Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 16:44   #16
Registered User
 
Sea Dreaming's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Whoo! Finally made it back to Mexico!
Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Posts: 1,316
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

I don't want to sound critical. Your lifestyle is your own. But, I can't help but wonder if you would have fewer guests if you weren't hauling club med around. Less toys = less guests = peace, quiet and a more manageable boat size. Just a different approach to solving a problem
__________________

__________________
If toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you strapped toast to a cat's back and dropped it? - Steven Wright
Sea Dreaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 02:29   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 578
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Dave, it is a pleasant dilemma to have. Most of us on here can't fathom your problem. Sailboats are a lot trickier than powerboats. You get a 100 foot mast with a 1500 sq ft deeply roached main... squall hits and you will know what real praying is all about. Not saying it can't be learned. You r trying to put so many toys on her that she will sail worse than a pig. Dealing with corrosion on motorbikes kept on deck ... even if well covered will be just like throwing money in the water.

You need a paradigm shift when u go from power to sail. We r different type of people me thinks. You will become a slave to corrosion prevention. Smile.
__________________

__________________
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 19:06   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Thanks to many for your helpful ideas.

FWIW I've probably done more distance sailing on larger cats-or any cats-than anyone posting here.
I purposely left that point out,to see who would make assumptions, and who would take us at face value.

We want and need a large vessel,and can pay for it.We choose to keep it under a certain price, by choice. Simple.

Lepke: Power boat,but like I said before we want a multi for the shallow draft and beaching. Cool vessel you have,we're in BC...don't recall ever seeing you. And I'm not in the mood to ship nor cruise mine there.

Event: likely not a ton,and not ahead of the mast. Thanks.

Ranchero: not that expensive,and not that old. Agree nothing factory BUT I have seen a 60' or so with a PWC in Fiji.

SV Neko: looked at Tennant, don't want to wait years and spend large-only to have it instantly worth half what we spent on it.

Gord May: Thank you

Sailmonkey: Thanks for the link,recall I can do with one PWC and the boards are bulky but light.

Cotton: thanks for concern, but review my point at the start.

jdazey: I think I've seen them. I've also met a couple in their 60's with a 60' cat. On rare long trips they'd get help for watches etc. We really like the 63' Shuttleworths,they have a large rear platform.

thinwater: "Not a sailor I'm guessing." ....refer to my second paragraph above.
"I'll leave it at that, since this is a case where if you have to ask the question, you can't." Let's see...hmm..an assumptive false cause fallacy used as an ad hominem attack. Again,refer to my second paragraph above.
History is littered with many good boats/cars/trucks etc that got the job done,but were not great looking....and didn't sell.

zeehag: ???? But at least you admit it may exist,thank you for your time.

Bulawayo: Thank you. Like I said and you noticed,one PWC would do. Like I stated previously,we frequently have guests and not all married so I'm sure my old school friends won't want to bunk up with my wife's 60 year old mom...nor vice versa The scooters are optional...and never had any problems with corrosion storing them in the garage,or in the spare cabin on the 50'.
"The gates of wrath are about to come crashing down. If you reduce the PWC to a single unit the rest is all totally doable. Goodness knows where people get their info from."
I'm not sure.
But what I do know is I've done very well in life by not listening to people who say something can't,shouldn't,or will never be done.



Uponstands: thank you,we have seen the Catana

JerseyJoe: scoots wouldn't be on deck,and not mandatory anyways.
Our present powerboat is over 70',but again-want shallow draft and beaching potential. I don't see how you think it'll take a long time to lash down some kayaks and such.

SVDestiny: bored?

Sea Dream: Our friends and family-we enjoy having them around,and the same in return.
Yet I won't tell you to get a bigger boat and get more friends....

alansmith: your concerns explained above

We have several in mind,will keep looking and enquiring.

Regards
__________________
DaveWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 23:54   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,262
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Dave, you are correct in my view. Many naysayers ....... from a 45ft cat your list (if just a single PWC) is very reasonable if we had a few less kids. Interestingly, many years ago we cruised with a guy who had a very similar amount of kit as you listed - and he 'sailed' a Dean Catamaran - a 365 which is 36.5ft. He kept his motor scooter on the aft platform with a sail cloth cover on whilst coastal sailing and then he somehow got it into one hull for longer passages - probably by taking of the front wheel. His PWC always lived aft. There are many cats that can carry the load easily - a friend with a Leopard 43 carries a massive amount of gear from a workshop equipped with just about every tool you can imagine, enough galley 'toys' to start a restaurant, to expedition equipment for when he and his wife feel the need to road tour. Much does not see any use from one year to the next.
Good luck to you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalters View Post
Thanks to many for your helpful ideas.

FWIW I've probably done more distance sailing on larger cats-or any cats-than anyone posting here.
I purposely left that point out,to see who would make assumptions, and who would take us at face value.

We want and need a large vessel,and can pay for it.We choose to keep it under a certain price, by choice. Simple.

Lepke: Power boat,but like I said before we want a multi for the shallow draft and beaching. Cool vessel you have,we're in BC...don't recall ever seeing you. And I'm not in the mood to ship nor cruise mine there.

Event: likely not a ton,and not ahead of the mast. Thanks.

Ranchero: not that expensive,and not that old. Agree nothing factory BUT I have seen a 60' or so with a PWC in Fiji.

SV Neko: looked at Tennant, don't want to wait years and spend large-only to have it instantly worth half what we spent on it.

Gord May: Thank you

Sailmonkey: Thanks for the link,recall I can do with one PWC and the boards are bulky but light.

Cotton: thanks for concern, but review my point at the start.

jdazey: I think I've seen them. I've also met a couple in their 60's with a 60' cat. On rare long trips they'd get help for watches etc. We really like the 63' Shuttleworths,they have a large rear platform.

thinwater: "Not a sailor I'm guessing." ....refer to my second paragraph above.
"I'll leave it at that, since this is a case where if you have to ask the question, you can't." Let's see...hmm..an assumptive false cause fallacy used as an ad hominem attack. Again,refer to my second paragraph above.
History is littered with many good boats/cars/trucks etc that got the job done,but were not great looking....and didn't sell.

zeehag: ???? But at least you admit it may exist,thank you for your time.

Bulawayo: Thank you. Like I said and you noticed,one PWC would do. Like I stated previously,we frequently have guests and not all married so I'm sure my old school friends won't want to bunk up with my wife's 60 year old mom...nor vice versa The scooters are optional...and never had any problems with corrosion storing them in the garage,or in the spare cabin on the 50'.
"The gates of wrath are about to come crashing down. If you reduce the PWC to a single unit the rest is all totally doable. Goodness knows where people get their info from."
I'm not sure.
But what I do know is I've done very well in life by not listening to people who say something can't,shouldn't,or will never be done.



Uponstands: thank you,we have seen the Catana

JerseyJoe: scoots wouldn't be on deck,and not mandatory anyways.
Our present powerboat is over 70',but again-want shallow draft and beaching potential. I don't see how you think it'll take a long time to lash down some kayaks and such.

SVDestiny: bored?

Sea Dream: Our friends and family-we enjoy having them around,and the same in return.
Yet I won't tell you to get a bigger boat and get more friends....

alansmith: your concerns explained above

We have several in mind,will keep looking and enquiring.

Regards
__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 23:59   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,262
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Dave, you are correct in my view. Many naysayers ....... from a 45ft cat perspective your list (if just a single PWC) is very reasonable if we had a few less kids. We could certainly carry your requirements and our aft platform is rated at over 800lbs. Interestingly, many years ago we cruised with a guy who had a very similar amount of kit as you listed - and he 'sailed' a Dean Catamaran - a 365 which is 36.5ft. He kept his motor scooter and PWC on the aft platform with a sail cloth cover on whilst coastal sailing and then he somehow got the scooter into one hull for longer passages - probably by taking of the front wheel. His PWC always lived aft. There are many cats that can carry the load easily - a friend with a Leopard 43 carries a massive amount of gear from a workshop equipped with just about every tool you can imagine, enough galley 'toys' to start a restaurant, to expedition equipment for when he and his wife feel the need to road tour. Much does not see any use from one year to the next. We have clocked up 21 years cat full time live aboard cruising now and just over 85,000 miles.
Good luck to you.[/QUOTE]
__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 16:25   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
meatservo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DFW
Boat: wanting a cat
Posts: 405
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Check out Lightwave, maybe they could custom build you a supercat. Sounds like you might need a tailored design for your mission...

Best of luck and I hope you let us know how you make out!

meatservo
__________________
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 16:59   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area (Boat in La Paz)
Boat: Valiant V40
Posts: 295
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cannot think of any sailing craft would be able to hold your toys other than mallenium falcon. if that one.
And Perkins sold the Falcon because it couldn't hold his new submarine toy ...
__________________
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 17:38   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Singapore
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Posts: 247
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalters View Post
Hi,and thanks to all for taking time to read this.
We've looked all around online and can't find a real answer to our ideas. Sorry if this goes on,but I believe in giving as much info as possible.

We have a 70' power motoryacht (everyone says that over 60' you need a captain) but we do fine,so not afraid of larger vessels.
We tend to use the main vessel as a mother ship,don't move much but explore the local areas via different means for various amounts of time.
Spend very little time in marinas or in cities. Small towns,for short times.

Own waterfront in S. Florida (so docking/storage is no problem) and we want to start spending 6 months a year or more there. Have spent time and love it.
Our area of cruising would be the Gulf Coast,to the Keys,Bahamas,the Virgin Islands but not much further south. No other places-those are what cruises and airplanes are for. No ocean crossings

So we are looking for a larger sail cat:
-like the room and open space
-flat living (not that a 70' rolls)
-privacy,don't want to hear other's midnight bathroom visits nor night time fun
-shallow draft,hopefully beachable
etc
We'd go for a power cat,but to be honest every one we've seen online is uglier than sin and much more (under a mill) than we want to spend.
We likely wouldn't sail very much.

We have aboard,and would like the same in FLA:
-two,3 passenger PWCs (could do with one perhaps in FLA) 900 pounds each. May get a 15-17' sport boat and ditch the PWCs,and tow it
-small RIB
-scuba tanks,compressors
-a few bicycles
-stand up boards.several
-ocean kayaks,2 or 3 singles and a couple doubles
-two 50cc scooters, 170 pounds each
-freezer,food,etc
-we'd add a wack of solar,but not much weight.

Have friends/family come and visit for a week or two-from 2 to 6 people at a time,not always couples. So we need room. Used to a large vessel,so used to spending time washing,maintenance etc. and we both like having things to do.

Don't want to be tripping over things, and have awkward things going on on the decks. My wife found one that we really like,but we'd like to see what the the general opinion is for length vs what we have.
We'd rather have a slightly older and bigger well maintained vessel than a newer and smaller one-regardless of it's maintenance.

At any rate,a lot to digest..and we'd like to thank any and all in advance for taking the time to read and perhaps shoot us an idea.
Much appreciated.

Regards,D and T
Suggest you should be looking at Sunreefs, a few of there older 70 foot models are good value these days if you are prepared to spend over the $1M mark or look at one of the new Supreme Sunreefs , would easily cover what you a looking for.

The Supreme 58 or 68 would be a suitable size,

Sunreef Supreme 68 Sailing - Sunreef Yachts
__________________
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 14:54   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 91
What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

The NEEL tris might be a solution for you, or an old lagoon 67. Or maybe a Privilege. Hard to find old cats with modern requirements though
__________________
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:32   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Meatservo: Thanks,will check them out.

Andrew: Thank you for the ideas,we have looked a the Sunreef 62 and is on the semi-short list. The flybridge with all the lines at hand if perfect, the interiors are a bit formal for our tastes but good to go.
The one thing that bothers us both is the lack of an island master berth.
The new Supreme 68 is nice but too mucho dinero...

Cbro: Yes we really like the Lagoon 67,perfect layout,but no island master berth and the helm way out at the aft corner isn't conducive to single/short handed sailing.
The Privilege 65-love it,the helm is a bit iffy,perfect master stateroom.

There's a couple others out there,will be touring one in a month or so.

Thanks again guys for the ideas
__________________
DaveWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 14:39   #26
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Living aboard & cruising since 1972
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,607
Images: 1
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalters View Post
Hi,and thanks to all for taking time to read this.
We've looked all around online and can't find a real answer to our ideas. Sorry if this goes on,but I believe in giving as much info as possible.

We have a 70' power motoryacht (everyone says that over 60' you need a captain) but we do fine,so not afraid of larger vessels.
We tend to use the main vessel as a mother ship,don't move much but explore the local areas via different means for various amounts of time.
Spend very little time in marinas or in cities. Small towns,for short times.

Own waterfront in S. Florida (so docking/storage is no problem) and we want to start spending 6 months a year or more there. Have spent time and love it.
Our area of cruising would be the Gulf Coast,to the Keys,Bahamas,the Virgin Islands but not much further south. No other places-those are what cruises and airplanes are for. No ocean crossings

So we are looking for a larger sail cat: ....................
....................
I like your plan and admire your resources. I see that you've already discriminated between the long distance cruise and air flight destinations compared to poking about nearer to your South Florida home.

I am assuming to suggest a third tier of travel and exploring that would not include the burden of ownership. If your plans take you to the intermediate range,- Caymans, Barbados, Where-ever,- why not rent the location and the toys for a couple months? Storing and transporting all you want sounds like more of a burden and a greater cost than the temporary use of these items on site.

You've likely already considered this, but I thought it deserved a mention
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 15:11   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 6,553
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Sounds like a 70' motor yacht is a good fit...why change?
__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 16:42   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 91
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Sounds like a 70' motor yacht is a good fit...why change?

Look previous posts: beaching and stability
__________________
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 19:06   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Hudson:great idea but do you have any idea of what it costs to rent a large cat for 4 months,for a few years? Put it this way,we could rent one for 3 years OR we could buy one for the same amount.
Plus we are sort of locked in,time wise- it would be silly to go home for a couple weeks if wanted,and have a $$$$ a day rental sitting there.

Cbro: that,and we don't feel like spending well over 6 figures one way to ship the boat from home to Miami,and the same back...every year.
Plus rely on their schedule which will undoubtedly be all wrong.
Same deal as above,after 3-4 years of this would pay for something in FLA.
__________________
DaveWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 18:10   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5
Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Hi Dave

Sounds like a great plan,great you know exactly what you want and need.
I've been on a couple charters of large captained cats and at $22k to $25k per week-like you say chartering is not a great option.

But don't tell anyone that the captain single handed each one...

Best wishes.
__________________

__________________
Steve Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
size

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outfitting Our Boat to Sail Around the World: the Stuff We Love & Regret Cheeky Monkey Construction, Maintenance & Refit 18 29-09-2016 17:17
Is it possible to haul in all chain by hand? northoceanbeach Anchoring & Mooring 103 31-08-2015 08:26
1st Post, and 1st Step into our Journey to Realize our Dream ricksieminski Multihull Sailboats 19 22-02-2014 11:42
There Are Haul-Outs, and then There Are Haul-Outs Starbuck Cruising News & Events 7 05-06-2010 23:08
To haul out, or not to haul out? Ocean Roads Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 30-04-2009 00:26


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.