Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 18:32   #16

Boat: Spirited 380 Catamaran
Re: What Mainsail Reefing Equipment Is the Best ?

While on the subject of reefing, have others had problems with the leech reefing line breaking? I have a slab reefing system with a single line attached from the boom through the leech cringle to the end of the boom and then through the boom to the winch.
If I have a reef in for a longer period of time (sevreal hours) the reef line snaps at the cringle. I have tried heavier line (14mm) but it stills happens on both the first and second reefs, just when you do not want it to happen.

Peter
spiritcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 19:29   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I question why anyone would go to the mast. It's so easy to pull the tack down with double line reefing, without a winch. I just loose the main halyard to a previously set mark for each tack, pull down the tack and set the clutch, rehoist the sail the few inches to set the luff tension. Then go to the other side of the cabin top to pull in the clew reef. Usually have to use the winch for the final foot or two especially if I'm going to the second reef because of conditions. Of course, when I had the reefing on the boom, still had to use a winch for the clew and it wasn't fun with the boom bucking and bouncing under the flogging sail.

If anyone can tell me how to post digitals to this forum, will put up slome photos of how I've set my cockpit controlled reefing.

I wonder how much fun it is to pull in a reef with single line reefing. My third reef would mean having to haul in more than 60' of line with quite a bit of that under tension. Sure it would take a lot grinding on a winch which is slooooow. Even the 2nd reef would mean tailing more than 40' of line.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 20:05   #18
Moderator Emeritus

See if this will work for posting pictures Pictures by roverhi - Photobucket
Old 22-08-2011, 20:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritcat View Post
While on the subject of reefing, have others had problems with the leech reefing line breaking? I have a slab reefing system with a single line attached from the boom through the leech cringle to the end of the boom and then through the boom to the winch.
If I have a reef in for a longer period of time (sevreal hours) the reef line snaps at the cringle. I have tried heavier line (14mm) but it stills happens on both the first and second reefs, just when you do not want it to happen.

Peter

Have you checked the reefing cringles for sharp edges? I use 8mm spectra for my reefing lines and have had no problems so far. First reef is used very frequently - probably almost as often as the full main, but the reefing lines are lasting well.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 20:25   #20
Moderator Emeritus

You must have a sharp edge on the leech cringle. We sailed over 10,000 miles, more than half with at least one reef in the main. After all that sailing, the clew reefing line was only mildly abraided, not enough for me to change the point of contact.
Old 22-08-2011, 20:33   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter

We have always used jiffy reefing, with lazy jacks. Two lines, three reefs. Both lines are at the mast as is the cleat where we secure the main halyard. Far less friction that way and we can get more purchase to downhaul the mainsail. We also have no battons which means we can reef without heading in to the wind. Yes, we have reefed in winds over 40 knots, but of course prefer reefing early.

When its time to take in a reef we find it pays to pull the mainsail almost all the way down, then haul out the clew first and secure it, then secure the reef at the tack and raise the sail again.

One thing that adds to the ease of reefing is that we have external track with claw type mainsail slides. If we give the slides a once a month spray with silicon or rub the track with a bit of beeswax, they really move easily.

By the way, quickly and easily in 40 knots of wind is relative. I.e. it's all easier for Larry who is twice as strong as me. But yes, I can and have reefed the mainsail on my own in winds to 50.
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 11:26   #22

Ahhhh.... thanks Lin! I was beginning to think I was the only one... after "I question why anyone would go to the mast. ...."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 11:35   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

Personally, I like systems that are fail-proof and ones that, should they fail, allow me to drop the sail on the deck. For this reason, I prefer in-boom to in-mast. But I must admit that I have never seen e.g. Amel in-mast fail, so here too, within one specific system, there seem to be better and worse executions.

The single line seems to always give me some amount of headache - usually failing to trim the reefed sail, jamming, or requiring excessive winch work to pull the sail down. Also - making hoisting sail a much too fussy job if any of the reef lines is not adequately pre-eased.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 17:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You must have a sharp edge on the leech cringle. We sailed over 10,000 miles, more than half with at least one reef in the main. After all that sailing, the clew reefing line was only mildly abraided, not enough for me to change the point of contact.
I have checked the cringles and no sharp edges. I have never had this happen before and cannot work out why I continue to have problems.

Peter
Old 24-08-2011, 18:17   #25

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran

Quote:
I have checked the cringles and no sharp edges. I have never had this happen before and cannot work out why I continue to have problems.

Peter
Maybe the cover on your line is very soft? I use 10mm double braid with spectra cores for my reef lines. I have chaffed a few covers badly but generally over many hundreds of hours. The expensive solution is to put blocks on the leach. But it might help to get reef lines with harder covers.

Tom.
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 08:52   #26

Quote:

Peter
What type of line are you using? I dont know if some of the hi tech lines are OK for a tight 1D bend....? In 40 years I've never had a reef line break. Something must be wrong...

Old 25-08-2011, 20:01   #27

I have never had it happen before either. I have 14 and 12mm double braid, 14 for the first reef and 12 for the second and third. Broken the first and second after they have been in use for 4 - 6 hours, but not the third as it has onl been used for a very short time.

Peter
Old 25-08-2011, 20:32   #28
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
In addition to all the other good advice above, I'd say... Add a Downhaul! Sometimes you'll get caught out and really do not want to turn into the wind to drop the main. It happened to me when the wind went from 25-30 knots to 52 knots without any visible warning. Had to run downwind with a double reefed main for about 5 minutes then, fortunately, the wind dropped to 30 knots and I was able to turn and drop the rest of the sail.

I then added a downhaul and while I've never again experienced such high winds, I'm now comforted to know that I can get the main down, whatever the wind direction, without having to turn to windward.
You're absolutely right about the downhaul. In addition if your headsail is hank on, you should have a downhaul on it also. In bad weather that jib can get blown overboard and then fill up with water. A boat sank here not too long ago when that happened. Just torpedoed right into the water from the weight of the water in the headsail.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:07   #29

Quote:
I have never had it happen before either. I have 14 and 12mm double braid, 14 for the first reef and 12 for the second and third. Broken the first and second after they have been in use for 4 - 6 hours, but not the third as it has onl been used for a very short time.

Peter
if you've broken both the 1st and 2nd... then I would say your line is no good for that application. I always used 3/8" dacron plain old yacht braid for that. the dead end of the leech line is not also at the boom end is it? I prefer both leech lines to be just aft of where the cringle meets the boom... rather than clear back at the aft end. otherwise it's pulling too much aft and not enough down, causing you to over tighten and stretch the sail.

Old 26-08-2011, 09:09   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
You're absolutely right about the downhaul. In addition if your headsail is hank on, you should have a downhaul on it also. In bad weather that jib can get blown overboard and then fill up with water. A boat sank here not too long ago when that happened. Just torpedoed right into the water from the weight of the water in the headsail.
does he not have a line through the tack cringles? just using hooks?

Tags
equipment, mainsail