Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 07:56   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives
What would you chosse: newer but smaller or older and cheaper?

Hi folks!
There are 2 cats at the moment that i am interested in, will not name brands because in any case i'm interested at your opinion "brand independent".
So, one end nineties 38' and the other end eighties 44': both apparently well maintained (didn't see by person so just assuming both are same/similar condition), the bigger slightly cheaper but 10 years older; the newer bit more expensive, "more modern".....but quite smaller.
Considering that the initial idea is to keep the boat long term, what would be best considering that size of 38' is ok, but 44' better?
Cheers.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 08:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What would you chosse: newer but smaller or older and cheaper?

I would choose the 38 depending on its bridgedeck clearance.. hence make, purely from the maintenance/expense perspective.. and ease of handling shorthanded.
44ft would be more than I reasonably need.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 08:21   #3

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: What would you chosse: newer but smaller or older and cheaper?

From my limited exposure, it seems catamaran designs have made profound improvements over their comparatively short career as pleasure watercraft. Generally speaking, I'd go as new as possible. Without knowing your specific vessels, it's possible the 38 will have more livable space and sail better than the 10 year older 44.

Another thing to look at is how long do you plan to own the boat. Would you be happy buying a boat that much older than the 44' boat?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 08:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would choose the 38 depending on its bridgedeck clearance.. hence make, purely from the maintenance/expense perspective.. and ease of handling shorthanded.
44ft would be more than I reasonably need.
Both have a good clearence, the 44 great. Mainatainance side, cosider that big part of it, or at least what i'll be able to do, will be carried by myself. Marina, not a problem for the short/medium term.
Old 25-03-2018, 08:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
From my limited exposure, it seems catamaran designs have made profound improvements over their comparatively short career as pleasure watercraft. Generally speaking, I'd go as new as possible. Without knowing your specific vessels, it's possible the 38 will have more livable space and sail better than the 10 year older 44.

Another thing to look at is how long do you plan to own the boat. Would you be happy buying a boat that much older than the 44' boat?
The 44 has a good design but you are right that it's undeniable that the newer one, even if already with a bit less than 20 years, has more modern solutions.
Your last statement is what really makes me dubtful....
Old 25-03-2018, 09:12   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I'm still in the looking stage myself, so take this for what it's worth.
I would actually get on both and make the decision from that. Pictures are great but don't give you the actual experience and depth of actually being there.
Plus you never know actual condition until you see it for yourself.
The Internet is a great tool for fine tuning your list, now that it's down to two, it's time to step aboard.
Good luck
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 11:03   #7
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Cruising style/plans: If you expect to cross oceans then the longer the better. From 38 to 44' there's a huge difference.

Cruising cat evolution: a 2005 L440 is pretty much the same style as 2018 L450. But there is a huge difference between a 1992 L47 and a 2005 L440. May not apply to the 2 cats you selected though.

Refit, upgrade & maintenance costs: almost everything will be more to a lot more expensive with the bigger cat.

Between a 2006 L500 and a 2016 L450, both say 500 kEUR, I would buy the L500. But many would choose the other way round. Only you can answer your question. Good luck !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 14:13   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I am in the same possition right now. Thinking of pre or post 2010 cats..

Generally i am thinking now: as Young as possible... I would rather sacrifice 2-3 feet for 10 years younger boat. BUT: highly depends on the individual boat you have choosen and there are for shure exceptions, based on usage and your further priorities...
Old 25-03-2018, 15:05   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
I am in the same possition right now. Thinking of pre or post 2010 cats..

Generally i am thinking now: as Young as possible... I would rather sacrifice 2-3 feet for 10 years younger boat. BUT: highly depends on the individual boat you have choosen and there are for shure exceptions, based on usage and your further priorities...
It depends...
Cat designs have evolved over time. If I look at the big players FP and Lagoon I would prefer those models introduced in the late 90s to around 2010.
That is the range when they had decent lines, good bridgedeck clearance, nice interiors (except this round settee thing) and good peformance. Weight, sailplan, hull width, draft, etc seemed to be in the sweet spot for me.
These are sailboats with decent accomodation.

Current models tend to be much heavier, have smaller and less efficient sailplan (selftacking jib & tiny main), wider hulls, lower bridgedeck clearance, etc. Perfect for charter, not so much for cruising.

For my personal use I'd prefer a smaller boat over a large one. 38-40ft is for me a sweet spot: quite capable and still reasonable cost, less cleaning & maintennce, easier handling.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 15:11   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

except on forums, cruisers rarely wish for less space/smaller boats
Old 25-03-2018, 15:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
Hi folks!
There are 2 cats at the moment that i am interested in, will not name brands because in any case i'm interested at your opinion "brand independent".
So, one end nineties 38' and the other end eighties 44': both apparently well maintained (didn't see by person so just assuming both are same/similar condition), the bigger slightly cheaper but 10 years older; the newer bit more expensive, "more modern".....but quite smaller.
Considering that the initial idea is to keep the boat long term, what would be best considering that size of 38' is ok, but 44' better?
Cheers.
haha, you are assuming that purchase price is the main expense in the boating business

If budget is of any concern: go with the smallest boat you/your folks still feel comfortable.
Old 25-03-2018, 15:34   #12

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
except on forums, cruisers rarely wish for less space/smaller boats
Its not about a wish. It is a compromise....
Old 25-03-2018, 15:36   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

All depends on the cats in question and even then it’s a personal decision. If your talking about the most popular brands of today then I would much prefer something from the eighties through the mid nineties. I personally think the newer designs from the top 3 manufacturers haven’t progressed in the last 15-20 years.
As far as size, again personal preference. We have a smallish 38’ catamaran by today’s standards and it fits us perfectly. We have owned as large as 43’ but consider it a waste for a couple, maybe a good choice for a couple with 6 kids!
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 00:17   #14
Marine Service Provider

Thank you all for chiming in.
Ok, i understand that without giving more details about models doesen't make a lot of sesne: athena vs casamance.
We are three, so i guess that a bigger cat would represent some waste of space, though should be more confortable in case of liveaboard that we think we might consider during summers.
Cost side: that would be a concern but wondering how much a 6' boat can cost me much more than a slightly smaller one considering that many things i'll try to do myself. Not servicing the engines (but that i think wouldn't be any difference because both have 2) or sails, but maybe all the rest.
Cheers
Old 26-03-2018, 00:42   #15

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Older vs Newer was a big question for us as well..... my instinct when buying a car or motorbike or anything is go newer, fewer headaches. BUT then I realized everything expensive on a sailboat needs to be replaced / overhauled every 10 years as a general rule of thumb. New sails, rigging, engine overhaul, electronics.... so then the 1998 boat we were looking at with outdated gear suddenly became much worse a deal than the 1991 we ended up buying with new/refitted everything. As long as the hull and keel and deck are in good shape, there's no reason to worry about a few extra years of life on a boat. It's the stuff inside and bolted onto it that you should check and see how much is gonna cost you in a year vs 10....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap