Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 15:24   #1

What happens if your boat fails a structural survey?

Does that mean your insurance carrier will drop you and then evicted from the marina?
Old 09-12-2015, 15:54   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: What happens if your boat fails a structural survey?

In our experience surveys are generally required in two situations. One would be pre-purchase either for the buyers personal use to assist in the buying decision or price negotiations, or because the bank requires it for the loan and required hull insurance. But in that case, if the boat fails the structural survey you can still walk away from the purchase.

The only time we have been required to get a survey post-purchase is when we were buying hull insurance. We have never been required to get a survey in order to purchase liability only. Marinas do not (in our experience) require hull insurance. Whether or not you lose your boat is not their concern. They are only concerned with damages you might cause to or in their facility. Therefore you only would need to carry liability to satisfy the marina requirements and that can be purchased without a survey. If you have a bank loan t that' s a whole different animal. You will most assuredly be required to carry hull insurance.
Old 09-12-2015, 16:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Define "fail"

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:07   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Bknham View Post
Does that mean your insurance carrier will drop you and then evicted from the marina?
That would be the least of your problems assuming your surveyor is correct.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
In our experience surveys are generally required in two situations. One would be pre-purchase either for the buyers personal use to assist in the buying decision or price negotiations, or because the bank requires it for the loan and required hull insurance. But in that case, if the boat fails the structural survey you can still walk away from the purchase.

The only time we have been required to get a survey post-purchase is when we were buying hull insurance. We have never been required to get a survey in order to purchase liability only. Marinas do not (in our experience) require hull insurance. Whether or not you lose your boat is not their concern. They are only concerned with damages you might cause to or in their facility. Therefore you only would need to carry liability to satisfy the marina requirements and that can be purchased without a survey. If you have a bank loan t that' s a whole different animal. You will most assuredly be required to carry hull insurance.

Thanks. This is a cash purchase.
Old 09-12-2015, 16:14   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Marinas want to know if your boat is about to sink. Insurance companies want to know if you are about to sink your boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:16   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't understand fail, a survey is a through inspection that lists the findings. There is no pass or fail.
There may be discrepancies the insurance company will want corrected, even on a very good boat.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:17   #8

Generally surveys don't "fail". There are items specified that need correction, on different levels of importance. Usually the few most important items are required fixes by the Insurance company.
However, there are potentially repairs required that are beyond the scope of fiscal viability. One might be a cored hull that is nearly entirely wet core.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:24   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

My boat "failed" because I didn't have a CO detector.
A trip to eBay fixed that.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 17:06   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

My boat got a glowingly positive "insurance survey" from (I suspect) a buddy of the PO who happens to be a surveyor. The only thing he mentioned was the cheap-ass jeep windshield wiper motors that the PO installed weren't working.

The insurance company wouldn't write the policy until they were fixed. Fortunately, I located the manual on line and was able to correct the wiring. I've never used them, since I almost never use the lower helm, and I'm quite sure they'd do absolutely no good if I ever tried. But they work, so the insurance company is happy.

I had a pretty good idea as to what the boat really needed to meet my needs, and when I presented the PO with that list, along with my estimate to complete it, he accepted my offer, over 30% less than the asking price.

In the end, I probably came in way under my estimate on the "needs". Where I blew the budget was on "wants." But then again, it IS a boat!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:51   #11

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Bknham View Post
Thanks. This is a cash purchase.
I'll be interested to see what cat you go for bearing in mind your other post about a sea view with a mast and plenty of entertainment area...
Heath68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 14:53   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

As mentioned it depends on what you mean by 'fail'. But if it is a structural element it will have to be fixed before insurance is bonded normally.

As a legal issue the vessel may no longer qualify as seaworthy for most passages (other than to the boat yard) which opens up massive new liability Windows on the owner if anything goes wrong. Some of these can easily penetrate a corperate shield.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 15:36   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Almost all surveys will disclose some sort of situation that requires attention.
Just means that those issues must be addressed and corrected.
If it is a pre-purchase survey you have one of three options.
1) cancel purchase agreement (hopefully it was written with acceptance of survey as a contingency).
2) pay for the repairs yourself
3) negotiate that the seller pays for all or some agreeable portion of the repairs.
Generally I would go for numbers 1 or 3 unless the issues were very minor.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 16:04   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Unless the problem indicates you are in immediate danger of sinking, exploding, or bursting in flame?

The insurer will probably tell you that you have 30/60/90 days to remedy the defects and supply proof of that, or your policy will be cancelled, or not renewed.

At that point you have no insurance and if the marina requires insurance, they'll do their best to evict you. Depending on state laws, that can mean many things, none of them good.

Of course in some states, if you can post a bond that's acceptable in place of insurance for a "vehicle". But that might mean having enough cash assets at hand so that fixing the boat was quicker and cheaper anyway.

Give us a clue: Why are you expecting your boat to be condemned?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 20:56   #15

They usually say, fix X, Y & Z. If you fail to fix X, Y & Z, you are effectively not covered even if you send a check to the insurance company because coverage was contingent upon fixing X, Y & Z.

I do recall one time, I was talking to a marina owner. After seeing the sides flex in on an old 50' motor cruiser badly, he told the guy he would launch it at the boat owners risk and wouldn't touch it again without a full survey showing it was fixed...but there was no way it was worth fixing.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey