Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2011, 21:16   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
What Year ? Does it Matter ?

Grandpa always said never buy a first year production car, let them get the kinks worked out first. So that begs the question, what year make and model boats do you suggest to stay away from if any? What ones are "the one to have" when it comes to no kinks or gremlins? ( not the keeping up with the Joneses) if you had no limitations what would your top five list be for mono or multihull cruiser to call home year make and model?
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:39   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: What Year ? Does it Matter ?

I've sailed on 2 hull Number 1's and both boats were difficult to put it mildly! One was a Swan, the other a Warquiz (1997).

Both boats suffered from taking from the plans to the actual boat. So wiring, for example, that didn't fit would be stuffed, streached, cramped or rammed into any space and you could hear the bosses say: "Just do what you can and we'll fix it on the next boat".

So your Grandpa was prolly right!

Work out the speed of throughput and given 3 months for the first boats' problems to filter up to engineering and back down again. So for a mass production boat be wary of buying the first 10 hulls, perhpas.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 13:54   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I wouldn't want hull #1. But then even hull #20 probably will be unknown build quality unless it is now 10 years old. I think a boat 5-10 years is a good bet as the bugs have gotten worked out while still being an age that you can tell if the last owner did or didn't maintain it. Older boats may have the orginal bugs worked, but now have all the age related bugs.
Old 15-08-2011, 14:07   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

-seems that if you really truly have a passion for something, the flaws do not matter. too many folks do not find passion with their boats. these folks must request "permission" or advice about buying boats.
i found passion with mine--i LOVE her. there are NO deal breakers with this kind of boat, as far as i can see-- they are readily repaired, all areas to be or in dire need of repair at some point in their lives is readily accessible and they have awesome sweet lines.
what boat turns you into a sniveling kid with a dire NEED to have it? that is the boat to get.
is worse than a spouse--you cannot repair the spouse. you CAN repair the boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 20:27   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I've sailed on 2 hull Number 1's and both boats were difficult to put it mildly! One was a Swan, the other a Warquiz (1997).

Both boats suffered from taking from the plans to the actual boat. So wiring, for example, that didn't fit would be stuffed, streached, cramped or rammed into any space and you could hear the bosses say: "Just do what you can and we'll fix it on the next boat".

So your Grandpa was prolly right!

Work out the speed of throughput and given 3 months for the first boats' problems to filter up to engineering and back down again. So for a mass production boat be wary of buying the first 10 hulls, perhpas.
Thank you, that is what I was trying to put out there. I know some things are a matter of taste but then there are some things that are just a bad idea like the Pinto. I dont want something that will blow up with me in it
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote