Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2008, 06:12   #16

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I think this model often had problems with leaking windows.

New engines and drives: 25000€
New sails and standing rigging: 25000€
Inside rework and instruments: 10 K

What should a boat like this cost in good condition? My guess is around 230-250K€

Good luck

regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 08:36   #17

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I would wait, a lot is happening right now financially. I think that a lot of charter organizations have over built and are going to come under some serious stress. When they do, the first thing that will happen is these companies will down size by selling off a lot of their inventory. Couple that with banks becoming much more strict on lending practices, with home values decreasing which is the common store of wealth for many and you could see a flood of ex charters coming onto the market quickly and being sold for an extremely reduced price. For the waters you're looking at, I'd look at a smaller boat, less work, less money, less risk. Look carefully then at the corners of the boats for impact damage, gelcoat work is hard to match perfectly. Look at the mast at the attachment of the boom vang and gooseneck, boats sailed hard can have slight cracks along the fixtures, check compression and rpms on the engine. One thing that's nice about ex charters is with the supply you can get a engine mechanic, a rigger to go over three same production year, same model boats quickly and tell you which one you should buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreast View Post
Hi all great site . Lots of very good information .
Next year we are planning to take a year maybe more off from work.
We need a cat 2 people good sea keeping, we plan to sail the med if we buy it in europe or the Carabian if we buy in America . We are based in the channel Islands.
I have sailed the lagoon 380. Fontaine Pajot 38. Broadblue38
there is a FP 38 avaiable locally but its a ex charter 4 cabin version (no soul) down below. ? 1) Recomentaions on where in the world to buy, taking into account our currencie is the pound.
And more impotantly what to buy we can afford about £80,000 at the moment possibly double that next year.? should we wait another year and get a better boat for more money. Resale value is quite important too. But also the layout of it as we have to live on it. Willing to travel to view boats.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 11:51   #18

Smaller Boat ?

Our intension is a one year out first of all to try it out . but looking further ahead the plan is to take early retirement and sail the world with my wife. So across the pond and visit the other side where its hot and sunny. Then maybe on to Aus and New Zealand. Do you still think a Catana 411 is still to big for all of this or as you suggest should we be looking at 38 or 39 feet. Not much difference really. The Catana i believe is a very good sea boat and a lot has been written about there capabillitys. Please feel free to suggest other boats as at the moment we are still researching.
redbreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 12:22   #19

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Ohhhh! .... a privilege 39 would be the smallest boat I'd personally choose for a transpacific. In fact, in terms of cats it might be a fine choice. The catana 411 also might be a very good choice, definitely not too big. The problem with a transpacific is getting something with enough tankage to allow you to go 28 days or so if the water maker breaks. Admiral 38 or 40 might be another model to look at.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 19:12   #20

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
I would wait, a lot is happening right now financially. I think that a lot of charter organizations have over built and are going to come under some serious stress. When they do, the first thing that will happen is these companies will down size by selling off a lot of their inventory. Couple that with banks becoming much more strict on lending practices, with home values decreasing which is the common store of wealth for many and you could see a flood of ex charters coming onto the market quickly and being sold for an extremely reduced price.
I agree. If you're not in a rush you'll almost certainly find better deals a year from now. And it would be worth getting on a plane to look in larger markets like Florida or the BVI's.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 19:59   #21
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
British Virgin Islands is where the biggest charter fleets exist. You won't find many ex-charter cats at £80k though .
Right. That's why I suggested a Catalac. He can get a great boat within his price range.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote