Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 13:48   #1
Lt.

What is the Range of Your Boat Under Power?

What is the range of your boat under power, and only power?

Also, would it be possible to conver a sailing cat to a power cat? I wonder this because I'd assume that it would give me better fuel economy, but I'd stay with a caterman which I like.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 14:48   #2

Re: WHat is the range of your boat under power?

Our range depends a lot on how fast we want to motor. (And obviously, how much fuel we carry.) In calm conditions, at our most economical speed on one engine, we can do around 2.5 miles per litre. But that's at around 5 knots. Motoring at 8 knots (both engines) we're using 5 litres per hour.

To convert a sailing cat to a power cat - start the engines. Most cat's motor pretty well, and economically.

Removing the rig will reduce weight and windage, but better IMO to just remove the boom, and keep the headsail there on a furler. On days where you have a nice following breeze ,(or really, anything but a headwind) it's very easy to unfurl a headsail and shut down one or both motors.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 15:03   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh your off the ferro cat now ?? you are getting a little old with the continued questions that really don't have any one answer!!
Old 11-05-2012, 15:09   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Or theres a more detailed reply here Let me google that for you
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 05:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

****Quote Removed by Staff****

I am fairly new to this forum and I find your comments really Far Out. I thought we had the freedom to ask whatever we wanted to without being chastised. I noticed you keep using the word "we" so am I to assume many many folks on here object to this? If your are a little tired of trying to help someone out- DON"T!!!. I don't know who you are but I assumed that no one here is really obligated to reply to a post. If it is your job to answer every post maybe whoever appointed you as forum cop should find someone who is a little more diplomatic.
Call me old fashioned but if I don't like a post, I don't reply. If you don't like this post, just turn your head, and maybe get a life while you are at it.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 06:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post

Also, would it be possible to conver a sailing cat to a power cat? I wonder this because I'd assume that it would give me better fuel economy, but I'd stay with a caterman which I like.
Keep in mind that I am not a Cat owner so what I say is not to be taken as gospel. There are only a few pluses I can come up with in favor of a Cat. One is stability, another is good fuel economy and thirdly, they can be beached.
Now for the other side of the coin: depending on the size, there wont be much room inside. When you try to find a slip, first off, you might need to pay for two slips (double wide) and thats only if it is available. For the actual living space, you will be small inside and you will still be paying for a slip by the length so not getting your money's worth there.
It would be easier to help if you actually fill out a profile so people can get a better idea of what your intentions are and your sailing area. Knowing your rough budget and what and where you want to be makes answering a lot easier and we can get a little more specific.
I think it is a very interesting question.
Old 20-05-2012, 06:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Or theres a more detailed reply here Let me google that for you
Now that is wayyyyyyyyyyy too cool.
Old 20-05-2012, 06:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Keep in mind that I am not a Cat owner so what I say is not to be taken as gospel. There are only a few pluses I can come up with in favor of a Cat. One is stability, another is good fuel economy and thirdly, they can be beached.
Now for the other side of the coin: depending on the size, there wont be much room inside. When you try to find a slip, first off, you might need to pay for two slips (double wide) and thats only if it is available. For the actual living space, you will be small inside and you will still be paying for a slip by the length so not getting your money's worth there.
It would be easier to help if you actually fill out a profile so people can get a better idea of what your intentions are and your sailing area. Knowing your rough budget and what and where you want to be makes answering a lot easier and we can get a little more specific.
I think it is a very interesting question.
Suggest you get aboard a 39 foot cruising catamaran and compare the room to your boat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 06:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Suggest you get aboard a 39 foot cruising catamaran and compare the room to your boat.
I know that some models can get quite large, however, I have no idea what size range or budget the OP is talking about. That is why I suggested he post more details or put it in his profile. Oftentimes when you see a post like this it is usually for a smaller, older model.
Old 20-05-2012, 15:27   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

If you want a power cat then buy one. None of these in this size range have the capacity to enable an ocean crossing. You are going to have to get a bigger boat and spend bigger bucks.
Old 20-05-2012, 21:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.

We can get about 750 to 800 miles with motors alone on our 44 foot sailing cat, but why would you choose to do it with all that noise, smell, expense and poor motion?
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 02:26   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto View Post
..........why would you choose to do it with all that..........poor motion?
I have never been on a Cat before. I didn't realize that they had a poor motion. I was under the impression that they were smooth sailing.
Old 21-05-2012, 02:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B

I have never been on a Cat before. I didn't realize that they had a poor motion. I was under the impression that they were smooth sailing.
So you do want to sail??
A sail will steady the boat. Mono or multi.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 03:41   #14

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Most smaller boats offshore under power alone have poor motion Sails do steady and help balance the vessel. They also provide a pretty good source of locomotion. Most power cats have a minimal few hundred mile range burn lots of fuel as they are designed to go fast. Our cat has a hull speed if 8 kts. Or so and with a 75 gal fuel tank we have over a 600 mile range at 5-6 kts. Very dependent on winds n currents too. Throw the sails up this can double to triple our range or even make it
unlimited.
You would never want to plan a trip and hope you just make it on motor. If the winds and currents are against you it would be very easy to run out of fuel.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 03:47   #15

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
At 4.2 knots using 1 engine we can get 1436 nm from our cat burning 1.9 litres an hour.
Taken from www.twixter.us
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote