Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-01-2008, 13:36   #16

Boat: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
I'll take you up on that..

It will be my plessure .

I am planning to finalize by this summer.

Hopefully I will make my mind up and find the cat to go with it.

Old 17-01-2008, 13:54   #17

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezman View Post
I am going crazy trying to make the right choice for me.
You may have many right choices.

I suggest you sail some of these boats before going much farther. Get smart enough to let the yacht brokers know that you know what you're talking about.

I strongly recommend you do a charter of the boat(s) you think you want. You may change your mind. Even if you don't change your mind and confirm you like your choice, you'll know a LOT more to go shopping.

Dave

Old 17-01-2008, 13:57   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Breezman,

There's a reason the broker is acting rabid, it's way over priced. Not to throw too much more into the argument, but consider the fact that any new boat you purchase will depreciate by 20% the minute it gets an owner. I've been in the Catamaran market for about 15 years now and this year will probably be the softest prices for anything used. Reasons are several fold, but basically boats follow the housing market and if you look at the annualized rate of depreciation for a lot of areas we're talking about a 10% decrease in house prices in many places this year alone which has destroyed the traditional home equity loans that most used to buy boats. Our marina two years ago bragged about having a 50 person deep waiting list, this month 1/5 of their slips are empty. You can bargain very hard for this boat or simply wait, it's not going to be sold for a very long time at that price.

Were I to choose amoung those boats, Privilege would be the slowest but best built, the Lagoon would be the best at anchor or on dock boat with the most head room and has the greatest space throughout the settee. It also has a very nice (now) galley setup (prior to the S2 it was far too small), FP will be one of the faster boats but not anything like a shuttleworth tek 35. Honestly, just because of the nice layout of the lagoon and the fact that their name recognition is higher than any other catamaran, I'd choose the lagoon. Everyone is right on what they've said about the privilege though and were you ever going to do a transpacific or atlantic I would buy the privilege.
Old 17-01-2008, 14:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
You may have many right choices.

I suggest you sail some of these boats before going much farther. Get smart enough to let the yacht brokers know that you know what you're talking about.

I strongly recommend you do a charter of the boat(s) you think you want. You may change your mind. Even if you don't change your mind and confirm you like your choice, you'll know a LOT more to go shopping.

Dave
Thank you again.

Talking to you guys is part of my homework and learning, ther are things

that someone with experience can shed light on, thing`s I wouldnt even

know to look at and thru that help me narrow my choices so I ca do exactly as you said.

Thank you all again, and please give me more opinions.
Old 17-01-2008, 14:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
Breezman,

There's a reason the broker is acting rabid, it's way over priced. Not to throw too much more into the argument, but consider the fact that any new boat you purchase will depreciate by 20% the minute it gets an owner. I've been in the Catamaran market for about 15 years now and this year will probably be the softest prices for anything used. Reasons are several fold, but basically boats follow the housing market and if you look at the annualized rate of depreciation for a lot of areas we're talking about a 10% decrease in house prices in many places this year alone which has destroyed the traditional home equity loans that most used to buy boats. Our marina two years ago bragged about having a 50 person deep waiting list, this month 1/5 of their slips are empty. You can bargain very hard for this boat or simply wait, it's not going to be sold for a very long time at that price.

Were I to choose amoung those boats, Privilege would be the slowest but best built, the Lagoon would be the best at anchor or on dock boat with the most head room and has the greatest space throughout the settee. It also has a very nice (now) galley setup (prior to the S2 it was far too small), FP will be one of the faster boats but not anything like a shuttleworth tek 35. Honestly, just because of the nice layout of the lagoon and the fact that their name recognition is higher than any other catamaran, I'd choose the lagoon. Everyone is right on what they've said about the privilege though and were you ever going to do a transpacific or atlantic I would buy the privilege.
Thank you very much,

Do you think the lagoon will do O.K in light wind ?

What about maintenance , are they well build?

Is having the engine in vs the fp which is out realy a big deal as some say?

B
Old 17-01-2008, 14:12   #21

Also does anyone have an opinion on that lagoon equipment .

Would you add anything considering my need?
Old 17-01-2008, 15:24   #22

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
Talk to Mike Leneman, at Multimarine. Tel 310 821 6762. He is one of the best known multhullers on the west coast.
Rich
Old 17-01-2008, 17:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezman View Post
Also does anyone have an opinion on that lagoon equipment .

Would you add anything considering my need?
Well, you need to call them - whoever wrote the ad didn't try very hard to provide a comprehensive equipment list, eg.:

"Galley
Spacious galley with many cabinets for storage and a freshwater foot pump."

And:

"Sails & Rigging
Equipped with a lazy bag and blue cover."

For speed and light wind sailing, you probably want a spinaker/screecher, and you definitely want a dinghy and outboard. Also, ask about the factory warranty - this boat is at most only two years old.
Old 17-01-2008, 17:52   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
I will not offer you any choices but Here are some links that will educate you on multiple Cats.

Cruisincats.com: The webs premier cruising catamaran site. Dedicated to cruisin' catamarans and those who sail them. 50+ cruising topics & 1000's of links, largest used cat listings etc.

Performance Charactoristics of Catamaran Hull Types

Cruising in Catamarans by Charles Kanter, AMS

Catamaran, used or new, power or sail, and trimaran multihulls, for sale or charter by broker dealer - 2Hulls

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: