Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 10:31   #31

Boat: Outremer 5X
Re: Which hydraulic steering should I choose?

While you may have already made your choice I add to the discussion "KOBELT",Canadian, high quality manufacturer of marine and other industrial hydraulic and other systems. My own boat, Outremer 55L, 1997,was originally built with Vetus steering equipment described by others in this Thread. In my experience the Vetus cylinders developed leaks and sometimes it was difficult to get replacements as Vetus supplies in the US over the past years has been difficult at best. It has been much better recently.
That said, I replaced the entire system with Kobelt variable steering pump, sailboat lock valve, and cylinders, Also replaced all valves and all "old" copper lines with high pressure "plastic" hydraulic lines and fittings. No hiccups in 6 years.
The Sailboat Lock Valve is an interesting piece of equipment. Take a look at their website.
Stuart, Ma Bete
ma bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 12:47   #32

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

I would think twice before I bought hydrive from Australia.
I installed a 7000$ Hydrive system and they wouldn't give me the specification for a commercially available oil. Wanted me to pay the 900$ to airfreight their name brand stuff " specially formulated" in Australia.

I got into it with them as they told me the warranty was void if I didn't use their oil

Wait till you are in the middle of the carribean and need to change out the oil.

Apart from that it works pretty well.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 13:57   #33

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma bete View Post
While you may have already made your choice I add to the discussion "KOBELT",Canadian, high quality manufacturer of marine and other industrial hydraulic and other systems. My own boat, Outremer 55L, 1997,was originally built with Vetus steering equipment described by others in this Thread. In my experience the Vetus cylinders developed leaks and sometimes it was difficult to get replacements as Vetus supplies in the US over the past years has been difficult at best. It has been much better recently.
That said, I replaced the entire system with Kobelt variable steering pump, sailboat lock valve, and cylinders, Also replaced all valves and all "old" copper lines with high pressure "plastic" hydraulic lines and fittings. No hiccups in 6 years.
The Sailboat Lock Valve is an interesting piece of equipment. Take a look at their website.
Stuart, Ma Bete
Ma Bete, I have a 2003 45 ,and recentley had the L&S cylinders RE built . My copper lines do not leak and seem fine ,no corrostion etc. why did you change yours to plastic ? Not thread drift OP wanted opinions , I may pm you regarding other issues
David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 15:58   #34

Boat: Outremer 5X

Dear David,
Copper lines were fine, just my way. I tend to replace rather than repair. When I had leaking hydraulic cylinders I replaced the entire system. I did not mean to imply in any way that the original install was an issue. Due to the fact that I single hand a lot it is more a case of "better safe than sorry". I do not believe in patching unless its emergency repair.
You are welcome to contact me anytime for my 2 Cents. I'm not often on forums so P.M. will get you my email which I think you may have already.
Best regards for the coming holidays and New Year!
Stuart
ma bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 22:01   #35

Lecomble & Schmitt replacement cylinders

Hi All. I have a 2015 Lagoon 40 MY with a dual cylinder Lecomble & Schmitt system. After 1,000 hours and two months out of warranty, one cylinder has failed. I am currently in Croatia and can't locate replacement L&S cylinders. Several suppliers are recommending that i go ahead and use Sea Star cylinders.

Does anyone have any experience or advice about this? Is it ok to go with different cylinders? Is Sea Star ok or better than L&S?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks!

Richard
REWIRED
Lagoon 40 MY #10
Blisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 00:42   #36

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

If the sea star has the exact capacity of the L&S then ok but I doubt it. L&S is the better product and should be easy enough to find. Typically you just need a rebuild kit, not a cylinder unless the boat was sitting unused for long time and the shaft got pitted.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic steering, steering