Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2007, 19:31   #31

A totally different alternative.

Well, IF you aren't married to the concept of a cat or tri and might consider a mono, and IF you aren't married to ply/epoxy and glass but would consider working in steel heheh

check out the origamiboats forum at yahoo.com.

Brent swain has come up with a way of building a steel mono out of plate that is quite 'different', hell for strong and incredibly fast. He and a couple of helpers can when pushed, pull a couple of 8x40 sheets of 3/16" plate steel off a flat bed into an open field and have a fully tacked together hull-deck-cabintop-cockpit-pilothouse 36' footer standing there ready for finish welding in a bit over 48 hours. Fitting out and interior joinery would take the same time as any other manner of construction.

His boats have survived washing up and over reefs, sitting for says crashing in the surf waiting to be towed off beaches, and one even survived being run down by a freighter! Came up looking more like a banana and the owner broke his arm in the crash, but I can think of no other boat that would have survived that.

They are also incredibly inexpensive to build and fully suited for going pretty much anywhere in the world, which many have done. It's an interesting read over there, be sure to go into the files section and look thru the photos of completed boats. There are even bilge keel versions which let you anchor in harbors/rivers that dry out, thus going places few others can even get to.

If you like to do things yourself, and can take the time to get handy with stick or mig welder, his ideas will get you on the water in a pleasant sailing and hell for stout boat for little money and in very little time. Properly painted with epoxies etc., this boat will last several lifetimes and brent also has a self published book listed in that group, as well as a dvd set that shows the actual building of one of his hulls. very interesting stuff. He has plans for boats between 27 feet to 40 feet.

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 22:48   #32

Boat: now floating easy37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
If you are interested in building I would commend www.themulithull.com/ - they have numerous members currently constructing cats by various designers

Brad
this is true but woe betide you if you try to post any information not linked to scotts site its very unfriendly that way and in my opinion is the reason the site isnt more popular than it is, ive a few friends whove been told off in very unfriendly terms by scott for directing others to interesting info not on scotts site
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 04:01   #33

what to build??

Pure Vida, 35' certainly is a manageable size boat to build, when considering initial material costs, build hours and ongoing mooring and maintenance costs. Many cats a lot smaller than this have circumnavigated ( annaleise and nine lives to mention just two.)

Remember the hulls only make up a small percentage of the overall project in both cost and time to build , the surface area of the underwing ,decks cabin and interior is cerainly a lot greater.

The fittings, rig ,motors etc etc will be similar to any othe 35' cat so select a pretty, well propotioned design, as a thing of beauty is a joy forever, and an ugly slab sided duckling will be just that irrespective of how much money and time you throw at paint and sign writing.

regards.
Old 28-12-2007, 08:54   #34
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Northerncat, what you say is true if it relates to a used boat for sale (as he is in the brokerage biz), or to commercial advertisements. Otherwise, no problems. Certainly there seems to be a great exchange of ideas on construction of various mulithulls by various designers plus photos and, if you want to refer to a website for a specific product/suppier, you can always email direct.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 05:19   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking69 View Post
have a look at mike wallers designs he has some nice cats in your size range.
Main Menu - Mike Waller Yacht Design Multihull Monohull Sharpies Catamarans Sail Power I am getting ready to start his 9.4 version which is not listed on his site as it is a hand drawn design and not in computer format yet.
I like Waller's 11M with the dagger option. I have the study plans it is a beauty.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 05:59   #36
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat View Post
this is true but woe betide you if you try to post any information not linked to scotts site its very unfriendly that way and in my opinion is the reason the site isnt more popular than it is, ive a few friends whove been told off in very unfriendly terms by scott for directing others to interesting info not on scotts site
sean
Yep, been there done that.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 08:49   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Building A Multihull is a Huge project , In the Harbour of Durban there is a marina where there are at least 50 unfinished projects , the plans labor time you can always double or even triple. A beter idea is to p[urchase a hull deck and bulkhead of a cat or tri to your liking and finish this boat of as you wish. It will save you time , money it might even save a marriage. take it for what it is worth from a experienced boat builder
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 19:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Pure Vida, 35' certainly is a manageable size boat to build, when considering initial material costs, build hours and ongoing mooring and maintenance costs. Many cats a lot smaller than this have circumnavigated ( annaleise and nine lives to mention just two.)

Remember the hulls only make up a small percentage of the overall project in both cost and time to build , the surface area of the underwing ,decks cabin and interior is cerainly a lot greater.

The fittings, rig ,motors etc etc will be similar to any othe 35' cat so select a pretty, well propotioned design, as a thing of beauty is a joy forever, and an ugly slab sided duckling will be just that irrespective of how much money and time you throw at paint and sign writing.

regards.
From actual boat building experience I beg to differ. Building the hulls and deck is a major proportion of the overall build, both in time and material costs. Building something with compound curves which will require extensive fairing will take much longer. Possibly twice as long. (possibly even more) A friend of mine is building a foam/glass boat, with beautiful (only if he gets them faired properly) compound curves - he had a 12 month head start over me (working on his boat full time) and looks very likely to finish years later than me. His boat is considerably smaller too.

Beauty is entirely subjective. There are plenty of boats that could be described as slab-sided and boxy, which are nonetheless highly desireable. For example: ::: gunboat :::
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 05:39   #39
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
In my opinion Building the hull deck and bulkheads with flooring and furniture is at least 60 % of the actual building time and for that reason I would advise to purchase this if possible . the idea of the Fusion 40 where they build these parts and they all fit into a container is fantastic. Another advantage is that these parts are build in a factory environment and the first part after arrival of a kit like this is closing it up and this saves a lot of time if you cannot build inside for instance.
I am sure there are more hull deck and bulkhead builders around that have suitable hulls for sale at reasonable pricing.
Maybe start a lead on available ready to assemble kits ?
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 20:42   #40

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
What to build

I built a Marples Constant Camber 35. It was a very nice boat elicited a lot of comments about how nice the lines were. I hated to sell it.
My boat was Western Red Cedar. very nice wood to work with. Panels took about 3 days to each to build. Strip plank is fairly fast using the methods outlined in the instruction booklet. The cabin had full headroom all the way fwd into the head area. I built the mid cockpit version. The aft cockpit version is more suitable for this boat. The stern is too pinched to give the comfort needed in the settee. My boat had rotating mast with synthetic rigging. She was very fast. best I did was 9 knots to weather and only 15 off the wind. About 20 knots of wind. I once passed two Hunter 40s going to weather they were reefed with the crew in foulies . My crew and I were in light jackets and dry I had a full main up and a 105 percent jib . Probably around 18 to 20 knots of wind. That boat sailed extremely well. left very little wake and performed nicely of course its not a Farrier. The only thing that keeps me from building another is age. Its time to go sailing, I have my eye on a Cross 38.
Red Horse
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:07   #41

Boat: now floating easy37
i just finished one of these

it took 2 years part time and i to have had a lot of comments about how nice the lines look, its all ply but ive fooled a couple of people already with one guy asking how long the strip planking took
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 20:14   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post

My question to the group is, what designs and designers are popular with builders? Frankly I'm not married to a cat or a tri at this point but I am leaning toward a tri. My boat experience is in ply/epoxy as well as GRP food vessels.

Thanks

pv
New member here. Also doing research on multihulls whilst finishing off present tasks. I have not seen much discussion on this design so will offer it up as a suggestion. I am interested in it as well as the Woods designs Gypsy and Eclipse.

Lavranos // Marine Design

Have also considered the Oram 44C, but the basic kit seems a bit high in price delivered to the USA besides the fact that balsa core seems unpopular here by my casual observation. The concept does appeal.

I think that the inside out building method used by Bob Oram could be adapted to other designs if being built of foam (or balsa) core/GRP.
sailrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 20:30   #43
cruiser

Red face Sailrjim's project

Sailrjim, what do you want to do with this boat? Boats are like any other tool-you need the right boat type for the job. How many people and how much stuff do you want to carry, for how long, how far, and how fast, and on what budget? These are all relevant, maybe even critical. Boats come in equivalents to everything from motorcycles to semi trucks.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 20:38   #44

Re: themultihull.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat View Post
sean
Ditto what Pat said.

In addition, the forum owner scott brown, modifies and deletes member's posts for the simple exchange of helpful info. One is not allowed to post personal email addresses and must request of the forum owner to pass along the address as intermediary. The rules seem clear though very restrictive, but are administered in an arbitrary manner. The software works poorly too. Too fascist and silly for me.
Old 17-04-2008, 21:31   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Sailrjim, what do you want to do with this boat? Boats are like any other tool-you need the right boat type for the job. How many people and how much stuff do you want to carry, for how long, how far, and how fast, and on what budget? These are all relevant, maybe even critical. Boats come in equivalents to everything from motorcycles to semi trucks.
Hi Tim,

I have previously perused your site. Interesting.

My idea:
  • must be able to afford to maintain as well as build; must be a catamaran
  • modest budget (low by some standards)
  • open ocean capable
  • good speed, but more interested in overall performance, especially light air
  • must handle well, easy to tack, responsive
  • motion in sea way as comfortable as the length allows
  • two on board, travelling with light to moderate load; light on the tools, spares and tinned food.
  • modest fitout with some possible upgrades in future such as watermaker; reduce water tankage accordingly, mostly manual equipment - winches, windlass, etc.
  • standing headroom throughout.
  • insulated against all climates, but not in the extreme. Must avoid condensation.
  • design for minimal chance of slamming in seas.
  • rig to be common, simple to make and maintain, good in light or strong winds.
  • user friendly way to embark/disembark.
  • must be capable windward sailing vessel with practical narrow tacking angle
  • two double berths, galley, private toilet, lounge/saloon,
  • I want to carry as much all chain rode as practical.
  • Would like a small diesel with lifting prop(s) but will settle for outboarder
  • tiller steering for simplicity; and I like it.
  • maximum ten electric lamps in the vessel accommodation.
  • user friendly all round boat to be maintained by me.
  • prefer to put money and time into quality rather than quantity/size/lenght
  • build from start to launch in two years; full time effort at roughly 1250 hrs/year solo with option to hire occasional assistance.
I do not want a vessel in which I have so much money and time invested that if I lost it I would be devastated. Liability (only) insurance is much easier to obtain for a small crew and is more affordable too. Sometimes, I will sail solo as I have in the past. I have found it nearly impossible to get full coverage for a solo ocean voyage.

Whew! So, from my reading, I am led to catamarans in the vicinity of 30 feet LWL/35 ft LOA, built in ply/GRP utilising kit cut panels for most of the vessel. Even if I determine that I could build in foam core, I would still use a precut panel kit.