Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 09:15   #1

Boat: None yet
Which way to go?

Hi, can use some help from more experience sailors in making a decision.

I live in the los-angeles ,California area. Very light winds most of the time and no depth issues.

I am interested in mostly coastal cruising with weekend stay on board with local islands travel with my wife and two little girls as well as some friends.

I am looking for space ,comfort ,light wind performance with some speed and load caring ability and most importantly it will be sailed single handed by me .

I looked at the

FP lavezzi 2007-2008.

Privilege 395 2004-2005

Lagoon 410s2 2005-2006.

All around 350,000-400,000.

Any advise as which way to turn will be greatly appreciated.

Boaz
Breezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 09:39   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Hi Boaz - you might start some real arguments on this one.

This will come down to personal preferences, pride of ownership, and past experiences - good or bad.

I'm predicting there will not be two responders who agree.

IMHO, of those three boats you specified, assuming each one is in comparable shape, here's my ranking:

1. Privilege 395 2004-2005
2. Privilege 395 2004-2005
3. Privilege 395 2004-2005

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 10:06   #3

Thank you dave.

Can please you expand as to why...space ? light wind performance ?

Quality ? etc..

Thank you again,

Boaz
Old 17-01-2008, 10:21   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Having sailed in that area myself, I'd suggest a motorsailor of some sort. Most of the year the seas are fairly calm and that goes for the wind as well. A storm will be the only thing that'll bring in anything to do true sailing.
Old 17-01-2008, 10:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Having sailed in that area myself, I'd suggest a motorsailor of some sort. Most of the year the seas are fairly calm and that goes for the wind as well. A storm will be the only thing that'll bring in anything to do true sailing.
Any idea`s?
Old 17-01-2008, 10:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezman View Post
Thank you dave.

Can please you expand as to why...space ? light wind performance ?

Quality ? etc..

Thank you again,

Boaz
Hi again, Boaz. My personal preference was based on all the things I would consider in buying one of those boats - not the least of which is long term value. IMHO the Priv wins hands down. Compare the after market prices. You can't fool Mother Market.

The FP40 is probably the better light wind performer. The L410 is probably faster as well. Both the L410 and FP40 may have more interior room - it would be close. But all things considered I'd pick the Priv unless it was over priced vs the market.

Have you been aboard all three of these? Which ones have you sailed?

Here's a good thing for you to do: Get on Yachtworld and generate a list of used boats from these three builders covering lengths of, say, 38 to 44 feet. Go shorter and longer if you need do. It's not important to compare just these three models. You're first comparing the builders. Compare the asking prices. This should tell you quite a bit.

This presumes the market is valuing the total package - not just light wind performance or interior room etc.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 17-01-2008, 10:35   #7

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
My experience with the LA area is light air in :AM, picking up around noon with 15-20kts by 2:PM. If Santa Ana's are up, everything changes. I think it's blowing about 30 out there right now. Wind predictions in the Channel Islands area is very difficult. Slight temperature variences on-shore can make a big difference off-shore. Point Conception is very deceptive in it's behavior. I learned a long time ago to expect the un-expected in the Channel Island area. Having said that, I think that a cat would work well here. I'll be anxious to see how you decide. I wish I knew more about cats so that I could give you an informed opinion.

Have you looked into where you would keep the boat? I'm assuming that you may be thinking Marina Del Rey or Ventura. Might be a good idea to check that out.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 10:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
My experience with the LA area is light air in :AM, picking up around noon with 15-20kts by 2:PM. If Santa Ana's are up, everything changes. I think it's blowing about 30 out there right now. Wind predictions in the Channel Islands area is very difficult. Slight temperature variences on-shore can make a big difference off-shore. Point Conception is very deceptive in it's behavior. I learned a long time ago to expect the un-expected in the Channel Island area.

Have you looked into where you would keep the boat? I'm assuming that you may be thinking Marina Del Rey or Ventura. Might be a good idea to check that out.
Yes, but most of the year it will be calm.

I will most likely keep it in MDR.

When I get it you can join
Old 17-01-2008, 10:57   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I think your biggest problem is finding a Cat on the West Coast. I had to fly down to FL just so I could look at a few. The ones that are on the WC, the people want to hold on to them. Or they sell so quickly.

If you plan on staying in the LA area a light weight cat would be acceptable but you would want to take lessons no matter what you get.

As for which one, Dave does have a good suggestion but anything you find is going to come out of the Atlantic!
Old 17-01-2008, 11:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I think your biggest problem is finding a Cat on the West Coast. I had to fly down to FL just so I could look at a few. The ones that are on the WC, the people want to hold on to them. Or they sell so quickly.

If you plan on staying in the LA area a light weight cat would be acceptable but you would want to take lessons no matter what you get.

As for which one, Dave does have a good suggestion but anything you find is going to come out of the Atlantic!

yes, i just came from annapolis( I have family there).I know i will have to get it here.

I am taking lessons right now ASA114 on a 46FP bahia.

Any idea`s on cat`s?
Old 17-01-2008, 11:38   #11

Any opinion`s please

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale
Old 17-01-2008, 11:52   #12

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Following on in 2Hulls mode..

Privilege 395 because

1. Quality
2. Quality
3. Quality

My only reservation on this is that I suspect the 395 you are looking at is a Solomon electric drive version. There has only to my knowledge been one of these built and you have to ask... Why?

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 11:56   #13

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Yes, but most of the year it will be calm.

I will most likely keep it in MDR.

When I get it you can join
I'll take you up on that..
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 12:17   #14

Quote:
Boaz - I don't think you can go wrong with an L410 or L380. Generally less $$ than Priv, but more than FP. This Lagoon model was just a couple spots down on my final list. This one is pricey because it's not very old. Even though it doesn't say so, you can tell it's a owner's version - I recommend you look first for owner's versions of any boat. Less likely to have been chartered and overall better value.

Have you finished your homework assignment?

Dave
Old 17-01-2008, 12:24   #15

Have you finished your homework assignment?

Dave[/QUOTE]

I am going crazy trying to make the right choice for me.

I attempted to get info from the dealer but they treated me as if i am waisting there time , he was like a car salesman, trying to push me to buy now,now, now but without any help or advice.

I thought that this would be diferent.