Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 22:24   #1

What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Hi,and thanks to all for taking time to read this.
We've looked all around online and can't find a real answer to our ideas. Sorry if this goes on,but I believe in giving as much info as possible.

We have a 70' power motoryacht (everyone says that over 60' you need a captain) but we do fine,so not afraid of larger vessels.
We tend to use the main vessel as a mother ship,don't move much but explore the local areas via different means for various amounts of time.
Spend very little time in marinas or in cities. Small towns,for short times.

Own waterfront in S. Florida (so docking/storage is no problem) and we want to start spending 6 months a year or more there. Have spent time and love it.
Our area of cruising would be the Gulf Coast,to the Keys,Bahamas,the Virgin Islands but not much further south. No other places-those are what cruises and airplanes are for. No ocean crossings

So we are looking for a larger sail cat:
-like the room and open space
-flat living (not that a 70' rolls)
-privacy,don't want to hear other's midnight bathroom visits nor night time fun
-shallow draft,hopefully beachable
etc
We'd go for a power cat,but to be honest every one we've seen online is uglier than sin and much more (under a mill) than we want to spend.
We likely wouldn't sail very much.

We have aboard,and would like the same in FLA:
-two,3 passenger PWCs (could do with one perhaps in FLA) 900 pounds each. May get a 15-17' sport boat and ditch the PWCs,and tow it
-small RIB
-scuba tanks,compressors
-a few bicycles
-stand up boards.several
-ocean kayaks,2 or 3 singles and a couple doubles
-two 50cc scooters, 170 pounds each
-freezer,food,etc
-we'd add a wack of solar,but not much weight.

Have friends/family come and visit for a week or two-from 2 to 6 people at a time,not always couples. So we need room. Used to a large vessel,so used to spending time washing,maintenance etc. and we both like having things to do.

Don't want to be tripping over things, and have awkward things going on on the decks. My wife found one that we really like,but we'd like to see what the the general opinion is for length vs what we have.
We'd rather have a slightly older and bigger well maintained vessel than a newer and smaller one-regardless of it's maintenance.

At any rate,a lot to digest..and we'd like to thank any and all in advance for taking the time to read and perhaps shoot us an idea.
Much appreciated.

Regards,D and T
DaveWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 23:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

If you're not going to sail much, why not find a powerboat with a bigger or better layout? My cabin is 30' away from my guests. And a little sound proofing goes a long way. I have 2 separate main cabin areas for tv. Bar, 2 freezers, 36" double door reefer, washer/dryer, dishwasher and full size stove. I carry a 16' Bayliner I/O on my top deck and lots of room there for other items. That's a lot to cram on any sailboat. And I don't need a captain.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 23:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If you're not going to sail much, why not find a powerboat with a bigger or better layout? My cabin is 30' away from my guests. And a little sound proofing goes a long way. I have 2 separate main cabin areas for tv. Bar, 2 freezers, 36" double door reefer, washer/dryer, dishwasher and full size stove. I carry a 16' Bayliner I/O on my top deck and lots of room there for other items. That's a lot to cram on any sailboat. And I don't need a captain.
+1 on this.

I kept trying to respond with potentials, but my gut just tells me it would be a mess. I feel like he'd be forced to store about a ton of pleasure-craft forward of the bridgedeck...and that just feels like disaster considering his price range means a 60-70 footer with the 90's early 2000's skinny hull design.

Sailing Cat seems like a poor fit for this purpose.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 00:00   #4

It's hard to find even single picture of catamaran of any size (up to 62') been factory made or converted to carry one (let alone few) PWC, bicycles and other toys. Anything bigger than 62' is very expensive (unless it's extremely old). So if you want such cat, you'd have to modify it yourself.There's plenty of room on bigger cats (a specially on newer ones, 56'+) some of it can be converted to garage/storage.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 00:33   #5

Boat: PT-11

Malcolm Tennant Multihull Design Ltd - Powercat
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 04:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, D & T.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 04:31   #7

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

This looks the most promising with regards to the "stuff" you want to put aboard.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998...s#.V-pXgYY8LYU

No sailing cat is going to have the room on deck you desire, nor is the price going to be under a million for something that you wouldn't be a slave to ownership (mechanic condition)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 05:15   #8

Boat: Shopping

You might be able to handle a 70' powerboat, but a 70' sailboat is a different animal. The mainsail might weigh 200 pounds. Sailing a big boat is serious business. And you won't have the deck space you imagine, because there will be sheets and halyards and furling lines and reefing lines and winches and tracks and blocks and stays and shrouds everywhere. And while there are about 100 things that can go wrong on a powerboat at any time, there are 1,000 on a sailboat (at last count). Even when you are sitting still, somewhere on the boat something is breaking. And sailing catamarans do not like weight. And I don't know what speed you're used to on the powerboat, but a sailboat will not likely have the engines to go fast.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 05:49   #9

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

We have friends with a 78' Shuttleworth cat. I believe the mast is 104'. It's a large boat sailed (yes, sailed) by a senior couple up and down the East Coast and Caribbean. Main is mast furling. A lot of things have been arranged to accommodate short handed sailing on a large boat. While they're no longer doing charters, they have comfortable and capable vessel on which to live and explore. I don't see the owner spending more time maintaining the boat than the rest of us, and it's a very nice boat.

Cheers,
Old 27-09-2016, 05:59   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Not a sailor I'm guessing.

First there is the assumption that operating a sailboat and a powerboat are the same thing. My experience is that a child can operate most boats under power, but that sailboats require a bit more knowledge and activity. I'll leave it at that, since this is a case where if you have to ask the question, you can't.

Second, if the sailing isn't important, don't do it for the "look." The OP must be smarter than that to have amassed the funds.

Barely a sailing topic.
Old 27-09-2016, 07:33   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

azimuth makes a mega that holds all your toys. all the cartellians and politicos and moooveestarrzzz and richie riches here have azimuth megas. 140 ft might just be right size for you. (cannot leave anyone out--all look same, so it is hard to tell, donot want to slight anyone). they have internal garages for toys, lots of deck space for sunbathing, and
bring money. ha ha ha ha they aint cheap. \
cannot think of any sailing craft would be able to hold your toys other than mallenium falcon. if that one.
i did see a 70 ft cat with one sea doo, 2 inflatables and some other toys,not as many as you listed, but they had had issues in weather, so were kinda torn up some.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 13:00   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

The gates of wrath are about to come crashing down.
If you reduce the PWC to a single unit the rest is all totally doable.
Goodness knows where people get their info from.
Biggest issue is where to store everything, its not the weight.......and that means two PWC's are a challenge. The little scooters are each equal to one person. The other items can be large but not significantly heavy. The scooters will be a challenge getting them inside the boat, and into one of the cabins for storage. They shall also most likely rust very quickly. There are several 45ft cats that would fit the requirements that I can think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalters View Post
Hi,and thanks to all for taking time to read this.
We've looked all around online and can't find a real answer to our ideas. Sorry if this goes on,but I believe in giving as much info as possible.

We have a 70' power motoryacht (everyone says that over 60' you need a captain) but we do fine,so not afraid of larger vessels.
We tend to use the main vessel as a mother ship,don't move much but explore the local areas via different means for various amounts of time.
Spend very little time in marinas or in cities. Small towns,for short times.

Own waterfront in S. Florida (so docking/storage is no problem) and we want to start spending 6 months a year or more there. Have spent time and love it.
Our area of cruising would be the Gulf Coast,to the Keys,Bahamas,the Virgin Islands but not much further south. No other places-those are what cruises and airplanes are for. No ocean crossings

So we are looking for a larger sail cat:
-like the room and open space
-flat living (not that a 70' rolls)
-privacy,don't want to hear other's midnight bathroom visits nor night time fun
-shallow draft,hopefully beachable
etc
We'd go for a power cat,but to be honest every one we've seen online is uglier than sin and much more (under a mill) than we want to spend.
We likely wouldn't sail very much.

We have aboard,and would like the same in FLA:
-two,3 passenger PWCs (could do with one perhaps in FLA) 900 pounds each. May get a 15-17' sport boat and ditch the PWCs,and tow it
-small RIB
-scuba tanks,compressors
-a few bicycles
-stand up boards.several
-ocean kayaks,2 or 3 singles and a couple doubles
-two 50cc scooters, 170 pounds each
-freezer,food,etc
-we'd add a wack of solar,but not much weight.

Have friends/family come and visit for a week or two-from 2 to 6 people at a time,not always couples. So we need room. Used to a large vessel,so used to spending time washing,maintenance etc. and we both like having things to do.

Don't want to be tripping over things, and have awkward things going on on the decks. My wife found one that we really like,but we'd like to see what the the general opinion is for length vs what we have.
We'd rather have a slightly older and bigger well maintained vessel than a newer and smaller one-regardless of it's maintenance.

At any rate,a lot to digest..and we'd like to thank any and all in advance for taking the time to read and perhaps shoot us an idea.
Much appreciated.

Regards,D and T
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 15:54   #13

2009 CATANA 65 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
wonder how reliable the hydraulic platform is?
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 16:13   #14

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35

I remember a guy that used to carry his motorcycle on his cat. Needless to say it did not turn out very well for him, and the Coasties were not impressed either.

Sounds like you might need a freighter, not a sailboat for your toy list, unless your sailboat is much larger than your present powerboat. I can't even imagine the time and detail required to lash down all such toys for inevitable weather events.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HIhaters.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	131927  
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 16:34   #15

Barge with your own container and live on your tug.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size