Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 21:55   #1

Which Cat Would you Choose?

These are the top 4 cat on my list. I am looking for a cat that sails well, but will be able to take my family of 4 cruising. Plan to have windsurf, kite, sand up paddle boards, and 11-13ft aluminum rib 15-25hp. 2-5 yr cruise. Location is not too important, but N America would be easier. What load can these cats take? I think the Schioning can take 3 tons? I will try to keep it light, but a family has stuff. My wife and I both come from racing back ground and are used to cruising in race boat interiors.

What would you choose and why? What do you like and not?

Mumby 48
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2010...ri/New-Zealand

I like the aluminium for the tough low maintenance. The interior looks good. I am not a galley down fan, but this one is nice.

Oram 52
Used 2003 ORAM 52 Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au

I don't like the windows and more would need to be added in the salon. I am of two minds with the outboard. I would need to have fuel injected outboards at a minimum. I like the ability to pull of the boards, motors and rudders. Also this one looks fast.

Wilderness 14.8
2009 Schionning Wilderness 1480 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Well known. Better resale because of name

Crowther 150
Catamaran 1991 Lock Crowther 150 Catamaran For Sale

Kiwi built all epoxy Kevlar inner skin. Good performance. Don't love the cabin roof line. Small cockpit, cheaper in N America. Older.
canadian cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Which cat would you choose??

They are all good boats - by the look of them, good designs. The ORAM is my first choice, just. Then the Mumby, then the crowther. I would have to know more about the builder of the Wilderness, no saying it isnt good I just dont know yet.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

3 tons is a lot even on a 50' performance cat. Probably need something like a St Francis 50 or larger to truly have that payload to DESIGNED wl

Keep in mind, the specs are very optimistic on most cats when talking about base weight and cruising load. If you're spending this much money, I would perhaps pay for a designer to consult with you on your specific choices.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:47   #4

I didn't make it clear I don't need 3 tons, but I thought that was the pay load allowance for the Schioning. I just checked the Schioning website and the payload is 2000kg.

I like the St Francis, but no dagger boards takes it off the list.

Is it me or does the Crowther look a lot smaller for about the same length?
Old 11-04-2014, 12:41   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The Crowthers usually have a short bridgedeck with long bows and sterns. Takes away from the living space but keeps the ends light which is good for motion and performance.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:43   #6

Factor what makes you like the Oram the most? I too like the Oram the most because of the large cockpit and walk through to the transoms. The performance of the Oram is also applealing. It should have good motion and turn of speed. It just needs a bit more finishing on the inside.
Old 11-04-2014, 14:26   #7

Why would you require fuel injected outboards? I got seawater in a fuel tank once, (too much for the filter to stop) easy to fix on a carburetted motor, could be a real problem with injection.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 14:39   #8

My last boat had a Honda 15hp and the idle jet was so small that it would always clog and require cleaning for engine to idle. Maybe a different brand is better. I would rather have better performance from a fuel injected engine and deal with water if and when it shows up. A FI outboard as I see it is a middle ground between carb and diesel.
Old 11-04-2014, 15:01   #9

Did you have a proper fuel filter? I have Honda 20's, (essentially the same motor as the 15) and this hasn't happened to me, with motors having around 1000 hours on them now. Even though one of them did get seawater into it. Funnily enough, it would still idle, but didn't want to rev.

You're pretty much limited to larger motors to get fuel injection.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 17:03   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Frankly I don't like the Oram because of the outboards. It does have advantages, but in a boat this size I want a bigger prop and bigger alternators. The finishing you suggest for it, will also add weight, which is an anathema to this design. It is fast, fun, and a lot like camping no matter how big. For a long distance cruiser I would want more comforts.

I would second speaking to a catamaran designer and toss him a couple of bucks to help you narrow down your selections. These four boats run the gamut from stripped lightweight performance cruisers, to much heavier heavy cruiser designs. I think some more thought on what you are hoping to accomplish is in order.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 17:57   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Suzuki starts their fuel injection engines at the 9.9hp model on up.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 18:07   #12

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Re: Which Cat Would you Choose?

I would choose a cat that doesn't get seasick, doesn't shed, and most importantly, fits in a crock pot if needed .

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 18:26   #13

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: Which Cat Would you Choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
most importantly, fits in a crock pot if needed
YIKES!!

I would have imagined this comment on the cruising on under $500 per month thread.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 18:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Did you have a proper fuel filter? I have Honda 20's, (essentially the same motor as the 15) and this hasn't happened to me, with motors having around 1000 hours on them now. Even though one of them did get seawater into it. Funnily enough, it would still idle, but didn't want to rev.

44 I had a racor for a filter. A lot of fuel stabilizer helped, but still not great. I think the jet for the Canadian motor was too small as I saw two other 15hp have the same idle issue. You should have seen the face on one guy on the dock as his brand new 15 for his RIB would not idle with out 10 mins of fast idle.
Old 11-04-2014, 18:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Frankly I don't like the Oram because of the outboards. It does have advantages, but in a boat this size I want a bigger prop and bigger alternators. The finishing you suggest for it, will also add weight, which is an anathema to this design. It is fast, fun, and a lot like camping no matter how big. For a long distance cruiser I would want more comforts.

I would second speaking to a catamaran designer and toss him a couple of bucks to help you narrow down your selections. These four boats run the gamut from stripped lightweight performance cruisers, to much heavier heavy cruiser designs. I think some more thought on what you are hoping to accomplish is in order.
Stumble I would disagree with the statement that the original four listed differ much in design brief. The Mumby I have not seen a spec sheet, but it looks to be one of the faster aluminium cats. It might not be in the Oram arena, but still a performance cruiser. The other three are all cruiser/ racer. Does any one have specs for the Mumby or Oram?

Wood can be used as accents to add a nice touch. Also veneers. Look at Gun boats all white with wood accents. They even have solid wood floors.