Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 16:54   #46

Boat: too many
Re: What is Your Happy Medium Cat by Comparison for a Couple?

ArtifexStonemas, The Miss entered cruising on a large (and fast) scale, the Cantana is a serious performance cruiser. Your mentioned budget of $300K won't make the splash of The Miss's Cantana purchase, but it is in the range to make a counter on a used Chris White Atlantic series. I think most on the forum would agree, a White designed cat or tri is one of the top of performance cruisers.

Chris White Designs Multihull Sailboats High Performance Cruising Yachts - Catamaran and Trimaran
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 17:19   #47

Boat: Catana 42

Hi Deck Officer
Chris White was a serious contender for us as well.
Your absolutely right that we have jumped in high and to quality. In the end though we decided to swap a nice home we owned for a nice boat, and you only live once. Our budget was always $500 but in the end we just went up. This isn't for all, and there were some seriously nice boats in the $300 range.
Wasn't it a Chris White design the boat from BBC show "my families crazy gap year"

The Miss

Cheers The Miss
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 17:24   #48

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Hi Deck Officer
Your absolutely right that we have jumped in high and to quality. In the end though we decided to swap a nice home we owned for a nice boat, and you only live once. Our budget was always $500 but in the end we just went up. This isn't for all, and there were some seriously nice boats in the $300 range.
Wasn't it a Chris White design the boat from BBC show "my families crazy gap year"

The Miss

Cheers The Miss
I would like a list of the ones you passed up for 300K.

Assuming advertised price.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:28   #49

Quote:
Hi Deck Officer

The Miss

Cheers The Miss
I missed that BBC show but I'll try and find it on You Tube. If it had a forward cockpit then chances are excellent it was a CW design. I visited your blog, very good design. I've only read your review of the Catana and the secret mattress test during a test sail (that might get others clicking on your link), but I like your writing style and as time permits, will read more. I'll sure be checking it out next summer when she splashes.
Old 19-09-2013, 17:36   #50

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I missed that BBC show but I'll try and find it on You Tube. If it had a forward cockpit then chances are excellent it was a CW design. I visited your blog, very good design. I've only read your review of the Catana and the secret mattress test during a test sail (that might get others clicking on your link), but I like your writing style and as time permits, will read more. I'll sure be checking it out next summer when she splashes.
On my way.............
Old 19-09-2013, 17:38   #51

Thanks for the kind words re site. I have always promised to document the journey and the fact that you like my writing style is the highlight of my week - seriously!

Cheers the Miss
Old 19-09-2013, 17:47   #52

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words re site. I have always promised to document the journey and the fact that you like my writing style is the highlight of my week - seriously!

Cheers the Miss
My pleasure. I just enjoyed the fact that your in a realm that is new to you, and your learning on a fast curve.

Besides, it isn't everyday someone new shows up on CF and chooses a Catana for cruising.

To the OP, this is what I meant by your budget being within a counter on an Atlantic 42.
http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Ch...c-42/118499931
Old 19-09-2013, 19:33   #53
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Thanks D & D
We are very much looking forward to the next phase...
Our plan is to start in Turkey which is almost as far away from home as you can get - perfect starting point!

I did go to your site I was impressed with shark shield combo - didn't know there was such a thing. Great idea.

I too have started a website - it is my escape point and folly, a place to gather all information about the boat itself, the process and the journey. I am hoping to start gathering interviews from others involved in the ocean. Via Kiss the Fish.
Hope you and others can visit and send me a kiss
That all sounds great Miss!

Our voyage (or at least our voyage with this vessel) also started a long way from home, in Sardinia, when we picked up CatNirvana and set off on our way back to OZ. That original voyage was brilliant, but CatNirvana's log now continues to happily slip many more sea miles under her hulls, including your beautiful Tasmania last year and now along the Queensland coast.

Your website is impressive. We admit, however, to being a bit overwhelmed by the sheer extent of the 'Kiss The Fish' interview questions! Anyway, we signed up and we'll look forward to hearing of your voyage, although we'd encourage you to use CF as well as there's a great community of cruisers here, all of whom appreciate (and can often contribute to) your adventures.

The Shark Shield is an amazing piece of equipment. Peace of mind in unknown waters is priceless. PM us if you're interested in purchasing one (or any of our other cruising in comfort 'stuff'?) to put on board Miss Catana and we'll see what we can do for 'special' pricing for a new sailor.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 21:17   #54

Boat: between boats

Great boat choice Miss!

The Captains sailing desires are showing there and I know you will be very happy with her (we have a Catana 42 by another name and are currently doing exactly what you plan though only made it as far a Greece this year)

How are you planning to start in Turkey though since you will receive the boat in Canet en Roussillon, France?

You are doing the right thing with a standard spec also - much more cost effective to add extras later in cheaper places than Canet.

Barra
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 22:01   #55

Hi Barra,

It is very exciting to hear from another 42 owner.
As part of the negotiated deal with the Catana Yard we agreed to take delivery of the new boat in June 2014 and have to have her in Turkey for end of August boat show in Bodrum.

So unless we finish work 6 months earlier than anticipated (which at this stage is unlikely) we will need to find a delivery crew to take the Miss from France Med side (yard to deliver to this point) to Turkey. If this happens it will be the hardest month for my captain not to be aboard for delivery. However we have been planning this trip for the past 25 years so an additional 6 months will be bearable.

We have been told that Turkey is a good place to fit out your boat. Not sure if this is correct we have much to look into. The additional features we have gone seemed to go hand in hand with the build such as dual engine controls. We have been told we need to do the safety package in France so sometime soon we will start research into this process and needs vs prudence until we are there.

I am new to Cruisers Forum and I feel like I have hijacked the question - sorry. If you want me to stop this and go away please let me know....

That aside I am very pleased to be part of the discussion and have been made so welcome, it actually makes the process even more exciting.
Many thanks
the Miss
Old 19-09-2013, 22:34   #56

Dont worry too much about the hijacking - this thread and many others go way off track pretty regularly and the OP can always bring it back if they feel the need.

Friends have refitted their new (to them) Catana 431 in Marmaris and were pretty happy with the work done and the price (after getting quotes in Canet first that were 2 to 3 times more). As I said we only made it to Greece this year (in part due to some horrendous haul out quotes coming from Turkey vs Greece) so cant tell you first hand yet.

Have you considered the port for'ard berth as an office fit out for all your "geek stuff" (yes ive had a quick look at your blog - great site!) Ive seen that done and it works well (though ours is the laundry)

Also I would recommend yanmars in the 30 hp version due to better sail drives. Im finding 30hp is a little underpowered in the often windless Med but then I remind myself these are sailing cats and we will be in the trades next year. Maybe look into 40 hp volvos if you plan to spend more than one summer there?

Happy to give my (limited) wisdom on anything else you arent sure about.
Old 19-09-2013, 22:42   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
That all sounds great Miss!

Your website is impressive. We admit, however, to being a bit overwhelmed by the sheer extent of the 'Kiss The Fish' interview questions! Anyway, we signed up and we'll look forward to hearing of your voyage, although we'd encourage you to use CF as well as there's a great community of cruisers here, all of whom appreciate (and can often contribute to) your adventures.

The Shark Shield is an amazing piece of equipment. Peace of mind in unknown waters is priceless. PM us if you're interested in purchasing one (or any of our other cruising in comfort 'stuff'?) to put on board Miss Catana and we'll see what we can do for 'special' pricing for a new sailor.
Hi there,
my site is a work in progress and only this past few days have I really shared with anyone other than my nearest and dearest (It has been a little scary really....) However as a boring office clerk by day I am a crazy geek by night so I have a great deal of fun designing sites and writing my thoughts down.

Re the kissing of fish - this is a work in progress. May be I have the must have questions everyone should answer such which three people from any time would you invite to dinner if you could, to a choice of questions for each group. I will keep working on this and think about it some more.

Re Shark Shield I will show the Captain. Q. So if I'm in the water wearing that little black thing it keeps the sharks away. Have I got that right. REALLY!

Cheers the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 19-09-2013, 22:59   #58

Quote:

Re Shark Shield I will show the Captain. Q. So if I'm in the water wearing that little black thing it keeps the sharks away. Have I got that right. REALLY!

Cheers the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Dont worry about a "shark shield" in the med - they have all been eaten long ago. Its one of the best things about the place - you can jump in anywhere even 100 miles offshore and not worry one bit!
Old 19-09-2013, 23:14   #59

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

D & D,
Where a bouts are you now on the Qld coast? Nowhere near Innisfail? Hope you're enjoying the long awaited Northerlies for the trip south like a lot of others.

Back on thread .... we're finding that our Lagoon 380 is working out to be just about perfect for us. We are not large people & find that Seabreeze provides plenty of space for us & is so easy to sail short handed. Of course a larger cat would have a better motion in some conditions, be faster in some, have more space to take more junk, etc.

Then again we can easily handle the sails on our own (rigged & not rigged), we can fit into most standard TravelLifts, we only get charged for 12 metre berths, the smaller motors drink less diesel, don't need as much polish or antifoul on the hulls : ) etc.

Having lived on a Tasman 22' in Sydney, way back when I went back to Uni with our new born son for 12 months .... our Lagoon 380 is like a mansion!
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 23:31   #60
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
D & D,
Where a bouts are you now on the Qld coast? Nowhere near Innisfail? Hope you're enjoying the long awaited Northerlies for the trip south like a lot of others.
Currently anchored on Platypus Bay off Arch Cliff, Fraser Island...and yes, taking advantage of any northerlies as we are heading south.

Glad you're enjoying your L380, a well designed vessel...and hugely popular too, with good reasons. A friend of ours sailed/delivered one across the North Atlantic and ended up caught in a Force 10 Storm; he now sings the L380's praises! We hope, however, that you will find only fair winds and following seas on yours.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote