Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Choose one and tell me why, thanks
PDQ 36 11 33.33%
Catana 41'~43' 3 9.09%
Chris White Atlantic 15 45.45%
Sundeer 60 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 17:52   #61

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I should listen to you, as you are training the future Laura Dekker in that niece of yours. How ya doing Frank?
Doing good! Boat's going on the hard for a few weeks for bottom paint, a new prop (flex-o-fold, woot woot!), and to fix a crack in the mast caused by freeze/thaw a few years ago (but just noticed a few months ago!). Headed to Mexico for vacation while our home isn't floating, then a wedding, etc, etc....keeping busy & having fun traveling!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:15   #62

Boat: too many
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I know this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum but when it comes to catamarans you can throw the nada book out the window. It's absolutely
useless. The only way you would find a 2000 model PDQ 36 for that price would be sunk on the bottom. I'm of the opinion that if you get one of the earlier models in the low $100k range your getting a good deal on a great boat.
Is this a common thought just for the cat market? When I bought my Cal 40 for $16K equipped as it was, the range was (from memory) $12K~$19K, seller was asking $26K. I know the market is the selling price, but for vehicles and vessels of value, a range has to be determined for the banks to finance. Are what you telling me is for a cat purchase if financed, the buyer has to come up with both a 25% down on the appraised value of say $90K but add to that a difference in selling price vs appraised ? I think that alone would kill the market, there aren't many that do a cash purchase. The buyer needing financing would have to pay something over $70K in the down payment.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:20   #63

Boat: too many
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Doing good! Boat's going on the hard for a few weeks for bottom paint, a new prop (flex-o-fold, woot woot!), and to fix a crack in the mast caused by freeze/thaw a few years ago (but just noticed a few months ago!). Headed to Mexico for vacation while our home isn't floating, then a wedding, etc, etc....keeping busy & having fun traveling!

Frank
Are you headed for Mexico pre hurricane season? You know it started early this year with two named already coming through. Zeehag is at a new Marina just north of PV and got hit by the remnants of "Bud".

Congrats on the folding prop. Always nice to spend on an upgrade and not a repair.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:49   #64
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer

Is this a common thought just for the cat market? When I bought my Cal 40 for $16K equipped as it was, the range was (from memory) $12K~$19K, seller was asking $26K. I know the market is the selling price, but for vehicles and vessels of value, a range has to be determined for the banks to finance. Are what you telling me is for a cat purchase if financed, the buyer has to come up with both a 25% down on the appraised value of say $90K but add to that a difference in selling price vs appraised ? I think that alone would kill the market, there aren't many that do a cash purchase. The buyer needing financing would have to pay something over $70K in the down payment.
From what I've heard it's very hard to get financing on a boat at this time. We bought our first cat 20 years ago and even then the nada was way of. I just checked the nada on a 1993 PDQ 36'with minimal equipment and it came in at less than $50k.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 23:22   #65

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

A option could be a few Oram 44C,s available when you are ready.

Used Oram 44C boats for sale, used Oram 44C trailer boats for sale - boatsales.com.au

Bob Oram 44c: Sailing Catamaran for Sale | Composite Sail Boats | Boats Online | Queensland (Qld) - Mooloolaba Qld

Quite a few of them have been built by professional boat builders.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote