   #1

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Whitsunday Black water discharge

Have been to the Whitsundays quite a bit over the years in different boats including charter.
Contemplating going up this year for a few months.My boat does not have a holding tank but a macerator with Saniloo attached.We do have a Porta Potti.
Was just looking at the current discharge charts and wondering how to cope in some of the areas.I really do not want to fit a holding tank if possible and have been doing a bit of research on composing loos.Any solutions or comments??
By my interpretation it seems you can discharge anything in places like Hill inlet and Sawmill Bay Area.That does not gel with me!
Chris

Old 08-03-2014, 18:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Re: Whitsunday Black water discharge

> By my interpretation it seems you can discharge anything in places like Hill inlet and Sawmill Bay Area.That does not gel with me!

You can if you have a macerator and less than seven people on board. So if you've got more than six on board, send the extras for a swim around the boat while you are pushing out the slurry

Old 08-03-2014, 21:56   #3

Ha ha have that happen but I was the crash test dummy in the water at the time.
However I really don't want to be in and out of the anchorage twice a day for a discharge.
I know the charter boats have tanks but struggle to believe that most others would have holding tanks or com posters so guess a lot of naughty discharges
Chris
Old 09-03-2014, 16:17   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Not sure what part of the legislation the concept of 6 people comes from,

here is the excerpt from msq
Quote:
The nil discharge waters for untreated sewage (that is, the waters where the discharge of untreated sewage is not permitted) from a ship (other than a declared ship) are as follows:

Prohibited discharge waters
Smooth waters
If a ship has 16 or more persons onboard – Hervey Bay waters, northern Moreton Bay waters and open waters.
Hervey Bay waters and northern Moreton Bay waters within 1852 metres (or one nautical mile) of any of the following:
aquaculture fisheries resources
a reef
the mean low water mark of the mainland.
Open waters:
Within 926 metres (or nautical mile) of a wharf or a jetty other than a jetty that is a marina.
Within 1852 metres (or one nautical mile) of aquaculture fisheries resources.
If a ship has seven to 15 persons onboard – within 1852 metres (or one nautical mile) of any of the following:
a reef
the mean low water mark of an island or the mainland.
Note: any ship that has 16 or more persons onboard is prohibited from discharging untreated sewage within all Queensland coastal waters.

(See Transport Operations (Marine Pollution) Regulation 2008, schedule 4 — Nil discharge waters for untreated sewage, section 44)

Nil discharge waters for treated sewage for all ships (other than a declared ship)

The nil discharge waters for treated sewage (that is the waters where the discharge of treated sewage is not permitted) from a ship (other than a declared ship) are as follows:

Prohibited discharge waters
For grade C treated sewage – Hervey Bay waters, northern Moreton Bay waters, open waters and smooth waters within 926 metres (or nautical mile) of any of the following:
a person in the water
a reef.
For grade B treated sewage – Hervey Bay waters, northern Moreton Bay waters, open waters and smooth waters within 700 metres of any of the following:
a person in the water
a reef.
For grade A treated sewage – there are no additional precautionary discharge distances from sensitive areas. As such, grade A treated sewage may be lawfully discharged in all waters outside prohibited discharge waters.
The difference between treated and non treated is dependant on your system. Either way, at no time under any circumstances can you discharge into Sawmill Bay or Hill Inlet, no matter what system and what type of vessell, all round all the islands is prohibited discharge. You really have little option but a holding tank, or use the porta potty
Old 09-03-2014, 19:01   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Be that as it may, we've been told countless times that the charter boats are told to pump their holding tanks out in Whitsunday Passage before returning to the docks and that there is a significant added charge if they do not do it.

FWIW, e. coli are a bacteria that live is one's own gut, and the guts of other mammals, so I don't know how its presence would affect the health of someone swimming in water that contained some of it. It will come down in streams and through drains, and all the dog, cat, and agrigultural beast poo is bart of the "normal environment" of today. Fish are known to eat excrement, and apparently thrive in it--and of course all sea life excretes in the sea, and some bird life as well, if it misses your boat.

Of course, one does wonder what the law writers would do if they didn't have us to boss around.

The hypocrisy though is that when there's a land based sewage spill, it is termed an "incident" and one yacht's worth of poo is a "crime". Like I often say, "there's a lot of craziness in the world."

Ann
Old 09-03-2014, 19:12   #6

Boat: Leopard 40

If I understand correctly, in the USA, you can hang your butt over the side and drop what you will into the water. If you put it in a bucket and dump it over, you are in violation of the no discharge zone.
Old 09-03-2014, 19:34   #7

"FWIW, e. coli are a bacteria that live is one's own gut, and the guts of other mammals, so I don't know how its presence would affect the health of someone swimming in water that contained some of it. It will come down in streams and through drains, and all the dog, cat, and agrigultural beast poo is bart of the "normal environment" of today. Fish are known to eat excrement, and apparently thrive in it--and of course all sea life excretes in the sea, and some bird life as well, if it misses your boat.

Of course, one does wonder what the law writers would do if they didn't have us to boss around. "

It is a misconception that, to paraphrase your response " E. coli are in your gut anyway, so what's the problem putting it in the ocean?", these bacteria are not pathogenic, ie. disease causing. They do cause disease. There are not only many types of E. Coli , some pathogenic and some not, but also many, many other Genus of bacteria and virus, that are a no no for putting into waterways. They are all classified as fecal coliforms and can cause a wide range of health issues, from mild to severe.

It is true that the cloride ion in saltwater has a disinfectant effect but it is not 100% and does nothing for virus, generally speaking.

I used to be a water bacteriologist in earlier years testing recreational waters for these nasties, and it is surprising how long they can persist in the water and how far they can spread from the source of the pollution.
Old 09-03-2014, 19:52   #8

Boat: None yet

Also, the discharge regs are there to protect the reefs, not necessarily the people swimming around the reefs. Human waste is nutrient rich and would cause algal blooms and damage to the reef ecology. Discharging in deeper water away from sensitive ecosystems mitigates the damage.
Old 09-03-2014, 20:47   #9

I worked for a while on a day-trip cat in the Whitsundays.
One of the entertainments was dragging the backpackers in a large net strung between the sterns.
One time someone used the direct pump-out head, a nice brown cloud swept into them. Ah, the sound of screaming backpackers...............
Old 09-03-2014, 20:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

> Not sure what part of the legislation the concept of 6 people comes from,

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/ms...usewage_10.pdf

MAP S31-60-1
Version 3 - effective 1 January 2010
Copyright: The State of Queensland 2010
Prepared 21 December 2009
Maritime Safety Queensland - Spatial Services

No discharge within 926m of a wharf or jetty other than a jetty that is a marina

No discharge within 1852m of an aquaculture fisheries resource (e.g. an oyster
lease).

If a ship has 7 to 15 persons on board, no discharge within 1852m
of a reef, or the mean low water mark of an island or the mainland
No discharge if a ship has 16 or more persons on board

and the second page:

Open Waters
* For ships with 1–6 personson board
– Nil Discharge within nautical mile (926 metres) of a wharf or jetty (other than a jetty that is a marina)
– Nil Discharge within 1 nautical mile (1,852 metres) of aquaculture fisheries resources (such as oyster leases or a fish farms, for
example)
* For ships with 7–15 personson board, as aboveplus
– Nil Discharge within 1 nautical mile (1,852 metres) of a reef or the mean low water mark of an island or the mainland
* For ships with 16 or more personson board
– Nil Discharge

> Either way, at no time under any circumstances can you discharge into Sawmill Bay or Hill Inlet,

According to the colouring and legend on the referenced map, that is a Blue areas and the above rules apply.
Old 09-03-2014, 20:57   #11

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Charter yachts are just about universally told to dump their holding tanks off "Pioneer Rocks" which simply concentrates all the dumped poop in one location anyway, which would only be marginally greater, if at all, than 3 miles from the nearest shoreline. I can also mention the time after a night spent on the public mooring off "Lover's Cove" on the NW side of Daydream Island at dawn when a stinking, smelly brown mass of sewerage floated past for about an hour. I can only assume this was both discharged from the nearby resort and that it dispersed eventually with no harm to the environment.

There are shore based facilities around a lot of the busier anchorages. My previous boat didn't have a holding tank and we would use the dunnies onshore whenever possible. A porta potti was stowed onboard to make us compliant, but it was never used. Sometimes we used double bagged plastic garbage bags in an, ahem, emergency and other times simply discretion between anchorages.

On a side note, it's amazing how many yachts have unused holding tanks around here. One advantage of living in a population backwater I guess.
Old 09-03-2014, 22:44   #12

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/ms...tsewage_10.pdf

Above is the link to the map.Right or wrong the way I interpret the area of Sawmill bay/CID harbour is blue so OK to dump grade C .If positioned correctly in that same bay you can also be more than .5 NM from land or known reefs.
What I find a bit odd that in the printed dos and donts is the reference to aquaculture,people and reefs not land and Im sure it used to be land as the reference point.
Ann
We have chartered in the Whitsundays about a dozen times and the message is as you say dump it on the way back or you will pay pump out fees.But have always been told to let it go in the designated areas.
I am in no way interested in a holding tank so to comply would mean Airhead or similar and will research more.But as it stands we have realised we have two identical Porta potties in the garage at home so will probably take one complete and one tank which if we stick to the rules will give us about a week or more at anchor without the need to discharge.Only issue is now better half tells me middle of saloon,galley or cockpit is not a grat place to park or use the Porta potti
Chris
Old 10-03-2014, 01:32   #13

On a new build we are seriously considering composting toilets. So far they sound excellent but would like to hear from anyone who is a user or has any experience with them. Maybe that needs a new thread.

To avoid the frequent urine emptying task I was thinking of connecting the liquids receptacle with a pump out, as that has minimal environmental impact.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:39   #14

Yeah with the urine I think it could be simply putting it thru the current head,not legal,or in our case will put in a Porta Potti tank until in a position off shore to dump over the side or again through the current head.
I am surprised with the dumping regulations we have in Australia there are not more composters and retail outlets to take a look at them rather than a bit of leap of faith picking one online as from what have read both Air head and nature head have pluses and minuses.We will probably put one in our Caravan as well if they work out OK.
Chris
Old 10-03-2014, 05:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Yeah with the urine I think it could be simply putting it thru the current head,not legal,or in our case will put in a Porta Potti tank until in a position off shore to dump over the side or again through the current head.
I am surprised with the dumping regulations we have in Australia there are not more composters and retail outlets to take a look at them rather than a bit of leap of faith picking one online as from what have read both Air head and nature head have pluses and minuses.We will probably put one in our Caravan as well if they work out OK.
Chris
It could be as we tend to use our boats more than most, poo does not get a chance to compost so you would be dumping raw poo mixed with peat or coy. Where do you dump it over the side where it may float like a weed raft or maybe bury it on white heaven beach.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: