Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 23:37   #61
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: What is Your Happy Medium Cat by Comparison for a Couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Hi there,
my site is a work in progress and only this past few days have I really shared with anyone other than my nearest and dearest (It has been a little scary really....) However as a boring office clerk by day I am a crazy geek by night so I have a great deal of fun designing sites and writing my thoughts down.
You're doing a great job! What we know about setting up a website could be written on the head of a pin...well, that may be perhaps unkind toward the Admiral's (much greater than the Captain's!) cyber skills, but anyway your site looks good.

Quote:
Re Shark Shield I will show the Captain. Q. So if I'm in the water wearing that little black thing it keeps the sharks away. Have I got that right. REALLY!
Yes, really...you got that right.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 23:43   #62

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Thanks D & D
We are very much looking forward to the next phase...
Our plan is to start in Turkey which is almost as far away from home as you can get - perfect starting point!

I did go to your site I was impressed with shark shield combo - didn't know there was such a thing. Great idea.

I too have started a website - it is my escape point and folly, a place to gather all information about the boat itself, the process and the journey. I am hoping to start gathering interviews from others involved in the ocean. Via Kiss the Fish.
Hope you and others can visit and send me a kiss

Cheers
the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Congratulations on your choice of vessel.

You certainly will not need a shark shield in the Med and I also suspect not in most places. Spearfishing on the GBR perhaps but most of us have survived without one.

Cheers.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 00:35   #63
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
You certainly will not need a shark shield in the Med and I also suspect not in most places. Spearfishing on the GBR perhaps but most of us have survived without one.
Like most things, it's a matter of personal choice. We admit the Captain here (a keen swimmer) is certainly one of the 'most' who have happily survived up to now. On the other hand, there were 22 shark-human encounters in OZ during calendar 2012, 2 fatalities. In fact, the GBR is nowhere near as 'hot' as WA. In WA, there were 3 fatal attacks in Sept 2013 alone. We could go on with figures worldwide, including the Med, but that'd be abusing this thread. In our view there is a very reasonable case for the deterrent when spending long times in the water, e.g. snorkeling or distance swimming...and the same can be said for children swimming; the latter perhaps more for the parents' peace of mind. So we admit the risk of shark attack is low, but we all insure against lo-probability outcomes all the time...and how would any of us feel in hindsight about the deterrent after an attack?
Old 20-09-2013, 05:42   #64

Re: What is your happy medium cat by comparison for a couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Sounds like misunderstandings all 'round, including our earlier post that you feel is now "corrected" and our mentioning downwind performance "to justify" our choice of the L440.

We very much regret our contribution to the misunderstanding(s).

Cheers and happy sailing to you also!
In 50 years of sailboat cruising the only place I have forund "flat seas" in 25kn (30mph) winds are in rivers!!! LOL you dreamer you!!lol
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 19:28   #65
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: What is your happy medium cat by comparison for a couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
In 50 years of sailboat cruising the only place I have forund "flat seas" in 25kn (30mph) winds are in rivers!!! LOL you dreamer you!!lol
OUCH!! That sure sounds like a slap!? Ah well, we will be flattered by being called dreamers.

In any event, what we actually said was "relatively flat seas"...and that added word was important. What we would suggest might be considered 'relatively flat seas' would be ~1m or no more than 2m waves. As for when such conditions (25kn wind and seas 1-2m) might arise, they're certainly not rare along the OZ east coast when the wind's anywhere from the west, i.e. where there's minimal fetch...or, similarly, along Platypus Bay off Fraser Island (where we are at the moment) with a big sou'easter...sweet.

It's not common, for sure, but it definitely happens...and even to us, with far less than 50 years of cruising!

Back to our dreaming now...
Old 20-09-2013, 22:06   #66

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Like most things, it's a matter of personal choice. We admit the Captain here (a keen swimmer) is certainly one of the 'most' who have happily survived up to now. On the other hand, there were 22 shark-human encounters in OZ during calendar 2012, 2 fatalities. In fact, the GBR is nowhere near as 'hot' as WA. In WA, there were 3 fatal attacks in Sept 2013 alone. We could go on with figures worldwide, including the Med, but that'd be abusing this thread. In our view there is a very reasonable case for the deterrent when spending long times in the water, e.g. snorkeling or distance swimming...and the same can be said for children swimming; the latter perhaps more for the parents' peace of mind. So we admit the risk of shark attack is low, but we all insure against lo-probability outcomes all the time...and how would any of us feel in hindsight about the deterrent after an attack?
Spearfishing on GBR one will have shark-human encounters every day. We mostly rely that they prefer to eat fish and if not spearfishing are not a threat. Don't worry about them. Great Whites in SA/WA (where the fatalities occurred) and where chumming for fish is practiced are another matter. Fair enough there.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 07:46   #67

OFF TOPIC WARNING
Quote:
(MED:...) So we admit the risk of shark attack is low, but we all insure against lo-probability outcomes all the time...and how would any of us feel in hindsight about the deterrent after an attack?
Yes we would feel bad but:
In the whole of the Mediterranean Sea which of course includes the Adriatic and Tyrrhenian Seas:
In the past 150 years up to 2011, the International Shark Database counts 60+ attacks, 36 shark deaths ...

How many Billions of swimmers have been in the water during all that time?
Seriously: I consider myself lucky to actually have seen sharks in the MED (...diving )

...eating (spoilt) fish must have cost a million of lives more <ahem>do I hear 'shark fins'
vRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 15:21   #68
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRUN View Post
OFF TOPIC WARNING

Yes we would feel bad but:
In the whole of the Mediterranean Sea which of course includes the Adriatic and Tyrrhenian Seas:
In the past 150 years up to 2011, the International Shark Database counts 60+ attacks, 36 shark deaths ...

How many Billions of swimmers have been in the water during all that time?
Seriously: I consider myself lucky to actually have seen sharks in the MED (...diving )

...eating (spoilt) fish must have cost a million of lives more <ahem>do I hear 'shark fins'
Old 24-09-2013, 12:23   #69

Boat: Atlantic 42 GRACE

My wife and I are 60+. We have sailed our Atlantic 42 from
N Ca to Maine and back. We met may other catamarans along
the way and I honestly feel the A 42 is the best all around
Catamaran. I suggest you check chriswhitedesigns.com
Hope this a bit of help in your decision. Jim
jkerrigan7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 13:38   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkerrigan7373 View Post
Jim why not show your You Tube video of Grace:
vRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 14:44   #71

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Never seen the inside of an Atlantic.

It appears that at the inside control station one can see very little to one's left without stepping back and left or leaning far forward.

??
Old 25-09-2013, 03:51   #72

Boat: Catana 42

Hi There,

Since we have been in the conversation a little I thought I would post a show and tell of the Catana demo boat we had a look around. Also a 42 and a size we both thought was a great size for our needs.

Preview of Catana 42 - YouTube

Cheers
the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 05:19   #73

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkerrigan7373 View Post
I enjoyed your video tour of Grace, a beautiful, well equipped, performance cruising Cat.
That she will sail well, fast, and deliver you safely wherever you wish to go... I have no doubt, but I am struck by the radical differences (and compromises) between your boat and ours.
My wife and I spend "most" of our time on deck (in the back deck,cockpit area primarily) and only are inside for sleeping, cooking and when it is just plainly uncomfortable to be outside.
The salon area and interior of our boat is very comfortable and beautifully finished to be sure ( as remarked by everyone that sees it), but in our cruising travels in tropical climates or warm seasons... we just love to be outdoors.
Your design would just plainly not work for us and "many" others I suspect but would satisfy "many" others.

ALL boats are compromises...

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 18:54   #74

Boat: Atlantic 42 GRACE

Hey Bob
We too love outdoors, when we are at anchor the
breeze is usually on the nose. This blows through
the covered cockpit then through the sallon/
pilot house and on out the 6 pilot house hatches.
It is really quite comfortable. We have hosted
10-12 guests at a time. One time in Isla de las
Pearlas,Panama we had 2 German, 2 Italian, 2 French, 1 Russian
and 1 Ukrainian guests. All of us hade some English
so it was great. Anyway, in tropical temps it's good
to have a breeze through the boat.
Thanks for viewing the video by my
friend Todd. Jim
jkerrigan7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 20:20   #75

Boat: Catana 471

Hi Jim
I have no doubt that you have excellent flowthru ventilation thru the boat with all the opening hatches available to you and sitting nose to the wind on anchor..... but where do you sit outside?
From the video tour I see nowhere and I guess you have hosted 10-12 guests inside the salon area which looks quite comfortable.
This is fundamentally different from virtually every other Cat that is out there cruising, it would be a total dealbreaker for my wife and I as I have outlined above.
I still think you have a great boat.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote