Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2010, 14:48   #76

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Are you serious?
I thought that was more than a little bizarre to, as really they don't compare in terms of fit and finish, safety or comfort in any respect, galley, no, cockpit, no, woodwork, no, storage, no, structural bouyancy, no, bridgedeck clearance, no.

Another quote from them:

I used to run Moorings Yacht brokerage
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 16:41   #77
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Ozzy, that is one of the best cat sailing video's I have watched. Nice job. You've got some big ones to push it like that.
Old 22-09-2010, 18:06   #78

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Thanks Palarran. Yeah it does make a change to a lot of the "cruisy" cat videos that are around doesn't it? The boat handled these conditions really well and the footage of the towed dingy gives an appreciation of the speed that we were travelling. The sail trim could have been better but as the rest of my crew were not sailors they did fine. The one reef in the main and the partially furled headsail (10 wraps) were in accordance with the Leopard factory recommendations for the wind strength. I was really happy with this cat overall but do not like the newer models with the raised steering stations or the flybridge configuration cats by other manufacturers.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 05:17   #79

Boat: Manta 42 "Calypso"
Go Manta...

Although the company (American) no longer exists, you might want to consider a used Manta Catamaran (and save a bunch of money to cruise!). Built between 1993 and 2008 there are about 125 of these sailcats out there. These cats were designed for couples and solo-sailors, for cruising, not charter. We spent 4 years looking at boats and have SAILED on St. Francis, Lagoon, Leopard, Royal Cape Cat, Fast 43, Dean, Island Spirit and Catana. In the end we fell in love with Mantas and had one built for us in 2006, lived on it for almost 4 years (mostly in the islands), sailed the US East Coast up to Maine, and down island to Trinidad and back to Annapolis. The boat is not too big, not small. They're incredibly solid, handle well in big wind and seas. The bridge-deck has a unique curved design that helps with wave-slapping. In all our cruising we have not been on a boat that we found to be as well thought out in terms of living space or working gear. They're fast, comfortable and a great place to LIVE! If you'd like to see one at the Annapolis Boat show - be happy to show you ours.

The Manta Users Forum (Private-open only to Manta Owners) is amazing, with a small, expert community of folks that have been living on their boats for many years. Although the Cruisers Forum is great for general info, you'll want to buy a boat that has a REALLY good Boat-specific user-forum.
Cheers!
PHIL+MARYANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 04:13   #80

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Phil, are these these the same Manta's that were also built in Sarasota?
If so, I was on the Manta in Seista Key and it is a beutifully built boat.
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 05:09   #81

Yep, That's a Manta!

Yes, most Mantas were built in Sarasota, FL. Some older Mantas were built by Endeavour Yachts near Tampa. I believe the Manta in Siesta Key was Seacret. I think she just sold, as have several other Mantas recently.
Old 30-09-2010, 05:26   #82

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
LOL..not sure if your Phil or MaryAnne...but thanks.

Yes, Seacret was her name. Nice boat and a great family who owned her.

Question, If Manta was made by Endeavour at one point, and recently i just found out that the older Victory Catamarans were made by Endeavour...why are those models/styles not still buily by them?

TIA
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 05:56   #83

Manta Cats+Endeavour

Endeavour make a variety of cats and other boats. They will build boats for other designers, as they did for a while for Manta. The molds for the Manta hulls (a rather unique mold with curved hull/bridge deck design by Eric LeRouge) produced over 125 boats. Not sure what happened to the molds after Manta went bust a year or so ago, but some folks have talked about redesigning and building them in Taiwan or Thailand. Basically, to make a comparable boat today in the USA would cost over $700,000! In Europe it would be even more! South Africa and France make good cats, but none, IMHO compare in overall quality and user-friendly design compare to a Manta. (Assuming one is talking a CRUISING boat, not a Cocktail Boat or Charter Cat - French and South African do a GREAT job there! And not talking FAST, high-performance (less comfort! less ease-of-use) boats - Chris White, Outremere, and a couple other French and South African boats are much better there.)
Old 30-09-2010, 15:57   #84

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIL+MARYANNE View Post
Although the company (American) no longer exists, you might want to consider a used Manta Catamaran (and save a bunch of money to cruise!). Built between 1993 and 2008 there are about 125 of these sailcats out there. These cats were designed for couples and solo-sailors, for cruising, not charter. We spent 4 years looking at boats and have SAILED on St. Francis, Lagoon, Leopard, Royal Cape Cat, Fast 43, Dean, Island Spirit and Catana. In the end we fell in love with Mantas and had one built for us in 2006, lived on it for almost 4 years (mostly in the islands), sailed the US East Coast up to Maine, and down island to Trinidad and back to Annapolis. The boat is not too big, not small. They're incredibly solid, handle well in big wind and seas. The bridge-deck has a unique curved design that helps with wave-slapping. In all our cruising we have not been on a boat that we found to be as well thought out in terms of living space or working gear. They're fast, comfortable and a great place to LIVE! If you'd like to see one at the Annapolis Boat show - be happy to show you ours.

The Manta Users Forum (Private-open only to Manta Owners) is amazing, with a small, expert community of folks that have been living on their boats for many years. Although the Cruisers Forum is great for general info, you'll want to buy a boat that has a REALLY good Boat-specific user-forum.
Cheers!
Ahhhhh, My true love.

Not you MaryAnne.

Working on the cash.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 15:30   #85
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataWorld! View Post
Hey, I was wondering what catamaran you guys would suggest, based on my requirements. Keep in mind, I am a total neophyte when it comes to sailing, so if I ask a stupid question, bare with me.

The boat I'm looking for will be used basically as a floating condo. My plan is to live alone on board full-time, for a period of several years, exploring the globe. Given this plan, here are my requirements:

-Owner's Cabin configuration (very important, as I will be living onboard by myself

-Able to sail single-handed

-Spacious and airy

I am looking for a capable and roomy boat, as this will be my new home. I will also outfit it with several gadgets, and items to make handling her easier for one person. If these were your plans, what would you choose?
We have a priv 495 to do 2 x transats a year, 2006 boat about to start 9th transat and no mega problems. Big 7.3 metre wide owners cabin, watermaker, washine machine, air, aircon. The lagoons are a bit IKEA/flatpack interior, tho lot of boat for the money.
mct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:41   #86

Re: What Catamaran: Suggestions from the Community

OK,let me ask what about the same idea with only 150/200 max to spend, I have been looking at a 2001 Island spirit 37,, anybody? Don`t know much about cats & am fixing to buy something I will be on for a long time & am considering all & trying to pick ONE??
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 06:39   #87

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

To Kita,
In that price range, I'd have a serious look at a used Seawind 1000XL.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:01   #88

Ok people, let me tell you a story, I live in west central FL & have only been on a 30ft sailboat a couple weeks on a two trips to the keys.. Dreamed of sailing since 7th grade when I wrote a short story for school.. I have a great deal of time on all kinds of small boats (ski stuff) as I have lived on a lake all my life. I can fix almost anything,Traffic crash changed my life, no family anymore, killed in the crash. Life happens while we make plans. Always had someone to deal with (wife,sick mother) no longer.. I am 53, Now I am selling two houses to buy a cat & sail & I need help to find the right boat for me to single hand,am planing to retire on it & live.. I like the lagoon 38 or an Island spirit 37, I am only going to have one chance to do this & will have to live with my choice a long time. Few people are better schooled as a live aboard than I, done the research & think I am ready. I have a small sailboat just to learn but there is so much more I need to know. 200000 max for a boat,friends think I am nuts,but we have to follow our own heart.. It is a major change for me,not a midlife thing cause I would have done it long ago cept for family, so I need help to choose... Can anyone give me a reason NOT to go with the Island spirit or have a better idea for a rookie? I looked at seawind 1000xl,seems underpowered? Any other ideas?
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:35   #89

The Island Spirit is a good bluewater cruiser; however, that sleek design has narrower hulls than the Lagoon 380 and the salon has 30% less usable space.
I have lived aboard cats and in my opinion the most-important factors are comfort and live-ability...and any extra storage space is very important, unless you love living in clutter. Also, the slanted windows of the Island Spirit create a "greenhouse effect" in the salon and the temperature is always 15 degrees hotter that the Lagoon's which is shaded from the hottest part of the day. It took me a few years to get used to the Lagoon vertical window look but now I realize it has great benefits. You may also want to look at the Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36....there is a 2007 for $173k in the Caribbean.
BOATaHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:49   #90

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I agree, the vertical windows are great.
Better view and less heat.
Most of the Lagoons and FP are set up like that
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote