Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2010, 22:12   #1

Thumbs up What Make to Buy for World Cruising ?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking around at a few catamarans to buy for water sailing">blue water sailing, we will be cruising the world starting in San Diego and heading south to Tahiti and Fiji first.

While we love the look of the Robertson and Caine Leopards, we were told that this is more for one or two days chartering in easy waters like the Caribbean, and not suited for world cruising. We were given catamarans like Outremer, Atlantic, Catana, Kelsall, Maxim/Voyage for world cruising.

Firstly, what makes a catamaran suited for blue water cruising? Is it the composition, sails, construction, strength? Secondly, are we putting ourselves in danger by purchasing a Leopard for the cruising we will be doing?

Our budget is somewhere around $170k, but would like to keep it around $120k-$140k if possible. We are not looking for anything flashy, just a safe vessel that is self efficient (water maker, solar panels, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S: I just love this sight, it inspires me to live my dream too.
Living Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 22:18   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Your question is difficult to answer.

You have to decide where you are going to sail - high or low latitude - and then talk to people who have done it in different designs of catamarans.

We took our Privilege 39 on a trade wind circumnavigation, and it worked well for that purpose. Visit the blogs and search the web for people who have actually sailed somewhere offshore in the different designs, and see how things worked out. Did the voyage turn into a demolition derby?

Here are my comments about our Privilege 39 catamaran for offshore sailing.

SAILING OFFSHORE IN A PRIVILEGE 39 CATAMARAN AROUND THE WORLD.* CAPTAIN DAVE.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 23:01   #3

Thanks for the advice Dave.

Wow, I have been looking at some of videos on board "Exit Only". They are amazing.

As far as our travel plans are concerned, we would like to follow the trade winds. I don't see us going too far south, rounding South America being the furtherest.
Old 24-06-2010, 00:22   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
We have so far come from Europe to the Caribbean, through Panama Canal and are now down here in Fiji. The makes of catamaran we've seen most since leaving the Caribbean are Catana and Privilege. Given that these are both low volume makes there are an amazing number out here!

I've also seen a surprising number of Lagoon 440s. I say surprising because Lagoons are good solid boats but I personally hate the high helm position and wouldn't want to spend much time up there.

I've seen very few Leopards or Voyages or any other older South African built cats. The older ones - particularly in the price range you are talking about - typically have very little bridgedeck clearance and consequently slam even in quite small seas. Newer Leopards like the 46 are much better but way out of your price range.

Of the others on your list... Outremers are good, Atlantic way out of your price range, Kelsall I don't know.

Ones to add to your list perhaps are the U.S. built Manta - maybe out of your range but excellent boats - and Prout. Prouts have probably done more cicumnavigations than any other cat and something like the Prout 38 may be in your range.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 00:56   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Lost View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been looking around at a few catamarans to buy for blue water sailing, we will be cruising the world starting in San Diego and heading south to Tahiti and Fiji first.

While we love the look of the Robertson and Caine Leopards, we were told that this is more for one or two days chartering in easy waters like the Caribbean, and not suited for world cruising. We were given catamarans like Outremer, Atlantic, Catana, Kelsall, Maxim/Voyage for world cruising.

Firstly, what makes a catamaran suited for blue water cruising? Is it the composition, sails, construction, strength? Secondly, are we putting ourselves in danger by purchasing a Leopard for the cruising we will be doing?

Our budget is somewhere around $170k, but would like to keep it around $120k-$140k if possible. We are not looking for anything flashy, just a safe vessel that is self efficient (water maker, solar panels, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S: I just love this sight, it inspires me to live my dream too.
You're not going to find anything suitable for RTW sailing in that price range. Monohull sure, but not cats.

Go to YachtWorld and do a search at your price range ... that will give you an idea of what's available.

A R&C will do the job by the way. IMHO
Old 24-06-2010, 02:34   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Dave.

Wow, I have been looking at some of videos on board "Exit Only". They are amazing.

As far as our travel plans are concerned, we would like to follow the trade winds. I don't see us going too far south, rounding South America being the furtherest.
G'Day LL,

Reading the above quote leads me to believe that you REALY need to do some homework... if you seriously think that "rounding South America" is not "going too far South" you are nowhere near ready to start your voyaging.

In case my sarcasm isn't clear, that voyage is usually referred to as rounding Cape Horn, and is an iconic difficult passage, normally only attempted by experienced and competant sailors, and not often in smaller catamarans.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Moreton Bay, Qld, Oz
Old 24-06-2010, 06:27   #7

Yes, you are quite correct, we do need to do more homework. That is what this is part of don't you think? We are not leaving next week and are still in the beginning stages of "homework".

Now, if we can get back to the original question it would be pretty helpful, we are just trying to find out more about a safe vessel.
Old 24-06-2010, 06:29   #8

Yes, your sarcasm is clear, and honestly not appreciated.

"Sarcism is the lowest form of wit".
Old 24-06-2010, 07:08   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Yes, you are quite correct, we do need to do more homework. That is what this is part of don't you think? We are not leaving next week and are still in the beginning stages of "homework".

Now, if we can get back to the original question it would be pretty helpful, we are just trying to find out more about a safe vessel.
Quote:

Posts like these aren't going to get you far here.
Old 24-06-2010, 07:39   #10

Boat: 1991 Privilege 39"
Boat

Hi

I do think you can find a cat for your budget. We bought a 1991 39' privilege within that budget and it was very close to home to boot. Yes, it needed some work but it is a very sound boat and we plan on adding another $30K to prepare it for our cruising. Some "I wants" like a watermaker and some safety like a life raft. We have had it for a year now and plan on leaving next year. We had not planned on buying so early, but it was the boat I was looking for and it worked out great giving us time to upgrade and learn the vessel. I have been working mostly on cosmetics and making the boat more livable.

What I am mainly trying to say is leave enough in your budget for upgrades, because no matter what boat you choose, you will want to change/upgrade it.

It is good that you are looking into boats this early in the game, there is so much to learn. Also, a boat might come along any time and there are still good deals to get if you are in the right place at the right time. But also add in the cost of the time you own the boat before cruising; there is insurance (not cheap), maintenance and dock fees.

Patty
PattyHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 07:47   #11

I've seen some lagoon 380's in that price range.

If you haven't seen it yet you have to watch these videos:
YouTube - sethhynes's Channel

Documents a trip from carribean through panama, south Pacific, to Australia pretty well on a Lagoon 380. Definitely is inspiring me.

You also might want to read the Bumfuzzle blogs:
bumfuzzle | archives

Period from 2003-2007 documents their circumnavigation in a South African cat (that gave them some trouble). They caught some flack for not being as well prepared and trained as may be advisable, but they made it and had a great time.
Old 24-06-2010, 07:52   #12

Thanks guys, I will definitely look into that. Much appreciated
Old 24-06-2010, 13:43   #13

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Quote:

Ouch.

Jim makes a good point. Your initial request was for advice on a boat to take you on the relatively easy run from the West Coast to the tropical South Pacific. Casually dropping the possibility that you might also be considering doubling the greatest of the Great Capes does suggest that you haven't done your homework and makes it hard to give you good advise. I think you might do well to get a copy of Cornell's World Cruising Routes. You can use it to get a feel for conventional wisdom on sailing routes, timing and weather. It's good fun for dreaming and with a plan for the service you expect to put your boat to you'll be better able to make decisions.

Tom.
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 14:34   #14

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Liv Lo, probably it would be good to know what your current experience is in sailing and boat ownership before giving too much help that might not be pertinent to your situation.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 18:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
Liv Lo, probably it would be good to know what your current experience is in sailing and boat ownership before giving too much help that might not be pertinent to your situation.
I have been First Mate on yachts sized 60-175 foot for going on 5 years now. In the waters of Cape Town South Africa, US east and west cost, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Caribbean, Canada.

I have my 200 ton captains license, most of my miles were not done under sail, although my course was. I have a friend here in San Diego who we will be sailing with before we eventually leave for the South Pacific. But until that time comes, I will not feel comfortable until I have more miles under sail.

Again, thank you for all the help that has been sent to us.

Travel well.