Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2011, 23:41   #16

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Which Cat to Buy ?

You can sleep over a running engine in the stern cabins of my boat. Excellent heat and sound insulation. Usually sleep better there when at sea as the steady sound of the engine helps mask random boat and sea noise. As usual, Privilege do it the right way so you can access he engines from inside AND from the outside.

Back to the original question... Personally I'd take the Manta. Very well thought out boat with just about everything you need to go cruising included by the original manufacturer.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 23:56   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
You can sleep over a running engine in the stern cabins of my boat. Excellent heat and sound insulation. Usually sleep better there when at sea as the steady sound of the engine helps mask random boat and sea noise. As usual, Privilege do it the right way so you can access he engines from inside AND from the outside.

Back to the original question... Personally I'd take the Manta. Very well thought out boat with just about everything you need to go cruising included by the original manufacturer.
Not to be a smart ass, but surely you aren't running the engine most of the night so you can sleep without hearing the sea noise. That would kind of defeat the purpose of having a sailboat.
Old 16-06-2011, 10:56   #18

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Not to be a smart ass, but surely you aren't running the engine most of the night so you can sleep without hearing the sea noise. That would kind of defeat the purpose of having a sailboat.
No, diesel is way too expensive for that. My wife and I have just completed a round the world trip in 15 months and sadly experienced a lot of really light winds. So the motors were running a lot of nights and I discovered I slept better with the steady background noise.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 04:22   #19

Boat: Maverick 400 - 12m - Cosmoledo

The Maverick 400 has engine access from the transom and it works well. I agree that accessing from the cabin invites extra noise, heat and smells. Seal that chap off. I have a Maverick and access is a breeze. To check oil and coolant (you do this before every start right) you open the hatch and reach in while standing outside. Also every part of the engine, heat-exchanger, filters, exhaust and air-heater is reachable from the top - nice..
Cosmoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 11:34   #20

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
In was speaking to an owner of an Admiral 40 which has the engine under the bunk. He does not like it as each time you check your fluids before start up you mess up the bed and get engine smells into the cabin. He came and looked at my Maverick engine bay and loved it. Easy access, place to store the outboard in the lockable engine bay and lots of space. I am 6th 1 and can climb int the engine bay if needed. Another advantage is if you need to get the engine out the boat you do not have to mess up the insides.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13   #21

Boat: Antares 44 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmoledo
The Maverick 400 has engine access from the transom and it works well. I agree that accessing from the cabin invites extra noise, heat and smells. Seal that chap off. I have a Maverick and access is a breeze. To check oil and coolant (you do this before every start right) you open the hatch and reach in while standing outside. Also every part of the engine, heat-exchanger, filters, exhaust and air-heater is reachable from the top - nice..
I am seriously considering a new maverick for cruising CA, Baja, and Sea of Cortez for next 4 years and then when I retire hopefully some blue water adventures to hawaii and the pacific. Just 2 of us and 2 small dogs.

what do you think of the boat? It is wider than most for same length, right? Were you happy with the build quality? Any thoughts or information appreciated. Also considering krysna 44, leopard 44...seawind 1250...

Did you, would you get the 2 foot ext to transom?
RickyEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 14:26   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmoledo View Post

Point me to a Maveric for the price of a Manta or Lagoon 380 please.
Old 01-10-2011, 14:31   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyEM View Post
I am seriously considering a new maverick for cruising CA, Baja, and Sea of Cortez for next 4 years and then when I retire hopefully some blue water adventures to hawaii and the pacific. Just 2 of us and 2 small dogs.

what do you think of the boat? It is wider than most for same length, right? Were you happy with the build quality? Any thoughts or information appreciated. Also considering krysna 44, leopard 44...seawind 1250...

Did you, would you get the 2 foot ext to transom?

When I started research years ago I settled on a Manta as the the boat as like has been said they basically have everything on board - inverters, isolators even. Pretty sweet. Some of the latest Mantas have problems as the company faltered financially. No way to afford one though.

Now my fave is a Antares 44I for some of the same reasons. No way to afford it right now. It costs a lot to move up from boat to boat.

Maverick is the new choice after seeing what they are about. Now if I could only see one in the flesh.

But as far as the OP question. Tough choice.
Old 01-10-2011, 15:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy

When I started research years ago I settled on a Manta as the the boat as like has been said they basically have everything on board - inverters, isolators even. Pretty sweet. Some of the latest Mantas have problems as the company faltered financially. No way to afford one though.

Now my fave is a Antares 44I for some of the same reasons. No way to afford it right now. It costs a lot to move up from boat to boat.

Maverick is the new choice after seeing what they are about. Now if I could only see one in the flesh.

But as far as the OP question. Tough choice.
I like the Antares too but more pricey than Maverick. Also the interior of the antares seems dated to me.

Didn't know about mantas, I will look into them.

I am told by the maker of the maverick that there should be a maverick at the Miami boat show this Feb. If so I will check it out.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyEM View Post

I am told by the maker of the maverick that there should be a maverick at the Miami boat show this Feb. If so I will check it out.
ALL RIGHT!!!!!!

Let me know.

I can be there!!!!

One thing about the Antares too is that the engines are central and have shafts and props are protected well. Sail drives seem cheap to put in and expensive to maintain.
Old 03-10-2011, 14:50   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi RickyEM,
Have you considered the Fountaine Pajot Orana 44, a vey modern setup and easily managed by a couple.

Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 15:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Hi RickyEM,
Have you considered the Fountaine Pajot Orana 44, a vey modern setup and easily managed by a couple.

Gordon.
Definitely on my list.

Maybe I should say what our plans are. Want to buy within a year and would like delivery fall of 2012. Goal is for my partner and I and two dogs to coastal cruise for the first 3-4 years: CA, Baja, Sea of Cortez. Live in Tucson, AZ. Will have to keep the boat in a slip in CA or San Carlos during that time. Then when I retire sail to the Pacific and live aboard 24/7. We are currently inexperienced with some 6 week-long bareboat charters on catamarans as captain and ASA courses through 114. Currently trying to charter every other month. Dont know if we should buy new or used. Just starting to get serious about buying and would welcome advice from those who have "been there and done that"!
Old 04-10-2011, 16:37   #28

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Dont know if we should buy new or used
There's no guarantee that a new boat will not have issues. I think it's a good idea to buy something that's already been tried and tested by a previous owner, who also added all the gadgets you'd want.
But with bigger boats such as you're thinking about, I don't know if you could get better deals new (with the economy like it is), so it's not totally out of the question that a dealer might make you an offer that's hard to refuse. Just stick with a quality manufacturer, used or new.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote