Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 16:21   #16

Boat: now floating easy37
i personally have loved the the building of my boat but i would not be prepared to put 3-4000 hours into it, its just too long, one of my prerequisites when i was looking at designs was speed and i basically came up with the three designers i mentioned earlier. i chose peter snell because i couldnt weld ally at the time, and i didnt like the look of bobs boats as much as i do now(they have grown on me) also a guy down the road from me had built the same boat as i had in 2 years part time while working fulltime as a sparky and being a dad to 3 kids so i figured if he could do it so could i
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 16:33   #17
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat View Post
build an easy33 or 35, www.easycat.50webs.com theyre quick 2000 hrs or less if competent, cheap mine will be on the water for 65000 and they look nice, plus theres a fiarly good support forum for them
if your into more of a composite then look into bob oram as his boats are faster to build than farriers or schionnings
sean
This URL works.

Index

Sean's build. Sean and Tania 1

Easy web site: Easy catamarans
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 21:07   #18

Boat: now floating easy37
oops sorry i havent used the url lately, the other thing that swayed me about the snell boats was the low cost, i am the wrong side of sixty for the capital needed for some of the other designers, i could have afforded the three designers i mentioned but the others were all just out of reach and i want to go sailing now not in ten years when i will be able to afford there boats
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 16:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
Yes but there are some obvious reasons for that.

Mike
True. The obvious reason Bob's boats are faster and easier to build is because he has designed them to be. His building method takes full advantage of using Duflex panels - initially building the hulls right side up inside a small number of female frames, using gravity to help rather than working against it.

By comparison Schionning's Duflex boats are built in a similar way to his strip planked boats - upside down, around a large number of bulkheads and temporary frames. You have to use ratchet straps etc to hold the panels in place against gravity, you have to get under the hulls and work overhead and in the dark doing short glue joins and tapes between bulkheads and frames, with epoxy raining down on you, whereas with Bob's method you do continuous glue joins and tapes, right side up, the full length of the boat. Look in my photo gallery and see how far you get in just 8 days. How does that compare to your own progress?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...00&userid=3477
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 20:41   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
What are the ultimate intentions for the boat you intend to build? If you are interested in full time liveaboard or long term cruising I don't think the Farrier tris have the storage space and cargo capacity for this. So many of the newer trimaran designs seem to be geared more to short term "performance cruising". For that the Farrier would be high on the list.
IMO for serious long term cruising with a trimaran you may have to go back a few years to some of the older designs. Now you don't have to go all the way back to the early days and build a Piver but look at some of the later generation of designs. Norm Cross has some nice designs that have a choice of building materials in the size range you are interested. Jim Brown's Searunners despite the age of the design and what some would consider outdated building material(ply and glass) are still being built because they make such a great cruising boat. I think that my choice if I were building a new cruising trimaran would be one of John Marples Constant Camber designs. Several to chose from including the centercockpit cruisers and the more performance orientated Fast Cruising models. Check out this website there is a link to a detailed account of building a CC 44 by a very talented builder.
The Adventures of Rikki-tikki-tavi

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 14:29   #21

Boat: C&C 27
First, I have to admit that I've been having about as much fun as you can have at the keyboard. The designs you guys have been sharing are really wetting my appitite to get started. To share a little bit more based on famaily history I've got about another 30 good years left in me so I don't plan on spending half of that building a boat. (Maybe boat building but not the same boat.) So the designs are considered in that light. As all of us I dream of voyaging, but it is highly unlikely. That is why I purchased a C&C. You can do come costal cruising and it is a great bay boat. That is also why I am considering the Farier Tri. It may be too cramped for more than a couple of weeks up and down the coast, but think how much coast you get to see! But there may be another boats that sings to me... I'll spend the rest of the year looking at designs and study plans before making a decision. Please keep the ideas coming and for those of you are have build and are building share the stories.

thanks
pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 14:45   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Without going into gory details it looks like I'm going to be bound to the shore, at least until I get a post grad finished. Furthermore I'm going to spend more time than I like at our small farm eighty miles from the coast.
I'm worried for you, PV. Doesn't your relocation put you somewhere close to this?

"Mythical chupacabra found in Texas?

Eric Gay / AP
Phylis Canion holds the head of what she is calling a chupacabra that may have killed her chickens. One veterinarian thinks it’s a strange breed of dog; she wants to have DNA tests done.

From the Associated Press
September 1, 2007

"CUERO, Texas — Phylis Canion lived in Africa for four years. She has been a hunter all her life and has the mounted heads of a zebra and other exotic animals in her house to prove it.

"But the roadkill she found last month outside her ranch was a new one even for her, worth hiding in a freezer: Canion believes she may have the head of the mythical, bloodsucking chupacabra."

For the rest of the story, go to:

I'd hate to read that your dreams of building and sailing your own vessel to exotic ports came to naught because of a little "goat-sucker."

TaoJones
Old 05-09-2007, 15:36   #23

Boat: C&C 27
I'm surprised the momma let one that little out of the den...
Sorry, but in order to keep your voters registration valid you have to use the "every thing is bigger" cliche twice per year.

I'll be building to the north and east of Cuero about 60 miles, in a shack outside La Grange...
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 16:57   #24
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry for the Sign Up link at the LA Times, everyone. Try this link for the AP story on the supposed chupacabra:

Wyoming Tribune-Eagle Online :: AP News

I'm still worried for you, PV. Those little goatsuckers have been reported all the way down into Central America.

TaoJones
Old 05-09-2007, 19:50   #25

Boat: Building a 65' catamaran at moment
And let us not forget Kelsall, at kelsall.com

He also has designed an approach to make it easy for amateurs to make one-offs, as well as professionsals.
OldYachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 20:32   #26

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
I built a Marples constant camber 35, Very fast boat. Construction time was about 2 years spread over 10. I believe I could build it in one year full time. I broke all the rules of boatbuilding. Outside was one, I was a hundred miles from the ocean in the desert. Marples has a couple of designs in constant camber around 30 feet. These would be coastal cruisers. Constant camber hulls are long and narrow. The 35 would be a cruising boat. I had many comments on my boat as they are so sleak looking. Marples is in St Augustine he advertises in Multihulls. I really liked that boat. Unfortunately I had to sell it last year in July.
Rich
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 05:33   #27

How about building a Woods designed catamaran. It makkes use of the flat panel technology and is designed to be built by homebuilders. I am interested in the Woods designed Gypsy 28, a budget ocean going catamaran.
yfwong57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 06:28   #28
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
If you are interested in building I would commend www.themulithull.com/ - they have numerous members currently constructing cats by various designers and, in addition, an entire section devoted to Wharrams. Woods designs are certainly attractive, fast and seaworthy. Two years ago the Woods abandoned his own Eclipse 32 in horrible conditions, only to find out it was still upright and intact a couple of weeks later.

He and his wife are currently heading back to sea in another of his designs - and apparently one smaller than the 32. Definitely worth a look...

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 12:13   #29

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
For a quick and easy building technique, you might want to check out Derek Kelsall's KSS flat panel, resin infused construction method.

Catamarans - Kelsall Catamarans - Boat Designs
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 16:49   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Without going into gory details it looks like I'm going to be bound to the shore, at least until I get a post grad finished. Furthermore I'm going to spend more time than I like at our small farm eighty miles from the coast.

After building a few boats, all under 20 feet I have decided to use my time ashore to build a multihull under 35 feet. The length is due to space limits in my workspace. I will begin reading through some of the more recent build threads in the multihull forum and going over the Wharram and Farrier designs I have collected.

My question to the group is, what designs and designers are popular with builders? Frankly I'm not married to a cat or a tri at this point but I am leaning toward a tri. My boat experience is in ply/epoxy as well as GRP food vessels.

Thanks

pv
You won't find many quicker or easier boats to build, or more fun boats to race/cruise than this:
Bob Oram Design » 29′ Islander
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote