Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Choose one and tell me why, thanks
PDQ 36 11 33.33%
Catana 41'~43' 3 9.09%
Chris White Atlantic 15 45.45%
Sundeer 60 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 16:51   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why.

The Chris white if you can afford it - the catana if you cant. But there are many other good boats.

Mind you according to Nicks recorded performance figures you could buy a sundeer and win the Sydney to Hobart as a side benefit. Many people ask where will you park a multi, not sure where you will park a 60 foot mono.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 16:58   #17

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
I went around the world in company with two Sundeer 60s (and twenty or so other boats). The Sundeers spent all their time looking for the calmest possible anchorage. And by calm I mean Dead Calm because otherwise they were rocking and rolling appallingly.

One of those two is on the market now as the owner is looking for a cat for his next adventure.

The Catana I like except for the helm position. Fry in good weather, get soaked in bad. I know nothing about the others.
Mike, same issue for me with the Cal 40, but back in those days there were few cats for us to realize by comparison how we shouldn't roll so much on the hook. Because I want to cruise back in Alaska, the inside helm of the Chris White Atlantic is looking better all the time.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:03   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

try to sail as much as ye can on as many as ye can before committing dough to something ye may not be happy with---even if ye has to go to ends of earth to do it--could be well worth yer while, me friend.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The Chris white if you can afford it - the catana if you cant. But there are many other good boats.

Mind you according to Nicks recorded performance figures you could buy a sundeer and win the Sydney to Hobart as a side benefit. Many people ask where will you park a multi, not sure where you will park a 60 foot mono.
Factor, your boat has always held a high interest to me, as it is very light and fast. Because of this I have to ask, does it accelerate and de-accelerate quickly in gusty winds? I have sailed a F28 in the gusty mountain winds of Lake Tahoe, and while fun, I'm thinking all those quick speed changes could get tiresome if prolonged.
Old 03-06-2012, 17:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
try to sail as much as ye can on as many as ye can before committing dough to something ye may not be happy with---even if ye has to go to ends of earth to do it--could be well worth yer while, me friend.
I know zee, I was just plain lucky on the Cal 40, having never sailed one other than the 4 hours spent on it prior to purchase. Can't expect that dumb luck again, and the next purchase is a lot more coin.
Old 03-06-2012, 17:29   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I am having a hard time deciding on which cruising boat and my short list of 3 just grew to 4. As it would be nice if owners of the above 4 would leave comments, except for 2, the others are low numbers in production. Like most of us, we all read a lot on our dream boats, so that input and links would be helpful. Not in any order......

1) PDQ 36, light at 8500 lbs, well thought out design, plenty to choose from, and leaves the most in the cruising kitty after purchase. Drawbacks are slow, and not as good passage maker as the other 3.

2) Catana 41'~43', again, light for length, owner's versions available (don't need or want 4 staterooms and 4 heads), much faster than PDQ 36 but at twice the price.

3) Chris White design Atlantic, perfect cruiser for cold weather cruising, fast, light, and even more expensive than Catana with few built or on the market.

4) Sundeer 60, 64 exceeds my price range, but with the possible exception of the Chris White Atlantic, probably the best and fastest passage maker of the entire group. Plus, losing all the advantages of a cat, deep draft, more rolling in anchorages, and less entertaining real estate of a cat.

I'm not going to suggest which boat to get, but I suggest you consider speed carefully. Whether you're just doing coastal cruising or decide to cross the Atlantic or Pacific, speed is good in destination sailing.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:42   #22

well, it is a diverse list... but I understand the problem. I would definitely opt for an older TPI built Lagoon 37 or 42 in lieu of the PDQ.... if you are buying older boats (90's). Bridgedeck clearance being one of the reasons. I think those atlantics are very nice, but I guess that would be a new $500k + boat.... When I bought my cat in 98, I researched the catana. All the hype was great, factory video etc etc. But the one boat I saw just seemed cheap to me. maybe "lightweight" just feels/looks cheap to me .... I dont know....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'm not going to suggest which boat to get, but I suggest you consider speed carefully. Whether you're just doing coastal cruising or decide to cross the Atlantic or Pacific, speed is good in destination sailing.
I know. All but the PDQ36 are rather fast boats, the Sundeer in crappy confused seas would probably be the fastest with acceptable comfort of the group. Sorry cat fans.
Old 03-06-2012, 18:34   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Which would you vote for and why.

Quote:
Greg, how astute you are. I have the time to wait out an exceptional buy, as I'm caring for my dad right now. Without me selling the house, the PDQ36 is the only one I could buy free and clear, and it has to be purchased outright because I'm not having some insurance company telling me when and where I can sail to protect the bank's interest. The Catana, if a firehouse sale, I could swing also, but a Sundeer or CW Atlantic requires some of the proceeds from the house. So my dilemma is this, when my services to pop are no longer required, at the age I'll be, need to sprint into cruising with minimum delay. That won't allow anytime for finding that great sale on the top 2 boats that require some of my home's equity, hence a bit of research into the 2 "dream boats" that I will be expecting to pay market price.
Unless you already have all the retirement funds you're going to need, I wouldn't put my home equity in a boat. Better to use it for a cruising kitty and get the boat you can buy outright. IMHO
Old 03-06-2012, 18:47   #25

Re: Which would you vote for and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Unless you already have all the retirement funds you're going to need, I wouldn't put my home equity in a boat. Better to use it for a cruising kitty and get the boat you can buy outright. IMHO
Yes, that is how I should do it, but you can't take it with you and I have no heirs for my modest estate. I would have sold this home awhile ago if the market wouldn't have tanked. I have a second small vacation residence in a resort community that I plan on keeping should I become unable to cruise.
Old 03-06-2012, 18:49   #26

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
I know. All but the PDQ36 are rather fast boats, the Sundeer in crappy confused seas would probably be the fastest with acceptable comfort of the group. Sorry cat fans.
No sorry there. You simply can't compare a Sundeer 64 with any 36-40ft cat in crappy confused seaswhich is what Dashew built his vessel for (comfort with min crew pasagemaking). Now a 60ft M&M would be an interesting and more valid compare. You have to decide first if you want a cat or large mono and move from there.

Now the SMG 50 you were following would suit your requirements also.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 19:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
No sorry there. You simply can't compare a Sundeer 64 with any 36-40ft cat in crappy confused seaswhich is what Dashew built his vessel for (comfort with min crew pasagemaking). Now a 60ft M&M would be an interesting and more valid compare. You have to decide first if you want a cat or large mono and move from there.

Now the SMG 50 you were following would suit your requirements also.
I'm still on with that SMG 50, out of 4, only one came on the market at $528,000, sat for awhile (around 6 months) price reduced to $358,585 and sold at ??. So I figure low to mid $300's for the next one, and I'm one of those odd ball supporters of electric/diesel hybrid drives.

Also, I'm not up to date on makes and designers, so is M&M Morrelli & Melvin? Bill Lapworth and Bill Lee I can remember from my past and currently Chris White, Grainger and Schionning are catching my interest for current designs.
Old 03-06-2012, 19:49   #28

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
I'm still on with that SMG 50, out of 4, only one came on the market at $528,000, sat for awhile (around 6 months) price reduced to $358,585 and sold at ??. So I figure low to mid $300's for the next one, and I'm one of those odd ball supporters of electric/diesel hybrid drives.

Also, I'm not up to date on makes and designers, so is M&M Morrelli & Melvin? Bill Lapworth and Bill Lee I can remember from my past and currently Chris White, Grainger and Schionning are catching my interest for current designs.
Morelli & Melvin

MM62 Mala Conducta Photo Gallery - Morrelli & Melvin | Multihull Design * Engineering * Brokerage
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45   #29

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

One thing that concerns me a little is that you are looking at high performance boats but you are going to mainly be single handing. Personally I much prefer a less performance oriented boat because I am sailing mostly with my wife or single handing.

An Atlantic 47 went over last year despite being well crewed and heavily reefed at the time. High performance boats do everything much more quickly and for a tired single hander that can be disastrous. I haven't seen you mention Privilege on your list of possibles yet this is one of the brands used most regularly by long distance cat cruisers.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:27   #30

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
The Catana I like except for the helm position. Fry in good weather, get soaked in bad. I know nothing about the others.
+1. We like to browse multis at the boat shows, etc to keep our options open. The Catanas we've seen are fine boats, but their helm position rules them out for us.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote