Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 18:09   #1
cruiser

What is history of Dean Boats & Xquisite Catamarans?

Hi all--

I'm in the market for a largish Catamaran in a few years, and have been researching. I love the Xquisite X5. I was looking at used boats on their site and saw they are brokering a Dean 5000 from 2012. (The first X5 was 2016 or therabouts.)

https://xquisiteyachts.com/about-us/brokerage

It even has "Xquisite Yachts" printed on the sail cover, and it looks a whole lot like an X5, interior layout exterior, arches, windows, everything. Looks like the X5 is a Dean 5000 with some slight variations. It is clear the X5 has been changing from hull to hull as they make improvements.

Elsewhere, someone claiming to be the owner of the boatyard that makes the X5 (Phoenix Marine? in South Africa) claimed to own the design and molds for the X5.

So, here's what I'm getting when I fill in the blanks with speculation:
Dean had some production issues, and went under sometime before 2013. The boat maker owned or gained the rights to the design, possibly as a settlement. Xquisite Yachts seems to be a Florida company that is contracting with them, and selling the boats and updating them over time. Like I said this is my guess as to what happened from what I saw, but I could be wrong.

I'd love to know the history, not from a gossip perspective, but from an engineering, production and reliability perspective.

As a new company, they are slowly ramping up production and don't have much history... but if their lineage goes back over a decade as it appears given that the Dean 5000 looks just like an X5-- maybe there's knowledge out there.

Is the Dean 5000 a good design? Do you know who the people are behind Xquisite? Anything for a potential buyer to watch out for?

I'm trying to caveat emptor here.

I would be buying it for a full time liveaboard, sail offshore coastal and possible future ocean crossing. Plan to spend all my time travelling, and looking for the right platform for it.
thirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:34   #2
cruiser

Re: What is history of Dean Boats & Xquisite Catamarans?

Found a little bit of info here: https://xquisiteyachts.com/x5-standard/features?223
Old 06-02-2019, 04:13   #3
cruiser

Seems I can't edit posts after awhile. So, I found this which is starting to connect the dots.

Ok, I can't paste the URL which is another forum. I guess this forum thinks its a competitor.

Google "From Dean to Dream"
Old 06-02-2019, 08:20   #4

There are several YouTube videos out there which review the X-5 and a very thorough walk-thru by Cruising Off Duty and also Wiley Sharp of Dennison Yachts. Also, you should reach out to Tamas Hamor, who is currently in Miami preparing for the boat show">Miami Boat Show. I believe Hull #7 (or maybe #8) will be on display in Miami. He can give you the low down on the Dean/Xquisite relationship.
DeckTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:52   #5

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Try and get to Miami and then go and have a look at the X5 and also the Knysna Catamarans 500SE .... which will also be at the boat show.
Then look at the package of each and the price
Both are good liveaboards. Then work out which appeals more
Knysna are onto boat #91 at present and are also launch a 55 footer later this year.

You are correct ...... Phoenix Marine own the product facility for the X5 (the X5 is the brand name of Tamas) Much like the earlier set up of Antares.

Good luck and enjoy the research
PM me if you want more info
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:11   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Is RPM57 aligned with Dean/Exqusite. First post and it's on this thread?
Old 06-02-2019, 15:15   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM57 View Post
There are several YouTube videos out there which review the X-5 and a very thorough walk-thru by Cruising Off Duty and also Wiley Sharp of Dennison Yachts. Also, you should reach out to Tamas Hamor, who is currently in Miami preparing for the Miami Boat Show. I believe Hull #7 (or maybe #8) will be on display in Miami. He can give you the low down on the Dean/Xquisite relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
Try and get to Miami and then go and have a look at the X5 and also the Knysna Catamarans 500SE .... which will also be at the boat show.
Thanks. Cruising Off Duty is where I first heard of the Maverick and the X5, and came to understand there was a cat industry in South Africa. (I thought it was just france and asia.) And I've been doing a deep dive in the history of the companies in South Africa, which is what prompted me to make this thread.

I intend to be in Miami for all 5 days of the show, and will look at every multi-hull at the show, and particularly the X5, etc. I have a bunch of questions I can ask, but I'm expecting it to be a madhouse and not counting on getting a chance to talk to Tamas etc.

I can't yet say I'm serious about buying yet, because its planned for a couple years off, and I'm still researching the industry. I tend to do a pretty deep dive when it comes to large purchases like this, but its only been the past couple months that I've considered buying a boat again. When I sold mine I said to myself "never own boats, just rent them." Apparently I didn't learn the lesson!
Old 06-02-2019, 18:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Is RPM57 aligned with Dean/Exqusite. First post and it's on this thread?
No affiliation with Xquisite. I am however the owner of a yacht currently in production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirds View Post
Thanks. Cruising Off Duty is where I first heard of the Maverick and the X5, and came to understand there was a cat industry in South Africa. (I thought it was just france and asia.) And I've been doing a deep dive in the history of the companies in South Africa, which is what prompted me to make this thread.

I intend to be in Miami for all 5 days of the show, and will look at every multi-hull at the show, and particularly the X5, etc. I have a bunch of questions I can ask, but I'm expecting it to be a madhouse and not counting on getting a chance to talk to Tamas etc.

I can't yet say I'm serious about buying yet, because its planned for a couple years off, and I'm still researching the industry. I tend to do a pretty deep dive when it comes to large purchases like this, but its only been the past couple months that I've considered buying a boat again. When I sold mine I said to myself "never own boats, just rent them." Apparently I didn't learn the lesson!
If you want to talk with Tamas, call him and make an appointment. The X-5 was not on my radar until about 6 weeks before the Annapolis Sailboat Show. Prior to that I was focused on the Leopards, Knysna and Nautitech. A few days prior to the show I called Tamas, requested information (which he promptly sent) and made an appointment to get a tour of the X-5. Tamas took a lot of time to answer my questions and discuss any concerns I had.

Best of luck in your search. Not an easy decision, for sure.
DeckTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:33   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:

From experience, I can tell you that builders/company owners are glad to speak to buyers. If you're not ready, or close to ready, I would get to Miami and be at the boat first thing to see if he/she is there and have 1-3 short questions, or if he's busy with prospective clients hang out near the group and listen in. Builders/brokers need all their time to sell the boats in real time.

If you're not quite ready, I'd suggest you use your time to pore over every inch of each of the boats on your list. Watch/read all the reviews, work your way down till you have 1 or 2 boats and then as you are within a year of buying call them up BETWEEN shows, make an appointment and go with all your questions. They will appreciate your visit and know you're serious.

Don't ask me how I recently (the last 2 years) learned all this!

We'll be at Miami as well; have fun!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 19:24   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM57 View Post
If you want to talk with Tamas, call him and make an appointment.
Way ahead of you, have been exchanging emails with him and have an appointment during the Miami show. Thanks tho. I was mainly posting this thread to get backstory from people who know the history, the kind of things that the company might not want to tell a random buyer who doesn't know to ask about it. I'm wanting to do due diligence on the company. In my line of work I've had to deal with some shady companies, and I saw a few red flags.

But being there and meeting Tamas will tell me volumes.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
If you're not quite ready, I'd suggest you use your time to pore over every inch of each of the boats on your list.
I agree. I'm buying a full show ticket for Miami, planning to be there early opening day and go every single day. I'm going to look at every sailboat with more than one hull at the show, and then circle back and look again more than once if I have time.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:52   #11

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Way ahead of you, have been exchanging emails with him and have an appointment during the Miami show. Thanks tho. I was mainly posting this thread to get backstory from people who know the history, the kind of things that the company might not want to tell a random buyer who doesn't know to ask about it. I'm wanting to do due diligence on the company. In my line of work I've had to deal with some shady companies, and I saw a few red flags.

But being there and meeting Tamas will tell me volumes.

I agree. I'm buying a full show ticket for Miami, planning to be there early opening day and go every single day. I'm going to look at every sailboat with more than one hull at the show, and then circle back and look again more than once if I have time.[/QUOTE]

Good for you! We only have 1 day to spare amidst our other endeavors, but look forward to it nonetheless. Enjoy!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 14:36   #12

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’

Just left the Miami boat show and pored over the X5. It is on our top three list along with Privilege and Majestic 530 (after I see the new one hopefully at the next Annapolis show). All three seem fantastic, though very different. X5 is sleek, cool, tech heavy and we can easily picture ourselves living aboard. Privilege seemed a bit more luxurious in its appointments, a bit less slick, but also a very comfortable liveaboard. Majestic was super spacious and very nicely done. We have a week charter in June on the Privilege. We will try to do something similar on the other two as well.
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 15:03   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbonder View Post
Just left the Miami boat show and pored over the X5. It is on our top three list along with Privilege and Majestic 530 (after I see the new one hopefully at the next Annapolis show). All three seem fantastic, though very different. X5 is sleek, cool, tech heavy and we can easily picture ourselves living aboard. Privilege seemed a bit more luxurious in its appointments, a bit less slick, but also a very comfortable liveaboard. Majestic was super spacious and very nicely done. We have a week charter in June on the Privilege. We will try to do something similar on the other two as well.

Several Majestics charter in the BVI.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 16:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbonder View Post

I was there as well. Of the three my favourite was the Privilege. The Majestic felt a bit old fashioned for some reason. The X5 is a fantastic boat in many ways but the tech puts me off. I do like the ongoing systems monitoring but I wondering about all that tech in a few years.

My favourite boat is the St Francis 50. More expensive than the Majestic and close to the X5. Each to their own. And the world is better for it.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 06:12   #15

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
I was there as well. Of the three my favourite was the Privilege. The Majestic felt a bit old fashioned for some reason. The X5 is a fantastic boat in many ways but the tech puts me off. I do like the ongoing systems monitoring but I wondering about all that tech in a few years.
Interested in your thoughts on the X5 tech. I thought of the tech as standard stuff except for the inteface. The only novel thing about the tech was that it is all setup to run from an ipad, which is kind of cool. But, I can imagine in five years the iPad would be old and as weird as runnng a sailboat’s system with a palm pilot.

Did you investigate it at all? I did not and now wish I did.I think they said the same controls are available on the chart plotter. So, i assume interface can be updated or altered to a more traditional monitoring/control system if needed.

I’ll be on that Privelege for 4 nights in June and report back. I love it overall. Some minor concerns about the galley and where to put scuba tanks/compressor. But, I am sure that can all be solved. Now I just need to see how they all sail.
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, catamaran, history