Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 19:29   #91

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: What is the Smallest Multihull You Can Take Blue Water Cruising?

The Catana 582 "Mariah" is for sale. This was the boat in the vid on post 46. I just thought you guys might like to take a more detailed look. Sorry for the thread drift but these things happen.
Catamaran 2003 Catana 582 Catamaran For Sale

I do like the way Phil Berman does his listings on his website. You can download the pics in high res and save on your puter. Very cool. Nobody else does it this way.
Old 12-05-2012, 20:00   #92

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: what is the smallest multihull you can take blue water cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It takes a relatively big multi to make 10+ kts powersailing. I agree a Hobbie may sail at 10+knots but I am not sure every Lagoon will. How big does she need to be? 45+ feet perhaps? Calculators & Conversions
Quite, that scale shows you need a MIN of 45ft to do 10 kts. My 30ft Cat' will do 6kts under engines flat out and i've seen 8 or 9 in a good force 6-7 tailwind but that's the max hull speed. At this end of the size scale, youre trading speed for layout, stability and comfort to justify having a Cat'. I could have a 40ft mono that's faster and i'd still pay the same in most marinas as well but speed was not my concern.

It seems a bit odd therefore to be recommending 'no standing room', etc. as this takes away the main reason for buying a Cat' in this size range, comfort. Someone who doesn't mind not having hstanding headroom isn't going to mind a smaller cockpit and a bit of healing either so may as well pick up a 40-45ft mono for the same money and at least get there faster with the bonus of standing headroom in the saloon as well!
Old 13-05-2012, 00:25   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Quite, that scale shows you need a MIN of 45ft to do 10 kts. My 30ft Cat' will do 6kts under engines flat out and i've seen 8 or 9 in a good force 6-7 tailwind but that's the max hull speed. At this end of the size scale, youre trading speed for layout, stability and comfort to justify having a Cat'. I could have a 40ft mono that's faster and i'd still pay the same in most marinas as well but speed was not my concern.

It seems a bit odd therefore to be recommending 'no standing room', etc. as this takes away the main reason for buying a Cat' in this size range, comfort. Someone who doesn't mind not having hstanding headroom isn't going to mind a smaller cockpit and a bit of healing either so may as well pick up a 40-45ft mono for the same money and at least get there faster with the bonus of standing headroom in the saloon as well!
The hull 'speed limit' doesn't apply to boats with LWL:BWL ratios higher than about 8:1.

We're 44 feet, but have hit 18 knots in flat water - not surfing. Regularly do 12 - 15 knots. A sister ship averaged a tad under 10 knots on a 1000 mile passage, and has done over 240 miles in 24 hours.

Seawind 24's can sail at well over 10 knots in the right conditions.

Not all cat's are fast, not all are slow either.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 00:26   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post

Couldn't agree more but didn't bring it up as the thread is called "What is the Smallest Multihull You Can Take Blue Water Cruising? " And would be called a thread drifter.

Also what is standing room? For me it's 6'4" but for a short person that maybe 5'5" or less, so a 40' Outremer would be out of the question for me but if the owner was smaller I'm sure would be fine.

I think if it's much wiser to look at what you can afford. Under $100,000 I would go for a Centre cockpit mono over $100,000 maybe could start looking at some cats.

So hard to say as if you are over 6' 250 pounds a 46' cat seems small. Hard to shower etc.

Also where you live. I guess in Florida a 46' cat is kind of starting range but where I am it would be the biggest in the marina. If south of France mooring fees are crazy and if not impossible.

Too many variables to give a correct answer. Depends on this persons requirements.

Fun to discuss nonetheless.
Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 03:41   #95

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

My 1978 Prout Quest 31' works for me. Not the fastest cat, but safe ,easy to singlehand and enough room for guests or crew when needed or wanted.
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 09:01   #96

My Lagoon 42 hit 12+ knots several times. 8 was very common.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 10:43   #97

I'll bet that Outremer 40 will almost double the theorticle hull speed of 10 knots. Other boats too but mostly customs. I think that tool is for monos.
Old 13-05-2012, 13:04   #98

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I'll bet that Outremer 40 will almost double the theorticle hull speed of 10 knots. Other boats too but mostly customs. I think that tool is for monos.
What will you bet?

I remember the same trick in Star Trek, Episode 2534: someone pushes the wrong combination of buttons and the Enterprise starts flying at twice the light speed.

ANY boat will easily beat twice her hull speed given proper jet engines.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 13:53   #99

Everyone that has a boat with an SA/D of 30.14 raise their hands. That's what the Outremer 40 light has. You are not going to be a speed demon every minute of every day but it's nice having it there.
Old 13-05-2012, 14:26   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What will you bet?

I remember the same trick in Star Trek, Episode 2534: someone pushes the wrong combination of buttons and the Enterprise starts flying at twice the light speed.

ANY boat will easily beat twice her hull speed given proper jet engines.

Cheers,
b.
Here's a (very, it was a still camera with not much memory) short video I took on a 38 footer at 16 knots. Note: no jet engines.

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 14:34   #101

Yes. Very good SA/D. When the owners can keep her light, she will definitely be one of the boats that can sail the upper ranges of their potential. I would risk the guess that 200 can be had on a reach.

Definitely, one of the dream boats for the coconut milk run type of sailing, provided you find a way to trick the other fellas into 'last at the bar pays' more than once ;-)

Again, not really 'the smallest multi-hull ...' as per OP.

b.
Old 13-05-2012, 15:07   #102

The biggest complaint with the old Outie line was the spartan accomodations. They have pretty slim hulls so there's just not much room in there. You could compare it to a 27' to 30' mono. Yeah, you can cruise but you aren't gonna be real comfy compared to an L400. So to answer the OP the Out 40 is a small multi (inside) that you can take blue water cruising.
Fun sparring with you Barnakiel and good video 44cc. Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old 13-05-2012, 15:07   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Here's a (very, it was a still camera with not much memory) short video I took on a 38 footer at 16 knots. Note: no jet engines.(...)
You implying this design can sail 380 Nm a day in open ocean conditions?

Or rather explaining why you took a momentary speed on this video?

How many miles a day will this boat sail in 20-22 kts and fully built ocean swells?

AGAIN: not 'the smallest multi', see this thread's title.

Multihugs,
b.
Old 13-05-2012, 15:22   #104

Banghead!

Small INSIDE???

Now you are talking ;-)

Seriously. Yes, they are spartan. All fast boats I have sailed this far were spartan, or very big, or both.

b.
Old 13-05-2012, 15:23   #105

Outremer 45 at 22.4 Knots!

Tags
cruising, multihull, water