Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17   #61

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Since I said, 'unless it has buoyancy tanks...." I don't think I have been shown to be mistaken. I'm glad it has buoyancy, as that makes the boat viable as a budget voyaging boat.
Why does this make a difference?

Most boats cruising out there monohulls. They don't float upside down or when gouged open.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:50   #62
cruiser

Why floatation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Why does this make a difference?

Most boats cruising out there monohulls. They don't float upside down or when gouged open.
IMHO it is important because multihulls can turn over. The equivalent from an offshore safety standpoint in a monohull is a decent ballast to displacement ratio, and a boat that is narrow/ deep enough to be self righting. A good cruising monohull will have a pretty stout hull that is hard to open up, because weight isn't all that detrimental to one. In monohulls, weight is a big drawback, and every effort is made to make the hulls as light as possible, and so their hulls are usually easier to pierce with a point load.

Sandy asked if I have started building my boat. Yes, and I have a blog at:

http://www.dunnanddunnrealtors.com/B...Catamaran.html

Calling me a realtor is a bit misleading, if your attempt is to summarize my knowledge of boats, yacht design, and voyaging. I made my first passage as skipper in 1971, to Hawaii from LA and Hawaii to Seattle, and have an extensive resume of voyaging, boat building, and study of yacht design. I sailed across the Pacific in the 70s. You could also call me a business man, artist, and metal worker: See Metal Art Sculpture, Steel Sculpture by Tim Dunn. You also could call me a counselor, since I practiced as a psychotherapist for 15 years. I am one of those people who deliberately color outside the lines-
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:56   #63

Victory 35

Take a look at the Victory 35. I bought one last year. Its a strong well built boat. I had looked at Wildcat, Gemini, PDQ, Manta and Prout. I too wanted to stay at the $120k range. Dollar for dollar, pound for pound this was the best boat I had seen to date. Even though they built them for almost 10 years they had a very limited production run so it's rare to see one on the market.
thanks..
Ted
xray ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 14:19   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Nice shop Tim. Bummer about the porousity of the table. In hindsight, what would you use instead, masonite over C/D ply with a 3 mil poly underlayment? Or something more techy? Its good to have your own property, and not have to fight with the neighbors for electricity or worry about sanding dust.
No question here about starting before you closed the ends of the hut. Are you far enough out of the Seattle area to escape the rainy season? When do you have to close up, turn on the lights, and make heat?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 14:20   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Since I said, 'unless it has buoyancy tanks...." I don't think I have been shown to be mistaken. I'm glad it has buoyancy, as that makes the boat viable as a budget voyaging boat.
See now, here is an adult who can change opinion when the facts dictate.

If the info he has been told is correct ... he concedes the argument.

** On a side note, I am also glad that the Gemini is still in my sights. I don't think I can go any higher.
Downhereinmexic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 14:26   #66

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Did you look at the Victory 35?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 14:32   #67
cruiser

Boatbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Nice shop Tim. Bummer about the porousity of the table. In hindsight, what would you use instead, masonite over C/D ply with a 3 mil poly underlayment? Or something more techy? Its good to have your own property, and not have to fight with the neighbors for electricity or worry about sanding dust.
No question here about starting before you closed the ends of the hut. Are you far enough out of the Seattle area to escape the rainy season? When do you have to close up, turn on the lights, and make heat?
My closest neighbors have livestock, so I don't think I am much of a nuisance. Cattle graze 20 feet from my shed, and on the other side, a couple of hundred feet away, I let my neighbor graze horses.

Maybe MDF with a coat of resin. I wouldn't use poly, as I don't think it is strong enough, nor resistant enough to vacuum. 13 odd pounds of vacuum per sq. ft. is quite a bit to resist. If that doesn't work well, then glass it.

I am only 35 miles from Seattle, and it rains a lot from September through June, though not heavily. The weather is maritime, with not much temperature variation compared to inland. It rarely snows, and snow never lasts long. Sealing the ends of the shed with tarps and insulating with metalized bubble wrap is no big deal. It's too warm right now for that.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 14:53   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Did you look at the Victory 35?
Me?

I asked, but no reply.
Downhereinmexic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:04   #69

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Hey Bender,

There is a 1970 CSK 50' for 99k advertised in Lattitude 38. Might be worth a look.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote