Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2011, 18:31   #16

Re: What's the best anchor for a 60 feet cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
Hello everyone;

What's the best anchor for a catamaran? The size is 60-65 feet.
Best Regards;
Mehmet CAN
Before we can answer this question may we ask where the boat will be spending most of its time and the type off bottom conditions prevalent in the area?
Sure we can base an answer on a video of a 4wd towing a selection of anchors up a sandy beach , but I'm not sure that you want to anchor on a sandy beach all the time.
Old 26-03-2011, 18:55   #17

First and foremost, thank you very much for your compliments for Turkey CarinaPDX.

For the use of the cat, it'll be a circumnavigation and planned boat is the new Gunboat 60. It already comes with a 42kg Rocna and after taking a peek at it's general specs, I don't have any doubts that the factory would skimp on the anchor. But then again, 60ft plus catamaran plus moving wing mast plus carbon body really creates horrific nightmares easily... Hence, I'm asking once again -maybe a bit lazy- for this specific situation...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 22:22   #18

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Well, for my 66' monohull displacing 40 tonne I have a 110kg Supreme on 1/2" Hi tensile all chain. I displace more than your cat but I will bet you have more windage. I have an acquaintance with a 70' cat and he reckons his 130 kg Supreme on chain and nylon is good - he had endless trouble dragging in all bottoms until he just took the plunge for a bigger anchor. Of course no one (including me) likes these specs due to expense, weight and required accessory equipment. But you did ask!
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 23:13   #19

Sounds like 300kgs in total minimum! Now, that's heavy, especially when the whole body weights as much as a feather compared to it!!!
Old 27-03-2011, 00:27   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
It already comes with a 42kg Rocna (92lb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
I have a 110kg Supreme (242lb) on 1/2" Hi tensile all chain. I displace more than your cat but I will bet you have more windage. I have an acquaintance with a 70' cat and he reckons his 130 kg Supreme (286lb) on chain and nylon is good
Quote:
Sounds like 300kgs (661lb) in total minimum!
I think you guys are getting your kg and lb's mixed up

For what its worth I have a 25kg (55lb) Delta
and a 36kg (80lb) Manson Supreme on a 50 ft cat

Sounds like the 42kg rocna would be about right
Old 27-03-2011, 02:51   #21

Boat: A few!

Depends where you are anchoring! No one anchor does everything perfectly, however if you look at all the 50+ crewed cats in the caribbean you'll see a Delta hanging off the majority of them and the CQR/Brittany that came with the boat in a store somewhere. When you anchor 2-3 time a day it's nice to have a bit first time, every time.

Out of all the anchors the new 145 catamaran Hemisphere could afford, they have had a custom Delta cast (it's about the size of a Ford Mondeo!). We discussed this in depth with the Captain, and in our minds this is the way he's going to get a good night sleep!
caribcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 03:19   #22

Quote:
Sounds like 300kgs in total minimum! Now, that's heavy, especially when the whole body weights as much as a feather compared to it!!!
I think your 300kg is an estimate of total for anchor and chain - probably pretty right. No confusion. I was a bit surprised that he needed that heavy an anchor but he reckons he had tried many other solutions unsuccessfully. It worked for him.

As noted, no one likes the numbers for required anchoring gear in a big vessel. I accept the inevitable and have the displacement to carry the gear. I understand many cats have less capacity. Mind you, the 70' cat noted above was a heavy displacement vessel and did not have much trouble accepting the gear. I don't know your cat so have to leave the compromises for you to wrestle with.
Old 27-03-2011, 03:31   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
First and foremost, thank you very much for your compliments for Turkey CarinaPDX.

For the use of the cat, it'll be a circumnavigation and planned boat is the new Gunboat 60. It already comes with a 42kg Rocna and after taking a peek at it's general specs, I don't have any doubts that the factory would skimp on the anchor. But then again, 60ft plus catamaran plus moving wing mast plus carbon body really creates horrific nightmares easily... Hence, I'm asking once again -maybe a bit lazy- for this specific situation...
Remember to rig her with a manual windlass/gypsy... never know when one of those pesky surges will take out an electric one and leave you stranded!
Old 27-03-2011, 10:11   #24

Yes, 300kg's for both anchor and chain. Even the thought of such electrical failure, especially in the tropics is a real nightmare!!!
Old 27-03-2011, 21:40   #25

"Even the thought of such electrical failure ... is a real nightmare".

What power supply and anchoring gear do you have on board?

In any well equipped boat over 50' a power failure would be a major PITA. But in this size vessel one would have some back-up I reckon. On a large vessel such as your 60' cat I would expect two windlasses with separate wiring, generator backup, manual alternatives and the like. Once we get to 60', the ability to carry this is practical and necessary. Goes with the territory hey.
Old 27-03-2011, 22:12   #26

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

The 40kg Rocna should be fine. If in doubt go the 55kg although the Gunboat does not have as much windage of many of other 60ft cats.

Most of the suitably sized Maxwell 3500's and Muirs have emergency manual handles.

Properly set up and sized (best oversized) anchors are not know for too many failures are they??
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 02:09   #27

In the end, I return to recommendations of Ian Nicholson's "Boat Data Book".
For the 60' cat of this thread I would use his advice as a base and take account of our more modern anchor designs:
"Recommended sizes of 'patent' anchors like Danforth, CQR..."
For Coastal Cruising - 2 @ 70 lbs, 1 @ 125 lbs,
For Long Range Cruising - 1 @ 80 lbs, 2 @ 120 lbs, 1 @ 220 lbs.

I have chosen to use my heaviest anchor as my working anchor and carry the spread of lesser anchors in reserve. Hopefully will not reach for them too often.
Old 28-03-2011, 02:13   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Many would consider I am over anchored with a Rocna 55Kg in a 47 foot monohull, but have never dragged in conditions when many have.
Not much experience with cats, but I was anchored next to 50 foot cat with a 80 lb Bugel that dragged and collided with 2 fishing boats that sank. You don’t want that experience particularly in a foreign country. He later upgraded to a 120lb Bugel and felt was probably only just OK.
Also met a world cruising 32 foot cat that was so sick of dragging they fitted a 55 Kg anchor.

I would upgrade to something larger for a Gunboat 60 for long distance cruising.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 02:29   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Many would consider I am over anchored with a Rocna 55Kg in a 47 foot monohull, but have never dragged in conditions when many have.
Not much experience with cats, but I was anchored next to 50 foot cat with a 80 lb Bugel that dragged and collided with 2 fishing boats that sank. You don’t want that experience particularly in a foreign country. He later upgraded to a 120lb Bugel and felt was probably only just OK.
Also met a world cruising 32 foot cat that was so sick of dragging they fitted a 55 Kg anchor.

I would upgrade to something larger for a Gunboat 60 for long distance cruising.
I agree. I am using a 55kg Rocna on my 54' mono, and although it is one size bigger than what Rocna recommend, I don't regret going to this size. I wouldn't use anything smaller on a 60' cat myself. If the Manson or Rocna proves difficult to stow in the roller, a Spade might work better since it does not have the roll bar.

On a boat that size (and cost!), and for a circumnav, I might even go one more size bigger still! I think our own Nick of Jedi uses a 186 pound anchor on his relatively light displacement 65' mono. The Gunboat is bound to have a hydraulic windlass (or can be ordered with one) which could handle it.

As to total ground tackle weight and to the OP -- you do have a bit of tension between the mission of world cruising and a lightweight ultra high performance boat like the Gunboat. The weight of the ground tackle may affect performance. But you can't have performance and versatility of ground tackle without weight, especially in the anchor. You can save some weight of chain by using G70 chain one size smaller (our Nick does this), but you will still want at least 100 meters of chain on board and the biggest main bower anchor you can fit -- plus a kedge and plus a spare bower or two -- it just can't be light, if you plan on anchoring out all over the world in all kinds of conditions.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 04:07   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Umm, I notice that the Gunboat 60 has a lightship displacement of only 12,200kg, or a little more than half what my Moody 54 displaces. That is one seriously light boat. With almost 60' at the waterline, it must be a rocketship. I can't even imagine the speed potential.

So I think I'm going to have to retract my statement about anchor size. A big cat like that is going to have windage out of proportion to its displacement, so you should still be careful, but I guess the 40kg Rocna is going to be enough for that. That boat is so light that decent world-cruising ground tackle is going to cause trim problems.

This is a fantastic-looking boat, but I'm not sure that this is the boat I would choose for a circumnav -- kind of like doing it in an Open 60. Not my idea of long distance comfort. But that is not responsive to the original question, so FWIW.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor