Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2007, 15:58   #1

Boat: C&C 27
What to build, what to build...

Without going into gory details it looks like I'm going to be bound to the shore, at least until I get a post grad finished. Furthermore I'm going to spend more time than I like at our small farm eighty miles from the coast.

After building a few boats, all under 20 feet I have decided to use my time ashore to build a multihull under 35 feet. The length is due to space limits in my workspace. I will begin reading through some of the more recent build threads in the multihull forum and going over the Wharram and Farrier designs I have collected.

My question to the group is, what designs and designers are popular with builders? Frankly I'm not married to a cat or a tri at this point but I am leaning toward a tri. My boat experience is in ply/epoxy as well as GRP food vessels.

Thanks

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 16:08   #2

Boat: Leopard40 39ft Myrtle
Go for a Farrier design - excellent plans, easy to build from
The South African is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 16:45   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Schionning Designs -

Harryproa Home Page

Trimaran and Catamaran Designs By Farrier Marine, Inc.

Workshop
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 17:43   #4

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
If you dont need 3 cabins the proa but its leeward hull is 50 feet then next choice the farrier.
Niether had the accomodation I desired so I went with the Schionning.
Great choices Knotty Buoyz.
Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 18:23   #5
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Well except for the Harryproa Mike. Just toooooooo weird! Took me half an hour reading that site to actually figure out what it was I was looking at.

Here's a link to a page of a young fella near here who started a Farrier 41 in core-cell ($$$$) and I don't think he ever finished.

Adam's F-41 Boatbuilding Project

I exchanged e-mails with him a year or so ago to see if I could go see it being built but he just sorta disappeared into cyberspace. Gives you an idea of how these things are built.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 21:00   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
..I'm going to be bound to the shore.. Furthermore I'm going to spend more time than I like at our small farm eighty miles from the coast.

pv
Yo Pura,

Why begin an ordeal? How about considering buying a used (cheap), smallish, handy trailerable monohull so you can continue to sail and enjoy your free time with the company of your choice? Eighty miles is a fine weekend trip, is it not? Possibly boat storage near the water can be arranged? Enjoy.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:12   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Building a multi is a monster undertaking. There are a couple of manufacturers out there who specialize in supplying kits. The kits chop about 1000 hours off the build time.

Rick brings up a good point. I wonder how many people begin a boat building project and never complete it? There must be a bunch of 1/2 built boats around which could be bought for a song.

If you could find something that could be finished in 1000-2000 hours or less , it might make sense to buy a 1/2 built boat. I've seen estimates that a build starting from scratch is a 3000 -4000 hour project. The odds of finishing it are long ones as life has a nasty habit of getting in the way.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:25   #8

Boat: now floating easy37
build an easy33 or 35, www.easycat.50webs.com theyre quick 2000 hrs or less if competent, cheap mine will be on the water for 65000 and they look nice, plus theres a fiarly good support forum for them
if your into more of a composite then look into bob oram as his boats are faster to build than farriers or schionnings
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat View Post
if your into more of a composite then look into bob oram as his boats are faster to build than farriers or schionnings
sean
Yes but there are some obvious reasons for that.

Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 03:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova
Why begin an ordeal?
Not ordeal, part of the adventure. But then I suppose it depends on ones outlook.
Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 03:45   #11

Boat: C&C 27
Thanks guys, I appreciate the ideas and links so far. I've always had a soft spot for the Farrier tris (I love the video of the one passing the open 60). But at this point I'm not leaving anything out. The kits sound like a good idea. As for the why, I'm a shop rat as much as a sailor in fact I sold a practically new Catalina and traded it for an old C&C simply because it had better projects, OK and it was much faster. After building the smaller boats I think I have an idea of what I'm getting into, famous last words right? By the way I'll keep the C&C through the build process and maybe beyond. Sometimes you just have to sail...

Please keep the ideas coming.

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:09   #12

Boat: now floating easy37
if you can weld ally then another option is the tim mumby 47 cat they can be apparently be put on the water for around 100000 and take just over a year of very full time work, of course this would necessitate a new shed 8-), the other thing i forgot to mention is they get pretty good resale with most fetching between 180000-240000
sean
Yes but there are some obvious reasons for that.
and what would that be whimsical??, or is it just that you wish you had built one instead8-)
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 13:12   #13

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
have a look at mike wallers designs he has some nice cats in your size range.
Main Menu - Mike Waller Yacht Design Multihull Monohull Sharpies Catamarans Sail Power I am getting ready to start his 9.4 version which is not listed on his site as it is a hand drawn design and not in computer format yet.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 14:39   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Time and money....

Your choices are limited not so much by space as by time and money.

Your 35' cat might run to 4000+ hours and $100,000+.

On a long term project it is hard to put in more than 20 hours/week so you would be looking at delivery dates 4 years in the future.

4000 hours in a part time construction job (at $25/hr)would return $100,000 plus the $100,000 materials/parts plus interest comes to close to the price of a brand new cat.

It might be more sensible, but not more interesting, to buy an investment property, fix it up and rent it.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 15:01   #15

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
4000 hours in a part time construction job (at $25/hr)would return $100,000 plus the $100,000 materials/parts plus interest comes to close to the price of a brand new cat.

minus 40% tax brings you back to $60000. even adding in $100000 for materials(my 9.4 will NOT cost that much) not going to buy much for that in the way of a new cat.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote