Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Choose one and tell me why, thanks
PDQ 36 11 33.33%
Catana 41'~43' 3 9.09%
Chris White Atlantic 15 45.45%
Sundeer 60 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 15:56   #46
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
This is my fault. I went back to my first post and made no mention of which Chris White offering. As much as I would love to have a Atlantic 57, the 42~48 are more in my price range. I'll state the range, after the sale of my principal residence (keeping my tiny vacation digs), a max of $350K, so Gunboats, new Catanas, any CW larger than 48' are not on the table. Cruising grounds to include Alaska, and I'm a solo sailor. I'm leaning towards a Atlantic 42 or the next SMG 50 that comes on the market. Of course when the time comes, a really good (cheap) price on anyone mentioned would carry a lot of weight.
Just wondering ... can a CW 42 or a Sundeer 60 be handled solo? I would think a cat 40' or less might make more sense.
__________________

__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:17   #47
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Thanks Marshall. I just got back from the Chris White site again and again, and I need to put an engagement ring on one of his boats as I think I'm falling in love. lol For my intended cruising and duration, stepping up with most of my available coin for one of his designs is making more sense to me. And as the saying goes, "you can't take it with you", and I have no children to pass off an estate to. If I could get one of my grand nieces or nephews to cruise with me, learn to sail and learn the systems, when I'm gone they would find themselves with a boat and cruising kitty.
__________________

__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:23   #48
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
Spending that kind of money I would look into the Eric Lerouge designs.
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:28   #49
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Just wondering ... can a CW 42 or a Sundeer 60 be handled solo? I would think a cat 40' or less might make more sense.
Both were designed to be short handed. This is the Chris White design and between the forward and inside helm positions, nothing could be sweeter for all weather solo sailing, don't you think?


__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:38   #50
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Spending that kind of money I would look into the Eric Lerouge designs.
Your right about the Lerouge boats. Talk about an easily driven hull at almost 41' LOA and a light displacement of 10,100 lbs!!! Didn't even know of them. Anytime the standard diesels on a cat of this length are only 18 hp per, you know you have efficiency. Thank you for the tip, now have some reading to do on these boats, but before I run off, what price am I looking at on the used market?
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:43   #51
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer

Your right about the Lerouge boats. Talk about an easily driven hull at almost 41' LOA and a light displacement of 10,100 lbs!!! Didn't even know of them. Anytime the standard diesels on a cat of this length are only 18 hp per, you know you have efficiency. Thank you for the tip, now have some reading to do on these boats, but before I run off, what price am I looking at on the used market?
I've seen the Azuli go for as little as $100,000 and the Freydis for as little as $225,000.
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:46   #52
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I've seen the Azuli go for as little as $100,000 and the Freydis for as little as $225,000.
Thanks, I'm off to his site to learn a bit more. Lerouge is a fanatic about keeping weight amidship, even placed the diesels there with long shafts. The way he introduced his design philosophy of not catering to charter or middle of the market caught my attention. I don't know how many times I have said that our production boats would be so much better if designers were free to exercise what they learned in school instead of catering to a conservative market place to keep food on their tables. If anyone else knows of non-production boats that have a least enough numbers to both prove out designs and create a used market, lay it on me. Thanks in advance.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:42   #53
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Both were designed to be short handed. This is the Chris White design and between the forward and inside helm positions, nothing could be sweeter for all weather solo sailing, don't you think?


If all you have to do is steer sure, but what about sailing trimming, reefing, anchoring, etc. I would be interesting to hear from someone who has single-handed one of them. I think someone earlier mention these are performance boats and a CW flipped recently with a full professional crew and reefed. Not questioning your skills cause I have no idea what they are, but I feel certain you need to be pretty good to handle one solo.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:58   #54
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Re: Which would you vote for and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Your right about it being a wide range. I sure wouldn't mind getting into PDQ36 for $125K, but like you, if spending 2~3X, the Atlantic sure rings my bell.
None of the ones listed. I think you may have missed the sweetspot of preowned cruising catamarans.

That PDQ will be closer to $180K. For sail aways a mere $125K could buy you a FP Tobago 35 or for $175K an FP Athena would serve as a cruising home perfectly fine. A Prout 38 for $225K ups the ante a bit but again a world cruiser. The DIYer would buy the Catalac 12M at $125K and put $30K into her.

There never has been a better time to buy a cruising catamaran.
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:02   #55
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat

None of the ones listed. I think you may have missed the sweetspot of preowned cruising catamarans.

That PDQ will be closer to $180K. For sail aways a mere $125K could buy you a FP Tobago 35 or for $175K an FP Athena would serve as a cruising home perfectly fine. A Prout 38 for $225K ups the ante a bit but again a world cruiser. The DIYer would buy the Catalac 12M at $125K and put $30K into her.

There never has been a better time to buy a cruising catamaran.
Plenty of PDQ 36's out there in the $125k range
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:08   #56
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Plenty of PDQ 36's out there in the $125k range
Where would anyone find one of those boats? The least expensive on Yachtworld is $150K and I was thinking sail away condition
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:10   #57
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
If all you have to do is steer sure, but what about sailing trimming, reefing, anchoring, etc. I would be interesting to hear from someone who has single-handed one of them. I think someone earlier mention these are performance boats and a CW flipped recently with a full professional crew and reefed. Not questioning your skills cause I have no idea what they are, but I feel certain you need to be pretty good to handle one solo.
My skills are dated. Solo'ed a Cal40 1500 nm 20 years ago. Recent time, but of short duration and not solo in a F28 tri. Sail handling on the A-frame mast of the SMG 50 would be easy with all sails furling. Safety of line and sail handling on the forward, deep recessed cockpit on the Atlantic would good. I'm aware of the CW capsize, those things happen and tend to happen more with performance cats. My Cal40 and any other mono has that nice safety feature of heeling in that unexpected gusts, thus dumping some lift and de-powering.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:16   #58
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat

Where would anyone find one of those boats? The least expensive on Yachtworld is $150K and I was thinking sail away condition
There were a couple in Sailboatlistings.com for $115-$125 a few months ago. Sandy Daughtery had his on the market for $127k and other friends of ours had theirs on the market for $125k.'there were also quite a few on Yachtworld a few months ago and a couple of those were in the lower price range. These were some of the older models with the outboards which were more popular than the diesel models. Were they in sail away condition? The couple I looked at were but not sure about all of them. What is sail away condition anyway? Im sure that has different definitions for different people.
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:24   #59
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Which Would You Vote For and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Where would anyone find one of those boats? The least expensive on Yachtworld is $150K and I was thinking sail away condition
Rick,

I've always enjoyed your great web site, keep up the good work. As to the PDQ 36, I've seen them on Yachtworld (or Boats.com) run from $119K to $222K asking price, and that is the rub, asking price. I know the little PDQs are quite popular, as I belong to their forum and talk about a group that is having a love affair with a branded boat! I go by NADA and major bank's finance values, and for a 2000 PDQ 36 (non LRC) decked out for cruising is $86K ~ $98K. I know the owners are proud of these boats but if there not willing to let go of them at a real market price, they won't be selling me their boat.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:30   #60
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer

Rick,

I've always enjoyed your great web site, keep up the good work. As to the PDQ 36, I've seen them on Yachtworld (or Boats.com) run from $119K to $222K asking price, and that is the rub, asking price. I know the little PDQs are quite popular, as I belong to their forum and talk about a group that is having a love affair with a branded boat! I go by NADA and major bank's finance values, and for a 2000 PDQ 36 (non LRC) decked out for cruising is $86K ~ $98K. I know the owners are proud of these boats but if there not willing to let go of them at a real market price, they won't be selling me their boat.
I know this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum but when it comes to catamarans you can throw the nada book out the window. It's absolutely
useless. The only way you would find a 2000 model PDQ 36 for that price would be sunk on the bottom. I'm of the opinion that if you get one of the earlier models in the low $100k range your getting a good deal on a great boat.
__________________

__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.