Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 12:38   #61

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What size bolt cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
I reckon it would be fine. I've hung from one of the davits to re-secured a RIB half full of water one-handed at midnight in a Force 10 in the Irish Sea after the RIB broke free from one of its lashings. I reckon I could have operated a 4 inch angle grinder one-handed in the same conditions far far easier, quicker and safer than any of the other tools mentioned. Speed is of the essence in such situations. A long lead and double insulation eliminates much of the electrical safety issue.
Ohhh... sorry! I hadn't realized I was talking to Superman.

jim
Old 27-11-2016, 13:14   #62

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ohhh... sorry! I hadn't realized I was talking to Superman.

jim
No need to be facetious, Jim.

Life SailFastTri, I'm more of a Clark Kent guy myself. I've tried bolt cutters and I KNOW they would be useless to me in storm conditions.

All I was pointing out is that I have experienced an emergency in such conditions and so my opinion has value. I maintain that a mains powered angle grinder is the most effective tool in such situations. You're free to disregard my opinion.

Quote:
Until you have experienced such an emergency, it is hard to understand how difficult it would be to SAFELY use a mains powered angle grinder to cut rigging from a downed mast. A different world from slicing wire o n the dock.

Jim
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 13:27   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
No protection circuit to trip when plugged directly into my (non-marine) inverter.
You are the protection circuit.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 13:50   #64

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Just Google it. They make cable cutters that are manual and ratcheting. a bit pricey but probably well spent if you end up in the position that requires cutting off your standing rigging. Bolt cutters may work fine in shackles. I can't see grinding on a tossing deck. That is about as good as dragging out the torch.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 13:53   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
No need to be facetious, Jim.

Life SailFastTri, I'm more of a Clark Kent guy myself. I've tried bolt cutters and I KNOW they would be useless to me in storm conditions.

All I was pointing out is that I have experienced an emergency in such conditions and so my opinion has value. I maintain that a mains powered angle grinder is the most effective tool in such situations. You're free to disregard my opinion.
OK, perhaps that was uncalled for... but really, how many of us cruisers can hang one handed from the davits at all, let alone under F10 conditions, in the dark and re-lash a swinging dinghy? If you are physically capable of this feat, then, compared to me you ARE Superman!

I remain unconvinced of the electrical safety of using mains powered tools, even "double insulated", when inundated with salt water. Besides the issue of water getting into the tool, how about the plug and socket at the junction between extension lead and tool cord? These are not typically waterproof in the slightest, and if submerged will have a virtual short circuit. I'm not an expert in electrical safety, but this operation seems to be pretty hazardous to me.

So, I agree that you have the experience of reacting to an emergency at sea, and doing so effectively. I don't see that you have had the experience of using a mains powered tool under those conditions. I still believe that this is not a good solution to the cutting away a downed rig problem.

The wire cutters that I bought for this purpose are not a good solution either, due to inadequate leverage. The method that I used when dismasted was pin removal, and it worked in that particular circumstance. I don't think it will under ALL circumstances, and I'm interested in other options.

Jim
Old 27-11-2016, 14:19   #66

Quote:
Besides the issue of water getting into the tool, how about the plug and socket at the junction between extension lead and tool cord?..

Jim
Sorry Jim, I didn't make it clear that when I bought the angle-grinder I opened it up and replaced the factory-fitted lead with one that was long enough to reach from the inverter in the battery locker to all four corners of the boat, so there is no exposed junction.

AC power is pretty safe, really. It might kill you if the power goes through your body, but in all probability you would drop the tool before it killed you. It won't kill you if your heart isn't part of the circuit, which is why many electricians keep one hand in their pocket. Hence, my reference to using it one-handed (plus my other hand would, of course, be for the boat). I've electrocuted myself many times when re-wiring four homes and I'm still here.

Chris
Old 27-11-2016, 14:49   #67

Quote:
Sorry Jim, I didn't make it clear that when I bought the angle-grinder I opened it up and replaced the factory-fitted lead with one that was long enough to reach from the inverter in the battery locker to all four corners of the boat, so there is no exposed junction.

AC power is pretty safe, really. It might kill you if the power goes through your body, but in all probability you would drop the tool before it killed you. It won't kill you if your heart isn't part of the circuit, which is why many electricians keep one hand in their pocket. Hence, my reference to using it one-handed (plus my other hand would, of course, be for the boat). I've electrocuted myself many times when re-wiring four homes and I'm still here.

Chris
Electricans work with one hand in their pockets? HA HA HA you just lost all credibility.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 15:31   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Electricans work with one hand in their pockets? HA HA HA you just lost all credibility.
Google it if you don't believe me. I used to know someone who taught electricians and that was what he taught his pupils. He was old-school, and nowadays voltage detectors are a bit more reliable, but it remains good advice.
Old 27-11-2016, 18:24   #69

Quote:
Google it if you don't believe me. I used to know someone who taught electricians and that was what he taught his pupils. He was old-school, and nowadays voltage detectors are a bit more reliable, but it remains good advice.
HA HA HA what ever man. You've been had on by who ever told you such nonsense. It's a good one though, I'll use it on the next electrical sexual intellectual I run in to. LOL
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 22:23   #70

Quote:
HA HA HA what ever man. You've been had on by who ever told you such nonsense. It's a good one though, I'll use it on the next electrical sexual intellectual I run in to. LOL
Just Google "electrician hand in pocket" and you'll see who's talking nonesense. But what should I expect from someone who can't even change the filters on his Yanmar without messing things up. HA HA HA some master mechanic!
Quote:
I've been a mechanic a long time, Master of Technology cert with H.D., it's not the first time strange unexplained crap like this has happened to me but it rubs me badly.
Old 27-11-2016, 22:45   #71
RPZ

Knipex make cable cutters that will cut 16mm wire rope. There are other manufacturers that make these with various capabilities, no doubt some that will cut even larger diameters. They are not cheap, but what's your life worth? If you are considering something you see as a significant precaution then it is probably worth paying for.

Your cheap Wally World bolt cutters will likely not cut through heavy rigging in one cut, the hard wire will deform the cutting edges of the jaws. However, a high quality euro, scandi or US manufactured item will probably do better, even if it takes a few extra snaps to fully part the wire.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 03:05   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RPZ.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 06:05   #73
RPZ

Thank you GordMay
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 21:56   #74

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

$20 cable cutters at Harbor Freight. Might be a very cheap alternative to bolt cutters and electrical grinder.

28" Cable Cutters
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, size