Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 05:50   #16

Boat: Tanzer 22
Re: What happened to "Cheeky Monkey"

Wow. This thread took a turn.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
I assume you are kidding ? right? or too much coffee today.....
No, I much prefer to watch seawolf, or wicked salty. Even drake can be good sometimes. People with too much money, are not fun to watch.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
Having no frame of reference, I briefly looked at their blog. Meaning, I read the latest post.
So, do people really motor up to their boat and start climbing aboard without being properly invited? Because that's never happened to me. And if it doesn't happen, then it appears that the cheeky monkey folks might just be a little douchey.
The last post was mostly about how annoyed Tasha is when people come up uninvited and climb aboard their boat for a tour.
And, again, I have no frame of reference, but if I had to guess, I would say that doesn't happen much. And maybe Tasha is a bit of a b***h.
I found them via google just now and if we're reading the same post, I think they encountered a particularly rude couple. No offense to you but your boat isn't a new Helia that attracts the money and unwanted "your life is a boatshow" type of visitors.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:42   #19

I think with many of these types of long term utube sailing adventures after a while most of the stories are either heavily embellished or like reality shows simply made up and scripted. That said if you are not properly prepared it's not hard to take a very ordinary situation and turn it into a nail biting adventure.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:50   #20

Boat: Privilege 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
No, I much prefer to watch seawolf, or wicked salty. Even drake can be good sometimes. People with too much money, are not fun to watch.
I've never met them but they seem like a really cool couple and their videos are great to watch. Good luck to them that they can afford a new cat. It doesn't make them less-likeable just because they aren't living on the breadline.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:23   #21

pirate Re: What happened to "Cheeky Monkey"

Quote:
I watched a bunch of the series, and found it annoying. Nothing fun to watch about extremely rich people sailing. Where is the sense of peril? "oh no, our main mast came down, both engines blew up and the hull fell apart. Oh well, just grab a few 100k out of the huge bank account and roll on." Would rather watch people barely scrape by, where a de-masting would be a devastation. Something about people on the edge of a precipice. IMHO
You're going to really like watching me when I finally get going hopefully this fall.I have a boat thats 70's vintage with a blown motor and the goal is to circumnavigate and I don't have a pot to piss in nor two nickels to rub together. But I'm only doing this for excitement because I'm in my 3'rd childhood and nothing is going to stop me. If I have to strap an outboard motor to the aft to get going , then so be it.The plan is to have video rolling 24/7 and Inreach Sat texting 24/7 to communicate to any of my die hard followers. I know it's going to be nothing but trouble but that's what I enjoy. Ha Ha Ha Trouble makes for good ratings.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
You're going to really like watching me when I finally get going hopefully this fall.I have a boat thats 70's vintage with a blown motor and the goal is to circumnavigate and I don't have a pot to piss in nor two nickels to rub together. But I'm only doing this for excitement because I'm in my 3'rd childhood and nothing is going to stop me. If I have to strap an outboard motor to the aft to get going , then so be it.The plan is to have video rolling 24/7 and Inreach Sat texting 24/7 to communicate to any of my die hard followers. I know it's going to be nothing but trouble but that's what I enjoy. Ha Ha Ha Trouble makes for good ratings.
1.4-5.6gb each hour. I have a 6 hard drive computer, and I think you may need a larger system then mine.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:28   #23

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Having no frame of reference, I briefly looked at their blog. Meaning, I read the latest post.
So, do people really motor up to their boat and start climbing aboard without being properly invited? Because that's never happened to me. And if it doesn't happen, then it appears that the cheeky monkey folks might just be a little douchey.
The last post was mostly about how annoyed Tasha is when people come up uninvited and climb aboard their boat for a tour.
And, again, I have no frame of reference, but if I had to guess, I would say that doesn't happen much. And maybe Tasha is a bit of a b***h.

Tasha and Ryan were some of our first young cruiser friends...we all started at the same time. If you meet them, you'll see that they are some of the nicest, sharing and welcoming people you can spend time with. While it's obvious they have money (self made through hard work and skill), never once have they bragged, treated us the least bit snobby or any other negatives money can bring. Again, an extremely lovely and down to earth couple that are a pleasure to know.

Matt
Old 23-09-2017, 18:26   #24

the boat is listed as being here a couple of weeks ago.

EAUS - East Australia
Latitude / Longitude:
-17.7844906 177.293106
cruiserlooker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 18:54   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserlooker1 View Post
the boat is listed as being here a couple of weeks ago.

EAUS - East Australia
Latitude / Longitude:
-17.7844906 177.293106
Not sure I understand the reference,but that set of coordinates ain't in Australia... rather it is in Fiji.

Jim
Old 23-09-2017, 18:57   #26

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not sure I understand the reference,but that set of coordinates ain't in Australia... rather it is in Fiji.

Jim

According to their latest post. Fiji is correct.

Not sure why they stop video blogs. I would assume to much work editing. Or tired of all the haters/trolls out there. Either way it’s a shame, I really enjoy their videos.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 03:43   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cruiserlooker.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 07:25   #28

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
I watched a bunch of the series, and found it annoying. Nothing fun to watch about extremely rich people sailing. Where is the sense of peril? "oh no, our main mast came down, both engines blew up and the hull fell apart. Oh well, just grab a few 100k out of the huge bank account and roll on." Would rather watch people barely scrape by, where a de-masting would be a devastation. Something about people on the edge of a precipice. IMHO

If scraping by from crisis to crisis is your thing, you might enjoy this guys series. Good footage, entertaining, low budget cruising, with stories to tell.

Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 13:07   #29

Quote:
I think it has to do with the fact that they have a YouTube presence and people who have seen the episodes may feel that they know them and just come visit. The Delos crew is even more “famous” in terms of recognition while out and about. Seems a bit judgy to criticize someone without knowing the full context of their experience. Cheeky Monkey has contributed a lot to the community via their blog and YouTube.

FYI random visits also happen a lot with Outremer and Gunboat owners more often than you’d guess.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 16:03   #30

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
I think it has to do with the fact that they have a YouTube presence and people who have seen the episodes may feel that they know them and just come visit. The Delos crew is even more “famous” in terms of recognition while out and about. Seems a bit judgy to criticize someone without knowing the full context of their experience. Cheeky Monkey has contributed a lot to the community via their blog and YouTube.

FYI random visits also happen a lot with Outremer and Gunboat owners more often than you’d guess.

Agreed. Just because someone posts YouTube content doesn't mean they owe you anything, and it's supremely arrogant to think they do. It also doesn't mean you can invade their privacy just because they share part of their lives publicly. Take it for what it is, and what you paid for it. If you get something out of it, great, if not, carry on. What have you lost besides 10 or 15 minutes of your time.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote