Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47   #1

Boat: St Francis 44' MKII
What's an Ideal Trampoline Setup ?

My catamaran has a single mesh tramp attached to the boat with sail slides inside of an aluminum track. The current slides are plastic and many of them are cracked and several have broken. It is also attached with heavy bungee cord on 3 sides (outboard and aft), the bow is attached with 1/4" double braid line. I need to replace this setup and my searching has not turned up much. I have looked at stainless or bronze slides but since they run $10+ each, it is too much to replace all of them, there are no plastic slides with stainless bails that fit my track. Plastic is cheap but the only slides that I've found to replace them are not as wide and therefore cannot accommodate the heavy bungee that is currently being used. I can reduce bungee size, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. My other thought is to buy 3 stainless slides for each side and place them on each end and then on center in case of plastic failure.

Basically, I'd like to know what people have and if anyone has the same setup as me (internal sail slides attached to the tramp) and what has or hasn't worked. If I need to replace the line, what is recommended, I have seen 3 strand and double braid. Any thoughts here?

Thanks, Bill
tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:56   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Re: What's an Ideal Trampoline Setup?

Hi, Bill --

We also have a St. F, so I'm very familiar with your set up. You can get a variety of sail slides that will work, from the cheap plastic to the Ronstan Heavy Duty (expensive, but tough). We opted to keep using the plastic ones and just put extras in along each rail, so that if one broke I wouldn't have to restring the entire tramp, just one side.

I'm skeptical of using bungee cord, as the UV and salt water will destroy them in fairly short order. We've been using 3/8 nylon twisted, as it provides very good shock absorption and is resistant to both the UV and salt. Appropriately whipped, of course. It is also easy to replace.

I just made it a practice to always replace the tramp rope with every haul out. That also makes it easy to check on each slide and replace as necessary. It's a job that only takes a couple of hours at most and it gives me peace of mind. Even if you replace each slide, you're not out that much.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34   #3

I'm also skeptical of bungee cord.... UV kills it fast. My cat had no bungee on the tramp at all. My setup was similar to yours. When I retramped, I used Black 3 strand nylon to attached the tramp all around. Nylon has a little stretch and is pretty good UV wise. The load on any one shackle is very small. 1/4 or 5/16 nylon will take more than enough strain....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51   #4

Boat: St Francis 44' MKII
Thanks both of you... I have decided to eliminate the bungee and go with 5/16 nylon three strand laced in a T pattern. I will be using two separate pieces on each side of the tramp so if one breaks the entire side will not collapse. I will also replace "all" the slides now for peace old mind; with two boys the tramp gets a fair amount of use ... Thanks again!

Cheers, Bill
tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 14:23   #5

Hello St. Francis Cat owners:

I am in the early/middle stages of makign a purchase decision. And I am curious to hear what your comments are regarding St Francis Cats. Would you recommend them for crusing and light chartering (self as Capt.). I am in 43'-48' range and 2002 or newer.

Ralph
Rhendry is offline   Reply With Quote