Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2014, 07:28   #1

What is the "Hattaras" of catamarans?

Whenever you talk about motor yachts - especially older ones - the general concensus is that a Hattaras is the best boat in terms of workmanship, value, value retention, etc. It appears to be the gold standard in the motor yacht world.

I'm looking to get a boat that I can liveaboard on by myself, and am looking to find a catamaran that would fit the "Hattaras gold standard" of catamarans.

Someone posted a great analogy in another thread about how "a well-built older home is better than a newer-built one that is poorly built" and that really resonated with me.

I'm looking in the $125k price range (but I can go as high as $200k if the right one comes along) and 35'-45' size range. My purpose would be for cruising (I live in Florida), and would also like to go to the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, as well as the rest of the Eastern/Southern Caribbean.

Thanks.

JP
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 08:12   #2

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: What is the "Hattaras" of catamarans?

Privilège
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 08:31   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: What is the "Hattaras" of catamarans?

The older Lagoon TPI built boats were said to have a yacht grade interior. There was a 42', 37' and 35'. The infused vinylester hull construction was an industry leading construction technique at the time. Like many older models they have basically bottomed out in value. The 42's are around $150k with the others a bit less.

The Privileges were built to yacht grade standards but I am not sure one could label them as the Hatteras of cats. At least no more so then the other brands.

Tags
catamaran