Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2015, 15:07   #31

Re: Which Stack Pack for a L450?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
Hi Jonathan,

I presume you mean not getting the factory inverter and not actually 'no' inverter as I feel an inverter is fairly much essential equipment. Certainly get all the factory installed wiring and switches installed for the a/c outlets. The outlets can be customised to the country you choose.

We have a 2000w inverter. Two problems we strike;

1. Sailing along, enjoying the breeze on the flybridge, and the chart plotter dims and the autopilot threatened to drop out. Oh yes someone is using a high power elect device - jug say - without starting the generator, and so drawing maybe 150A through the inverter.
2. With the 11KVA gen running we are using the microwave, Nespresso and sandwich maker. The AC1 switch on the panel trips. i.e. can only use 2 elect socket devices at the same time even with gen running

Do get the clothes washer, don't get the dishwasher.

Cheers
Dave
Life sounds tough on a L450. I have a 300 w inverter to charge my laptop. Make coffee on the gas stove. Wash clothes in a bucket and dishes in the sink. I believe in the KISS pricipal. Keep It Simple Stupid. Nothing much to go wrong.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 19:00   #32

Thanks for the comments re the stack pack and inverter. We've capitulated and gone for the standard options as everything here seems to fit in the "too hard" corner from the dealers. Not a great start. Anyway we are going into it with the knowledge at least that we'll probably have to replace the lazy bag after a couple of years. The inverter, after a bit of research, was a no brainer despite our dealer saying it really wasn't necessary. Glad we didn't listen to them!

Dave - did you spec NZ specific sockets at the ordering stage? This is another thing that our dealer is saying "cannot" too.

They start laying her up next month, can't wait!!
Miss Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 19:12   #33

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi Miss Daisy,

Yes we ordered them at the spec stage. No they were not fitted. So we changed the european sockets to NZ/Aust after Magique arrived in NZ. Cheers, Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5790.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	106499  
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 21:01   #34
TOT

Great shot Dave

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 01-08-2015, 21:37   #35

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

On my first L450 the Incidence stack pack started to fall aprt after 3 months. The dealer said that is normal wear.

Made my own for the next L450. Outside sunbrella, inside old genoa I found on a dock in the garbage on Mallorca. Did it with the flaps over top similar to Incidence, and my own throw lines. Small fishing weight with holes in them. Thread a line (3-4mm) through them. They work like a charm, even in wind, due to the small drag on the thinner lines.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 21:54   #36

Post Re: Which Stack Pack for a L450?

Ah, ok thanks Dave. Think we'll have to do the same then as have been told the yard will not xchg the standard euro sockets for HK style. Thanks for the inverter advice, we've opted for the factory fitted one. On reflection there would be no way we would want to do without! Great shot of Magique! Look forward to getting you out for a sail in the new year.
Old 01-08-2015, 21:58   #37

Roetter - 3 months?! That's not great. We'll see how ours goes. Will likely get a full deck Sunbrella cover that suspends over the boom for whilst she is on the mooring to protect from UV and rain streaks. Although will have to see how practical that is given boom height. UK sails have offered up a neat lazy bag solution and will also be very interested to hear how Emerald Sea goes with their Doyle option, but like the sound of your DIY job!
Old 01-08-2015, 22:16   #38

Cool Jonathan I'll look forward to it.

I can't seem to stop spending money on my L450. I think it is an addiction :-) So latest is changing the Raymarine VHF49 to a Garmin VHF200i and that was so I could put a second mic on the flybridge. That is so I can listen to VHF up there and when lonely use the intercom to order a coffee or glass of wine :-) I am also adding a hailer/fog horn so I can yell at people or blast them with the horn!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5837.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	106503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5835.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	106504  

Old 02-08-2015, 10:08   #39
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes definitely add the raymic to any new order. Cost is fair.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:59   #40

Thanks Dave and Monte, yet another item where the dealer said, "no, you definitely don't need that". I've been wondering what the best way to summon up a cold one would be and this is it! Will quickly add it in.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:59   #41
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Which Stack Pack for a L450?

It sounds like your dealer isn't on the same page. Factory extras we added for the last 2 lagoons were
Cruising/comfort pack
Larger engines
Folding props
AIS
Radar
Cockpit fridge
Cockpit cushions
Bimini
Raymic
Fabric colour upgrade to brown
Plotter at helm
Lazybag
Teak floor
Square top main

After market added
2 batteries
Solar
WM
1600W inverter

Would probably do the same again, maybe add a genset for a L450
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 00:05   #42
TOT

Which Stack Pack for a L450?

Monte don't forget -

- Good size generator

- Additional fridge / freezer

- Electric winch for davits

- Desalinator

- Dishwasher

- Washing machine

And the list goes on and on ....

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 04-08-2015, 22:45   #43

A quick question folks re having the VHF installed on the flybridge. With a full functional VHF inside the saloon, why wouldn't you simply go for a handheld unit that you can walk around the boat with if necessary rather than another fixed base unit on the bridge?

The new options list includes the B&G VHF V50 in the saloon and there is portable handheld unit you can buy for US$170 to complement that has AIS display and all the bells and whistles etc. Wonder whether this might be a more flexible setup than fixed base.
Old 05-08-2015, 00:31   #44

Hi Jonathan,

I tried that. The problems are:

1. Handheld VHF is 5w and aerial at deck height vs saloon VHF 25w and aerial at mast height so better transmission and reception.
2. Handheld slides around and gets in the way.
3. Batteries go flat quickly.
4. Can plug in to electric socket to charge however line gets in the way.
5. Charge line and handheld corrode and fail.

All my gear is Raymarine. However after a bit of a study I thought that the Garmin VHF200i had better features. I can actually fit a wireless handset GHS20i to my Garmin VHF200i and have all the functions. However I was sure that the battery would be flat just when I needed it and so went with the wired GHS10i. (Storm Force in Queens Rd East have all these)

Take care with whatever model you decide on that it can have a second mic. The Ray50 can't, needs to be the Ray60, which is wider. Also most new VHF radios force the owner to connect a GPS signal (very easy to do). That is to get a position for DSC. If you don't connect a GPS position the radio gives you an audible warning every so often and that function to do that cannot be cancelled!

Cheers, Dave

PS get an MMSI number (not sure how in HK, but will be the maritime authorities) you will need that for AIS and also good to put into your VHF for DSC)
Old 05-08-2015, 02:14   #45

Dave from NZ. It is a great photo. Is it Elephant Cove / Happy Jack, It's a while since I was there.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote