Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 06:09   #1

Thumbs up Where to go for Catamaran friendly marine + not Pricey ?

Wher to go for Catamaran friendly marine price ? Mediterranean or other place around....

I'm looking for a base to keep the cat summer and Winter...

I have only find it very expensive Im not looking for hige tech marina, I will say more nice natur then luksus marina, but of course still a safe storm place...

we are open minded for places...

or what did you pay around ? year, month, winter, summer....
Sea hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Wher to go for Catamaran friendly marine + not Pricey ?

Speaking about the Med, if the money is the first and the only concern, noone can beat Greece, not all but some marinas in Sicily may come second.. When you start questioning about safety, technical capability/availability, etc. you will have to pay min.15-25 % more on top of these basic prices.
Min. yearly fee that you would pay in Turkey (hauling/launching not included) for a cat of around 40-42 ft will be anywhere between 4 to 18.000 euros.
If you live aboard, there are very well protected bays in the South of Turkey, you can anchor for free and just spend a bit on diesel for warming up and charging yr batteries.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:58   #3

We are in Sant Carles de la Rapita Spain and the annual cost on our 10m Cat is just over 3000euro per year electric and water included. Currently they are not adding a surchage for Cats.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:41   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Ibiza seems best.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Ibiza seems best.

b.
and ypu pay ?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We are in Sant Carles de la Rapita Spain and the annual cost on our 10m Cat is just over 3000euro per year electric and water included. Currently they are not adding a surchage for Cats.

3000 sound fair, they are just manny who want 6000eur, and then I think ok, I can do alot of fun for 6000
Old 12-02-2016, 05:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wher to go for Catamaran friendly marine + not Pricey ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Ibiza seems best.

b.
Ahahahahaaaaaa... Good one...
Cost me £75.00 for one night in Ibiza Town.. that was in '97..
The cheapest marina I know in the Med is Almerimar.. Spain.
Last cat I took in there was 44ft long and it was 21euro inc IVA, water and elec.. that was low season and transit rates..
If your doing annual payments and can do it in advance you qualify for discounts of between 25 & 50%..
Very safe, friendly staff most with English.. large Super.. Chandleries, etc..
Gibraltar is 24hrs sail and the Ballearics 48.. nice coastline both ways.. Cartagena and Malaga in easy reach.. and an Airport 25mins by taxi..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:09   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea hunter View Post
3000 sound fair, they are just manny who want 6000eur, and then I think ok, I can do alot of fun for 6000
What size is your catamaran by the way ??

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
What size is your catamaran by the way ??

Yeloya

We have not buy one yet but I think we go for a 40-42" cat, 8-10years old....

We are from Denmark, and got about 5 month of Holiday a year, and want to spent the time down in sunny south... I Do a lot of diving and fishing/spearfishing etc. and we new to sail, but not motor sail... We are quite open to the location
Old 12-02-2016, 05:51   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I prefer to have the boat on the hard when not using it.

The cheapest spot I found is Preveza / Greece. Three yards in one spot to choose from (from relatively simple to highly professional & huge). We used Cleopatra marina (the huge and professional one): reasonable rates for travel lift, storage, and mechanics. Additional travel lift roundtrips are ~180 euro for a 40ft cat, so no problem to go in the water for an easter holiday.
I have never seen a travel lift crew as calm and professional. But they do a lift every 20-30min during seasons, they have over 1000 boats in storage.
Negatives: Can be hard to reach in winter (they seem to shut down the country).

Marina Di Ragusa / Sicily is also not bad, similar price for storage on the hard and easier to go there even in winter. But a much much smaller operation with room for only 2-3 cats in storage, not as professional, mechanics much more expensive.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I prefer to have the boat on the hard when not using it.

The cheapest spot I found is Preveza / Greece. Three yards in one spot to choose from (from relatively simple to highly professional & huge). We used Cleopatra marina (the huge and professional one): reasonable rates for travel lift, storage, and mechanics. Additional travel lift roundtrips are ~180 euro for a 40ft cat, so no problem to go in the water for an easter holiday.
I have never seen a travel lift crew as calm and professional. But they do a lift every 20-30min during seasons, they have over 1000 boats in storage.
Negatives: Can be hard to reach in winter (they seem to shut down the country).

Marina Di Ragusa / Sicily is also not bad, similar price for storage on the hard and easier to go there even in winter. But a much much smaller operation with room for only 2-3 cats in storage, not as professional, mechanics much more expensive.
god info... but how much do you sail and ground time ? and cost on ground for rest year ?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea hunter View Post
god info... but how much do you sail and ground time ? and cost on ground for rest year ?
I currently have a usage profile similar to yours. This year sailing time was 2 weeks easter holidays and 3.5 months summer.

Prices Marina di Ragusa for 11m cat (2015-2016):
240 Euro travel lift (per movement)
230 Euro per month dry storage
55 Euro / h for mechanic

Price in Preveza, Cleopatra (2014-2015)
182 Euro travel lift (per movement)
270 Euro per month dry storage for the first 8 months, then 140 Euro for the months 9-12 on yearly contract
35 Euro/ h for mechanic (theoretically plus VAT, but that was never charged... its Greece)

Cleopatra offers 50% reduction on each additional launch/lift rountrip so I paid around 180 Euro to have my boat in the water for easter holiday.

Both yards charge by the meter, so just dvidide by 11 and multiply by your own boat length.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I currently have a usage profile similar to yours. This year sailing time was 2 weeks easter holidays and 3.5 months summer.

Prices Marina di Ragusa for 11m cat (2015-2016):
240 Euro travel lift (per movement)
230 Euro per month dry storage
55 Euro / h for mechanic

Price in Preveza, Cleopatra (2014-2015)
182 Euro travel lift (per movement)
270 Euro per month dry storage for the first 8 months, then 140 Euro for the months 9-12 on yearly contract
35 Euro/ h for mechanic (theoretically plus VAT, but that was never charged... its Greece)

Cleopatra offers 50% reduction on each additional launch/lift rountrip so I paid around 180 Euro to have my boat in the water for easter holiday.

Both yards charge by the meter, so just dvidide by 11 and multiply by your own boat length.
Forgot: All prices are including VAT

Except the mechanic in greece which was 35 plus VAT but I was never charged VAT, even though I used them a few times when I did not have the right tools at hand.
Its greece...

BTW the other two yards in Preveza are a bit cheaper:
Aktio Marine quoted 250 per month for 8 month, 125 per month for month 9-12, but lift & launch was more expensive
The third I forgot the name and lost their quote, but I remember it was even less.

However I preferred to pay a small premium to get into the more professional yard of Cleopatra. Look them up in google earth, they have a well structured storage area with monos and multis well separated. That is not true for many other yards, which just have one big mess and try to squeeze more boats into the yard than there is space for.
See google maps, you can see all three yard here, the bottom one is Cleopatra.

One drawback of Preveza:
Small Earthquakes. We had a two while preparing the boat for storage, and one when doing some work early next year. Nothing major but still gives a bad gut feeling to leave the boat ...
Old 15-02-2016, 12:15   #14
Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

So is that the price for a mono? Seems high to me - if for a mono - given the port is in the middle of nowhere. :-)

How long of a commute is it if you arrive there by plane?
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 20:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri View Post
So is that the price for a mono? Seems high to me - if for a mono - given the port is in the middle of nowhere. :-)

How long of a commute is it if you arrive there by plane?
The OP was asking about cats, so I gave him information about cats.

It's about 2hrs south and there is a bus service from the airport. Middle of no where? I guess it depends what the OP is looking for.

Feel free to offer another suggestion. I'd love to hear about other options.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, marine, price