Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2017, 23:34   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Which Cat to Buy?

I am coming to the business end of a 5 year plan to leave the rat race behind and move out onto the open seas.
I currently sail a Monohull (UFO 34) but I am definitely looking for a Cat (not new) for myself and family : 1 x Wife 2 x Children (3 & 7).
Currently residing in the middle of nowhere (Perth Western Australia) it is very hard to get on, see/sail a variety of cats down here, so I thought I'd ask you fine people who actually own them, sail them and live on them for some inside information and recommendations.
I will be looking in the 43 to 48 Foot range and for something that is comfortable at anchor, but equally competent for quick(ish) Ocean Sailing.
I have been on (not sailed) an Orana 44 (quite liked) Leopard 50 (felt cheaply made) Maverick 44 (too small cabin/cockpit space) and a Seawind 1260 (too small).
I've seen a lot online, but without actually seeing them in person its pretty hard to judge. Are there Cats I should be totally discounting and on the flip side ones I should be paying more attention too?
Sadly cost is an issue, hence I will be looking at boats in the 10 Year old plus bracket.
All Input would be appreciated
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 00:00   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Which Cat to Buy?

from sounds of it, you might have to get back to mainland at some point so I would add another criteria - ie resale value. even if not, if you decide to upgrade...

Meaning go for proven design without major issues that will detract future buyers. see what actually sells now on secondhand market and narrow your search. check 5,10 20, 30 years old boats of same manufacturer. And of course this manufacturer should be in business now , so this narrows criteria to few well known brands.

Sporty cats are sporty when not loaded. Even filling full water and fuel tanks will slow them down considerably. Still remember how catana 43 could not beat benetau 38 in beam reach race, because tanks were full. Family of 4 needs a lot of stuff so you need to ensure not to overload, else will be slowest cat around. And then not to be hated policeman or not allow yourself to buy really fine 100 L of vine for sundowners.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 00:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I may be biased () but take a look at a Belize.

https://www.multihullsolutions.com.a...-terre-oceane/
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 00:25   #4

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

absolutely best boat of the time ! that was no 1 on my list. however my wife did not like it because no side windows at the time.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 00:29   #5
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

I've seen the Belize online and it looks a possibility, I am just unsure about the size in regards to cabin and cockpit space - As you own one would you say that it is has plenty of space for a family of 4?

Your boat looks like something I could be interested in, but I am looking to Buy either in Europe or the Caribbean as we want to start our adventure on that side of the world.
Old 27-10-2017, 02:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Your boat looks like something I could be interested in, but I am looking to Buy either in Europe or the Caribbean as we want to start our adventure on that side of the world.
There are plenty available, here are six in Europe as well as others elsewhere:-

Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 for sale - YachtWorld UK

Also, there is one on that list in NSW so you can go and have a look in person.

Alternatively, you might want to think about the Bahia 46 which is the same age as the Belize but very slightly bigger although there's no real difference in prices:-

Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 for sale - YachtWorld UK

Again, various examples in Europe and one in Australia so that you can go and view it.

I don't know what your budget is, but the model that replaced the Belize 43 was the Helia 44 but they start at about A$600,000:-

Fountaine Pajot Helia 44 for sale - YachtWorld UK

A couple of bloggers (they also have Youtube channels as well) who have Helia 44s have done reviews of them. This is one, after doing 20,000nm on the boat:-

Out Chasing Stars 20,000nm Helia Review - An Update - Out Chasing Stars

And this is the other blogger about how they fitted out their new boat:-

Outfitting a Boat to Sail Around the World: What We Bought, What We Learned & What We'd Do Differently - Turf to Surf

Also, if you haven't already then I would say that it's worth subscribing to their Youtube channels as well.
TonyBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 04:17   #7

Boat: Leopard 39

Research them all thoroughly. Study the specs, then buy the one your wife likes.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 04:33   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Research them all thoroughly. Study the specs, then buy the one your wife likes.
Good advice! 😆

Like houses, wives are responsible for a lot of cat sales.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 04:43   #9
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
from sounds of it, you might have to get back to mainland at some point so I would add another criteria - ie resale value. even if not, if you decide to upgrade...

Meaning go for proven design without major issues that will detract future buyers. see what actually sells now on secondhand market and narrow your search. check 5,10 20, 30 years old boats of same manufacturer. And of course this manufacturer should be in business now , so this narrows criteria to few well known brands.

Sporty cats are sporty when not loaded. Even filling full water and fuel tanks will slow them down considerably. Still remember how catana 43 could not beat benetau 38 in beam reach race, because tanks were full. Family of 4 needs a lot of stuff so you need to ensure not to overload, else will be slowest cat around. And then not to be hated policeman or not allow yourself to buy really fine 100 L of vine for sundowners.
Yes Valid point on Weight - Wife and Kids will have a certain amount of baggage!!! - I'd love a sleek and Fast Cat, but some compromise is involved to accommodate all involved
Old 27-10-2017, 08:29   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Frankly given your requirements I would highly recommend you look at the Lagoon 440. Take a look at Impi's vlog: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg

There are a lot of 10 year +/- 440's available on the market and given your family size I think this would be a great fit.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 08:44   #11

Boat: Boatless

Best advice I ever got, “buy the most waterline you can afford.”
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 11:01   #12

Boat: 2013 Lagoon 400S

I know I am bias, but I have owned my 2013 Lagoon 400S and it is great to cruise on, sails well in heavy seas, and has not really given me any trouble..
bpiccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 11:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Interesting. The best advice that I heard was to buy the smallest boat that will do what you need it to do. I followed it and it worked out well for me. FYI 99% of registered boats are 40ft or shorter according to USCG data. I am not part of the 1 percent :-)
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 12:43   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Probably said by a yacht broker.

Beyond buying the boat there is outfitting and maintenance - they will be a considerable outlay.

Don't forget that you will be sailing the boat. With modern hardware and methods you can sail a bigger boat UNTIL the sh*t hits the fan. When something breaks you will have to deal with it.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 13:06   #15

Re: Which Cat to Buy? I am a to rigging in Fiji

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
Frankly given your requirements I would highly recommend you look at the Lagoon 440. Take a look at Impi's vlog: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg

There are a lot of 10 year +/- 440's available on the market and given your family size I think this would be a great fit.

Gary
I see many cats come through here and being a rigger I would say stay away from,lagoons they're built for hiding behind carrabean islands not out in bumpy oceans.they bend too much and we find we are working on mostly them.theBahia doesn't have enough stays, only two cap shroulds and a headstay.so when something goes pop, there is usually a crash after as the mast comes down. I have to say a Catana is one of the best if you can afford one, fast and high tunnel for less slamming. I didn't ever own a cat, sailed many but work on heaps.Bruce
Rigger Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote