Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Choose one and tell me why, thanks
PDQ 36 11 33.33%
Catana 41'~43' 3 9.09%
Chris White Atlantic 15 45.45%
Sundeer 60 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 12:52   #1

Boat: too many
Which Would You Vote For and Why

I am having a hard time deciding on which cruising boat and my short list of 3 just grew to 4. As it would be nice if owners of the above 4 would leave comments, except for 2, the others are low numbers in production. Like most of us, we all read a lot on our dream boats, so that input and links would be helpful. Not in any order......

1) PDQ 36, light at 8500 lbs, well thought out design, plenty to choose from, and leaves the most in the cruising kitty after purchase. Drawbacks are slow, and not as good passage maker as the other 3.

2) Catana 41'~43', again, light for length, owner's versions available (don't need or want 4 staterooms and 4 heads), much faster than PDQ 36 but at twice the price.

3) Chris White design Atlantic, perfect cruiser for cold weather cruising, fast, light, and even more expensive than Catana with few built or on the market.

4) Sundeer 60, 64 exceeds my price range, but with the possible exception of the Chris White Atlantic, probably the best and fastest passage maker of the entire group. Plus, losing all the advantages of a cat, deep draft, more rolling in anchorages, and less entertaining real estate of a cat.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 13:13   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Which would you vote for and why.

That's an unusual short list if you don't mind me saying so. You don't mention a budget but it must be a wide one since the PDQ is half or a third of the CW Atlantic or the Sundeer. I voted for the Atlantic since I'd prefer a cat over a mono and it seems the best of the bunch.
Old 02-06-2012, 14:48   #3

Your right about it being a wide range. I sure wouldn't mind getting into PDQ36 for $125K, but like you, if spending 2~3X, the Atlantic sure rings my bell.
Old 02-06-2012, 14:53   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

none of the above. i like heavy full keeled clipper bow classics.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 15:14   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Deckofficer
I won't be weighing in about the boats, I don't own any of these or have any experience with em, just though I'd help with the clarity. It would help if you mentioned your cruising grounds, range, how long you want to be out there, how many cruising with you, even age of crew aboard etc.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 02-06-2012, 15:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Deckofficer
I won't be weighing in about the boats, I don't own any of these or have any experience with em, just though I'd help with the clarity. It would help if you mentioned your cruising grounds, range, how long you want to be out there, how many cruising with you, even age of crew aboard etc.
Cheers,
Erika
Currently 59, past solo cruiser, more than likely solo for next time out. Almost all cruising grounds, PNW, Alaska, Mexico, South Pacific, Caribbean, Med. Out there for most my remaining life. Past miles "out there" around 250,000.

And Zee, you know that I know your preferences. lol
Old 02-06-2012, 15:44   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why.

Honestly don't know the Cats at all except the names, but I know the Sundeer was purpose designed for fast short-handed offshore sailing. It may be the cats were designed specifically for short-handed sailing but can't say.

The Sundeer's 6' draft doesn't strike me as that deep unless the cats are all around 3' in which case I can see the issue.

Talk to Jedi who is on a Sundeer.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 15:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Honestly don't know the Cats at all except the names, but I know the Sundeer was purpose designed for fast short-handed offshore sailing. It may be the cats were designed specifically for short-handed sailing but can't say.

The Sundeer's 6' draft doesn't strike me as that deep unless the cats are all around 3' in which case I can see the issue.

Talk to Jedi who is on a Sundeer.
Thank you for that, and yes I talk to Nick all the time. S/V Jedi is a 64', but I didn't create a piece of the Internet and sold it like Nick and Josie did, so only the 60' is attainable for me coin-wise.
Old 02-06-2012, 15:56   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Bob That is a Short List for sure!! Looked at all of them, One in person,the PDQ. The others online only!! Seen Sundeers around the world over the years ! and If I was allowed to Covet one of them it would be the sundeer!! But then Im gonna be almost single handing anything I buy so it sorta tops my list !! now all I need is a bigger buget !! LOL
Old 02-06-2012, 16:02   #10

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
And Zee, you know that I know your preferences. lol
I think we all know Zee's preferences, shy as she is to share them

My preferences are closer to Zee's than the OPs.

Honestly DeckOfficer, with your experience (and given the high quality of your posts here) I would recommend not trying to home in on one model at this point. Better to take a look at what is up for sale that fits the bill 'close enough' and seek out the opportunity to grab one cheap. I have seen some great buys lately for those who are patient and come in with low-ball offers to desperate sellers. Unless money is no object, greater flexibility will likely result in a better price.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 16:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I think we all know Zee's preferences, shy as she is to share them

My preferences are closer to Zee's than the OPs.

Honestly DeckOfficer, with your experience (and given the high quality of your posts here) I would recommend not trying to home in on one model at this point. Better to take a look at what is up for sale that fits the bill 'close enough' and seek out the opportunity to grab one cheap. I have seen some great buys lately for those who are patient and come in with low-ball offers to desperate sellers. Unless money is no object, greater flexibility will likely result in a better price.

Greg
Greg, how astute you are. I have the time to wait out an exceptional buy, as I'm caring for my dad right now. Without me selling the house, the PDQ36 is the only one I could buy free and clear, and it has to be purchased outright because I'm not having some insurance company telling me when and where I can sail to protect the bank's interest. The Catana, if a firehouse sale, I could swing also, but a Sundeer or CW Atlantic requires some of the proceeds from the house. So my dilemma is this, when my services to pop are no longer required, at the age I'll be, need to sprint into cruising with minimum delay. That won't allow anytime for finding that great sale on the top 2 boats that require some of my home's equity, hence a bit of research into the 2 "dream boats" that I will be expecting to pay market price.
Old 02-06-2012, 16:51   #12

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Bob-

Since you do have some time, have identified a design or two that might fit the bill and be affordable, then I would recommend tracking individual boats on yacht world or wherever you are looking. If you see any that have been listed for some time, or that have had recent price reductions, or the owner may be impatient, consider making a lowball offer - if possible, direct to the owner. I have seen boats with high asking prices suddenly go for a bargain price once the owners were ready to deal.

Consider this: this recession probably has a few more years to run, but will turn up at some point. So no need for rush, but a long delay could move boats out of reach. If you would really prefer the Catana, then scout them out and start making low offers when you find one that is 'right' and the owner is ready to make a deal. You might surprise yourself.

A ~36' powerboat next to me just went for well under $10k. It needed a new tranny and the two 350's tuned, and that was it. So for not much more than $10k he got a fine boat - not his ideal choice, but about 1/3 of the price of the other boat he was looking at (which was also a good deal). He got this deal because he was actively out looking, was flexible as to design, made his own quick estimation of it's state (no survey), and offered cash (~1/2 asking) without conditions before anyone else even had a chance to look at it. This is not the way I would normally do business, but in this market it can work very well.

Good luck,

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 17:23   #13

I'm actively looking, keeping track of picks that haven't moved for quite awhile, after the owners lower the price, another waiting game to determine if the lower price shook anyone out of the woodwork. I'm on a "sales pending" list for a few large brokers.
Old 02-06-2012, 18:06   #14

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Invite me for a sail on those four boats and then I'll tell you what I think of them, grin!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12   #15

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Thank you for that, and yes I talk to Nick all the time. S/V Jedi is a 64', but I didn't create a piece of the Internet and sold it like Nick and Josie did, so only the 60' is attainable for me coin-wise.
I went around the world in company with two Sundeer 60s (and twenty or so other boats). The Sundeers spent all their time looking for the calmest possible anchorage. And by calm I mean Dead Calm because otherwise they were rocking and rolling appallingly.

One of those two is on the market now as the owner is looking for a cat for his next adventure.

The Catana I like except for the helm position. Fry in good weather, get soaked in bad. I know nothing about the others.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote