Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 15:22   #1
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
What size bolt cutters

What size bolt cutters would be good for emergency cutting stays or shrouds on a 40-44' Catamaran (think Leopard or Lagoon). 14", 24", 42"?
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:32   #2
RPZ

Re: What size bolt cutters

If you are going to buy these at a local store as opposed to buying online, find something the same diameter as what you may want to cut. Take it with you and use it to see what bolt cutters with the jaws open wide enough to get the item well up into the cutting jaws without the handles being spread very wide.

Maximum cutting force will then be available and make any cuts the least strenuous. You do not want it to be a struggle. My 2 cents.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:58   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Ridgid 14238 S42 Bolt Cutter

44 inch over all.

Cuts 11/16 metal

Rigging is hard to cut, so you need the most leverage you can get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-22-2016 6-52-47 PM.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	136635  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 16:29   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

BTW, bolt cutters dont work worth a crap on wire rigging...thats not what they are designed to do. They are designed to break, not cut, bolts. Get cable shears instead.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:30   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's worth searching CF on the bolt cutters vs. cable shears question. As about a year ago +/- the topic came up, & I was of the opinion that bolt cutters sucked for cutting stays as well. But another member linked an article in a British sailing magazine, where they commonly do tests on gear, which directly mimic most onboard emergencies. Losing mast being one of them. And IIRC, the bolt cutters were okay for rigging, even rod rigging, along with many other things.

That's not to say that shears for rigging wire are a bad idea. As I was mightlily impressed by their efficacy the first time I saw them in action. They snipped 10mm wire like a good pair of scissors does yarn. It was when Fritz at Pacific Offshore Rigging was kind enough to make me a cable to lock up my dinghy with, & he used a pair of Felcos. Which aren't cheap, but...

BTW, the mentioned magazine also videos most of their tests. Including doing a rollover of a 38' monohull, in order to test all kinds of gear, & theories. Which, if you find said article or periodical, I'd love to know what it is.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:53   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I ditched the big bolt cutters aboard.

The best thing you can have is a battery powered angle grinder IF IF IF you keep it powered. That's a big if.

Low-end turnbuckles (some Catalinas, etc.) are cast and can be busted with a hammer. That's fastest if that's what you have.

My preference is a flexible hand-powered metal saw- one of those "survival" tools.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:54   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I hated my Felco cutter. Bought it for emergencies but used it to replace rigging. Was very disappointed in the huge amount of effort required. If you're built like "The Rock" then have at it, but I'm a Clark Kent (not superman in disguise). I ended up using a high speed ceramic cutting wheel in my rotary tool, and it cuts like butter - clean cuts without distortion or crushing the strands either. The way to go if using mechanical terminal fittings.

For emergencies I like my hydraulic cable cutter. I found mine on eBay for about $150 but they sell for over $1k new. Search the web for "hydraulic cable cutter."
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:54   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
It's worth searching CF on the bolt cutters vs. cable shears question. As about a year ago +/- the topic came up, & I was of the opinion that bolt cutters sucked for cutting stays as well. But another member linked an article in a British sailing magazine, where they commonly do tests on gear, which directly mimic most onboard emergencies. Losing mast being one of them. And IIRC, the bolt cutters were okay for rigging, even rod rigging, along with many other things.

That's not to say that shears for rigging wire are a bad idea. As I was mightlily impressed by their efficacy the first time I saw them in action. They snipped 10mm wire like a good pair of scissors does yarn. It was when Fritz at Pacific Offshore Rigging was kind enough to make me a cable to lock up my dinghy with, & he used a pair of Felcos. Which aren't cheap, but...

BTW, the mentioned magazine also videos most of their tests. Including doing a rollover of a 38' monohull, in order to test all kinds of gear, & theories. Which, if you find said article or periodical, I'd love to know what it is.
I think Ive seen those test videos, dont recall a bolt cutters test, but very well done ones that I did see. Unfortunately, dont have a clue where to find them again....is GordyMay reading this?

In my, admitted limited experience, hardware store grade bolt cutters just crush wire rigging, but I've got a big pair of cable shears that slice it like butter.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 20:03   #9

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I think Ive seen those test videos, dont recall a bolt cutters test, but very well done ones that I did see. Unfortunately, dont have a clue where to find them again....
The vids you are referring to are the Yachting Monthly "Crash Test Boat" series - google will find them for you. In the "Dismasting" video, a variety of tools are used to cut the wire rigging, from bolt-cutters to a hacksaw, all seem to work, but some seemed easier than others.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 23:31   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Some years ago I was dismasted and then bought a new mast. The chaps who built it and rigged it used a pair of Felco shears, and were easily able to cut 3/8 Dyform wire. They were being very kind to me, and providing most stuff not part of the mast at their cost, so I had them get me a pair of the Felco cutters. Not cheap, even at trade prices! And then, I discovered that in reality, I wasn't as strong as the strapping young riggers, and found that I had a very hard time cutting even 5/16 inch wire. Drat! They need much longer handles for an old fart to find them useful, and handle extensions are not what you want to be fooling with if trying to jettison a downed mast, in the dark, with a considerable sea state (as I had too recently been). They are a lovely tool and make clean cuts, but my, the power needed to force those handles together!

Something that might work, especially for emergency use, is a cutter powered by the little explosive thingumbobs. Very quick, will cut big wire in awkward positions, and it
shouldn't be too hard to keep a pocketful of the cartridges in reserve for emergencies.
I've never used one, but have seen them advertised...

Jim
Old 22-11-2016, 23:40   #11

Boat: Custom 55

I've found that the even with big bolt cutters, it's still a chore to get through bigger SS rigging.

Our rig removal kit now contains a porter-cable heavy-duty cordless grinder with a new cutoff wheel. We make sure the battery's kept charged up, and keep a plastic bag attached to it to keep it dry on deck.

I've cut through 1/2"x4" stainless plate with this tool with no trouble, it'll rip through rigging very, very quickly.

I'd say it's a better way to go for sure.

But, we still have some bolt cutters on board too, just in case.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 00:09   #12

I'd just remove the split pins and punch out the pins in the toggles. I reckon I could have the stays disconnected in about 3 minutes. IMO cutting the running rigging (sheets etc) would be the longer part of the job.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 01:27   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What size bolt cuttersai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'd just remove the split pins and punch out the pins in the toggles. I reckon I could have the stays disconnected in about 3 minutes. IMO cutting the running rigging (sheets etc) would be the longer part of the job.
In fact, this is what we did when dismasted in 1996. We were aided by the main and staysail sheets taking almost all of the load, so that getting the clevis pins out was reasonably easy. If there is a big load on the wire it won't be as easy, but i still think it is the method of choice.

One thing that i'd change in what I did: for some reason I knocked the pins between rigging screw and chain plate out.. maybe because the chain plate made a stable thing to press against. Worked ok, but dammit, there went the rigging screws with the wire!!! How dumb was that?? In my defense, we'd been in storm conditons for several days and I was knackered, but still, what a way to dump a kilobuck overboard!

I hope you are all taking notes!

Jim
Old 23-11-2016, 04:04   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Exactly. I had a clevis pin sized properly to use as a punch and ball peen hammer stowed together and ready to go if needed.
Old 23-11-2016, 04:58   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 33

18v angle grinder with spare batteries. I've used it to cut 3/8" rigging wire, 4/0 power wire, 1" stainless tubing, and 3/8" chain all without a problem. I have an oversized battery that stays charged and carry spares which are also used with the drill motor.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, size