Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-12-2009, 21:01   #16

Boat: Careel 22
G'day Jmolan

Thanks for the information on your Tri Jmolan, I believe you have a Jim Brown Searunner...am I right?
I have also been looking at a 40' Jim Brown Searunner, it can seen here, it looks to be another nice well cared for Tri but at present, is outside my price.
I believe it was Roger in Cape Town who first explained some things about Tri's, cruisers, racers and best makes, anyway, as the asking price for that 40' Jim Brown Searunner was and still is, out of my price bracket, I searched some more and found the Mashford which I like...a lot.
Back to Jim Brown Searunners, do all Jim Brown Searunner like yours, have a big centre board? If so, are they easy to lift and lower?

If I could get to deal and talk directly with the vessels owners, instead of a broker, I would be much happier. My experiences with brokers have not what could be termed great...or even good. As far as my dealings with brokers goes, their only aim was to sell the item and get their fat commission, after the deal was done, they didn't want to know you...Unless they could make more money out of you but...I may have found all the duff brokers.

Anyway, if I'm lucky, the vessels I like "may" still be available when I'm ready to make my move.

Thanks again,

Bill AU

Old 07-12-2009, 11:10   #17

Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
G'day Roger,

Sorry for getting your name wrong in the earlier post, thought you were Dave .
If you've had enough of Cape Town, why not head-up to Durban, the crabings good in the yacht inner harbor of Durban and they have a great yacht club right on the harbor , after a rest in Durban, you could head on up to Walvis Bay, nothing much there when I was there but it may have changed over the years. (Notice how you would be getting closer to the West Coast of Aus ) From Walvis Bay you could head out for Perth here in Australia, then from Perth, head north, up and around the Top-end of Aus to Darwin, then onward East. past Cape York and down into the Whitsundays...There's great sailing all along the Whitsundays, with lots of un-inhabited Islands to explore.

At the time you left Walvis Bay, Jmolan could head west out of the Sea of Cortez for Tahiti, then Island hop right across the Paciffic to Australia and meet up with you in the Whitsundays...Now, is that a good idea or what? That way you have summer all year round and...wintering in the Whitsundays ain't bad either

Somehing for you two to think about

Bill AU
Bill,

I know from an earlier post of yours that you have been to South Africa, I believe it was some time ago? Well it must have been a LONG, LONG time ago because ......... Walvis Bay is on the West coast, far up in Namibia!!!
Are you referring to Maputo in Mozambique on the East coast which in your days was know as Lourenco Marques (spelling?)

But a meeting in the Whitsundays is a possibility in a few years time though, am planning a round the world sailing trip leaving the UK hopefully next July.

Old 07-12-2009, 16:04   #18

Perhaps they moved it :)

G'day Roger,

It has been around 35 years since I was up and down the coast of Africa, boy! Don't time fly! I would have bet money that Walvis Bay was up north of Durban on the way to Mozambique.

The only two places I was in Mozambique was Lorenzo Marques and Beira. The Portuguese were in charge of Mozambique back then and I had a great time in Beira with a couple of South Africans I met-up with, good memories

Perhaps it was Richards Bay that was north of Durban? As I have said, I would have bet it was Walvis Bay...and lost. The thing I do remember was the harbour was full of sand bars, the beach was fenced-off, out of bounds and patrolled by armed guards, I think it had something to do with diamonds, the officer IC was a South African who let me fire a few shots at a target from his revolver...That was after we had been to the local bar...which looked like a private house, again run by South Africans.

Anyway, you would not need to head further north from Durban, you could just head straight for Perth from Durban but as you plan on heading for the UK before heading for Australia...It will be a few years...at least, before you get here And if you plan on visiting ports in the Med' while on your way to the Canary Islands on your way to the UK, there are a lot of great ports and sailing all around the Med'.

Last time I was in Greece, I spent four years based in Pasalemani and Glyfada, not sure if I got the spelling right, Pasalemani is the yacht harbour just over the hill in the next bay from Port Pireas, the main commercial harbour for Athens and it's only a short journy by train to the centre of Athens from Port Pireas. Glyfada is a little further along the coast.
While I was in Greece one of my favourite Island harbours was between the mouth of the Corinth Canal, and Italy, I think the port was called Argostoli or Kefalonia, it was a long time back but I do recall it was a bloody big harbour but very quiet and peaceful, there was no commercial traffic and only two other yachts, both German and both left the afternoon I arrived. I stayed there for a week and a bloke in the local tavern told me the whole British fleet sheltered there during WW11. I believe him, the harbour is that big.

Anyway Roger, if you do get to Pasalemani in Greece, call in to the Landfall club, it overlooks the harbour, and give my regards to Takis, he owned the club in partnership with a Welch lady named Phyllis, Phyllis is probably no longer with us as she was quite a bit older than I back then but who knows, she may still be hanging-in there.
You could also call-in to the Plum Pudding, it also overlooks the harbour, and meet the owner, Captain Dave Carter, he was the skipper of the MV THESEUS and I was the engineer for a time...All good memories mate.

I had better sign-off and go do some thing that need doing so good winds and calm waters on your voyages.

Bill AU
Old 07-12-2009, 16:11   #19

Boat: Transworld 40' aft cabin
Yikes! I see you are Whidbey Island.
We just bought a 40' cruiser and have it at Shilshole Marina in the Ballard area of Seattle.
I didn't count on it getting this cold! On my way over, after work, to turn on some heaters. Since I am new to boating anything you suggest I really should do in this little cold snap! Yes I am that inexperienced!
Old 07-12-2009, 18:46   #20

If you do go to Greece Roger, you may meet-up with Ram...If he's still there when you get there
Where in Greece are you based Ram, will you winter there?

Bill AU
Old 07-12-2009, 19:18   #21

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
Thanks for the information on your Tri Jmolan, I believe you have a Jim Brown Searunner...am I right?
I have also been looking at a 40' Jim Brown Searunner, it can seen here, it looks to be another nice well cared for Tri but at present, is outside my price.
I believe it was Roger in Cape Town who first explained some things about Tri's, cruisers, racers and best makes, anyway, as the asking price for that 40' Jim Brown Searunner was and still is, out of my price bracket, I searched some more and found the Mashford which I like...a lot.
Back to Jim Brown Searunners, do all Jim Brown Searunner like yours, have a big centre board? If so, are they easy to lift and lower?

If I could get to deal and talk directly with the vessels owners, instead of a broker, I would be much happier. My experiences with brokers have not what could be termed great...or even good. As far as my dealings with brokers goes, their only aim was to sell the item and get their fat commission, after the deal was done, they didn't want to know you...Unless they could make more money out of you but...I may have found all the duff brokers.

Anyway, if I'm lucky, the vessels I like "may" still be available when I'm ready to make my move.

Thanks again,

Bill AU
BillAU, if you ever get a chance, try to find Jim Brown's book "the case for the cruising Trimaran" It has been out of print for a while, but a decent search on the web they usually show up to buy. It still stands as one of the best reads on Trimaran cruising boats you can find.
All of the Searunners have centerboards. The boats I have owned and been on were easy to operate. They are bouyant and float up if released. You have to winch them down and lash the hold down in place with a weaker "fuse" in case you hit something sudden. They are great boats and amazing they were designed so long ago.
Old 07-12-2009, 21:36   #22

Thanks Jmolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
BillAU, if you ever get a chance, try to find Jim Brown's book "the case for the cruising Trimaran" It has been out of print for a while, but a decent search on the web they usually show up to buy. It still stands as one of the best reads on Trimaran cruising boats you can find.
All of the Searunners have centerboards. The boats I have owned and been on were easy to operate. They are bouyant and float up if released. You have to winch them down and lash the hold down in place with a weaker "fuse" in case you hit something sudden. They are great boats and amazing they were designed so long ago.
Had a quick search for the book "The Case For The Cruising Trimaran" only to see I missed a copy, it sold three weeks back on eBay.com.au for...$12.50! I'll keep looking around the book shops and hope a copy turns-up.

Cheers,

Bill AU
Old 09-12-2009, 11:44   #23

Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Quote:
Would love to see Cape Town Myself....The Photo is of San Carlos Sonora Mexico. It is not on many maps. Just above Guaymas. Is a center for cruisers in the Sea of Cortez. We went to San Carlos to look at a boat and liked the place somuch we bought a house.....then the boat....:-)
Thanks for that info, Jmolan. Increased my resolve to sail there!

Here's my return picture of Cape Town:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Mountain Lightning.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	11626  
Old 09-12-2009, 11:51   #24

Boat: Searunner 31
Why don't you look into the Searunner 37's that are listed on that website? If one is in good shape & set up well I think it'd be a great option. Good accommodations & geat sailing characteristics.
Old 10-12-2009, 15:29   #25

Boat: schionning cosmos 930
re tri

Bill,
The Chris Mashford tri is a good buy at that price . You will have a far better chance of getting your money back with that boat because it has been professionaly built by it,s shipwright owner and also because of the foam /glass construction , Chris lived aboard with his girl for a long time . I would definately get your own surveyor (Wayne Hill or Shawn Arber in the Brisbane area) to check it out though as it could save you a lot of money in the long run .
ps The Mooloolaba yacht club had a pic on the wall of White Bird going like the clappers in a stiff breeze it was a sight to behold.
Goodluck with whatever you buy.
Al
Old 12-12-2009, 03:09   #26

Thanks Mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Why don't you look into the Searunner 37's that are listed on that website? If one is in good shape & set up well I think it'd be a great option. Good accommodations & geat sailing characteristics.
G'day Randy,

Thanks for the pointers mate.
I have not ruled-out any vessle but I would like something I would be comfortable living aboard...Full time! I too like the Searunners...Specially that 40' in Bundy
I have a daughter, granddaughter and son-in-law, all are into diving, so although I seldom see them now, you can bet they would want to come stay with me for a month or so...If I owned a vessel they could stay aboard and dive from
So although I'm seeking a yacht strictly for "my own use", I do need to take into consideration my adult kids and a 40' would be about the right size...I think but... I have only got to look over a couple of local (Victorian) boats, all of which were well under 40' and not one of them would I ever consider as a full-time live-aboard vessle...Not even for myself on my own.
I also want the most bang for my buck but I'm not rushing into anything. This will be my last major decission and one that I'll have to live with for the rest of my life so...I "need" to get it right...First time. But...Like I have said...I have not ruled-out a smaller than 40' but...Not much, Seaunner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialdan View Post
Bill,
The Chris Mashford tri is a good buy at that price . You will have a far better chance of getting your money back with that boat because it has been professionaly built by it,s shipwright owner and also because of the foam /glass construction , Chris lived aboard with his girl for a long time . I would definately get your own surveyor (Wayne Hill or Shawn Arber in the Brisbane area) to check it out though as it could save you a lot of money in the long run .
ps The Mooloolaba yacht club had a pic on the wall of White Bird going like the clappers in a stiff breeze it was a sight to behold.
Goodluck with whatever you buy.
Al
G'day Al,

Like I said in an earlier post, I keep being drawn back to the Mashford, White Bird, don't ask me why cause I don't know But I "do" like that Tri!
I do apprecate the info' you provide and I'm tryng to get away before Cristmas to have a secret sticky-beak "before"contacting or bothering anyone.
As you seem to know White Bird quite well, how do you think she would be in blue waters, or is she built more for costal crusing?
I do plan on staying between the Hawksbury, the Whitsundays and the top-end but there's always the chance I could be tempted to go-off on a longer voyage, to who knows where

As far as me getting my money back, I can't see myself ever selling the vessle I end-up with. I would most likely leave it to my daughter in my will. Like have stated above...This will be my last major decission and one that I'll have to live with for the rest of my life so...I "need" to get it right...First time.

Thanks again for the info' Al, much apprecated mate

Bill AU

I forgot to ask Al, is White Bird berthed in Scarborough or Mooloolaba?
Cheers mate
Old 12-12-2009, 18:22   #27

Boat: schionning cosmos 930
Bill
I believe it,s at Scarborough , it,s quite a while since I have seen it . To ask if I think it,s bluewater capable is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string , too many variables . I do know it was well built .
Cheers
Al
Old 14-12-2009, 17:44   #28

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
BillAU

I am thinkking you must have run across this one down there Bill, but just incase you have not seen it.

Chamberlin Cirro Stratus 33 Sailing Trimaran: Sailing Trimaran for Sale - West System - Western Red Cedar Stringers And Oregon Frames Sail Boats - Queensland (Qld) - Manly (brisbane) Qld

I do not know anything about the design. I like the building materials and the look on the finish from the rather poor photo's.

Also, have you ever seen this one around? Not that it is what you are looking for, but I admire a lot of things about this boat, plus the fact my boat has the same designer

http://www.multihulls.net.au/index.php?page=ed&de=48350
Old 14-12-2009, 20:09   #29

Thanks mates :)

Quote:
BillAU

I am thinkking you must have run across this one down there Bill, but just incase you have not seen it.

Chamberlin Cirro Stratus 33 Sailing Trimaran: Sailing Trimaran for Sale - West System - Western Red Cedar Stringers And Oregon Frames Sail Boats - Queensland (Qld) - Manly (brisbane) Qld

I do not know anything about the design. I like the building materials and the look on the finish from the rather poor photo's.

Also, have you ever seen this one around? Not that it is what you are looking for, but I admire a lot of things about this boat, plus the fact my boat has the same designer

Marples Constant Camber 46 Trimaran: Sailing Trimaran for Sale - Mexican Red Cedar / Marine Ply / Epoxy / Fibreglass Sail Boats - Queensland (Qld) - Manly (brisbane) Qld
G'day mates,

Jmolan, earlier on I looked at both the Tri's you found, the Marples Constant Camber 46 Trimaran is a beaut but at AU $249,500, is well outside my price bracket.
The Chamberlin Cirro Stratus 33 Sailing Trimaran is well within my price bracket but...All other 33' Tri's I have looked at seemed to be pretty crowded/cramped with just the owner and I onboard, not one of them had a decent head, they all had Porta-Poties...None had a shower. I don't think I would be brave or silly enough to take a bath in the seas where I plan on spending most of my time, North Queensland and along the Top-End, to many salties, (Salt water Crocs) not to mention the sharks

I still like that old 40' Piver and the price is okay but some of the post here say she's too old and I could be buying 40' of trouble. I have found other old Tri's, a Nichols built in 1976 but their asking price is three time more than the asking price for the Piver.
I'm finding this yacht quest to be pretty confusing and prices seem to be all over the place. I do understand it's a "Buyer Beware" situation and sellers are out to get the best price they can for their yachts.
I know what it feels like to sell an item and drop a packet on the deal...I can tell you right now...it's not a good feeling!
I have no wish to screw anyone who may be over a barrel needing money but... I don't want to go off in a rush and buy someone else's headace!

As for buying through a broker, all brokers I've found have a...
DISCLAIMER
All content for Boats For Sale is published as provided by the vendor and all effort is being made for the accurate and true presentation of each boat. We accept no responsibility for errors, omissions or misrepresentations and eventual consequenses or damages of any kind thereof.
End Quote:

So the broker may charge 10% or perhaps more, of the selling price for having the owner fill-out a form, take a few pictures, then publish the boat details on their website. If the buyer ends-up buying trouble...Tough luck! It has nothing to do with the broker.
I know we all have to make a living but I would rather deal directly with the seller and perhaps save thousands of dollars that would otherwise go on brokers fees.
Anyway, I'll not be rushing in to buy anything just yet but thanks for the pointers, they are much apprecatted.

Bill AU.

PS. Perhaps I'll create and publish my own world wide boat/yacht sales site, charge sellers, say a $50 fee till the vessle sells, that way, buyers could deal directly with owners, what do you think, would it work?
Old 17-12-2009, 01:04   #30

Tris & Cats & Bankas

Hello,
Have a look at some of the completed projects built by Mike Allen - at the Boatshop in the Philippines - apart from his own designs he has built those of Jim Brown, Jurt Hughes, Dick Newick, John Marples, Norman Cross, Peter Hanson and others.
I don't believe you would get a better boat for what it costs Mike to build.
Some of his Trimarans would be ideal for the type of cruising you have in mind.
Mike is also very approachable.
A Portfolio of completed projects

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: