Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2013, 19:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Best Suits a Wife on a Catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki S View Post
Boys, if you did the washing we girls wouldn't even want washing machines- they would simply be an unnecessary boy toy..... Do you know what I'm sayin? A lady's needs are not really about mod-cons, they are about "understanding, listening, cooperation, team work, and communication (and also no verbal communication when the mood is right)
Lady.. I am a washing machine.. a plastic bin.. warm soapy water, grubby clothes, a bottle of wine and a glass.. stick Placido Domingo in the CD and watch me Flamenco those stains away...
You aint seen nuthin yet...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 19:36   #17

Re: What Best Suits a Wife on a Catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki S View Post
Boys, if you did the washing we girls wouldn't even want washing machines- they would simply be an unnecessary boy toy..... Do you know what I'm sayin? A lady's needs are not really about mod-cons, they are about "understanding, listening, cooperation, team work, and communication (and also no verbal communication when the mood is right)
Cute Nicki! bet you are too..
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 20:12   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Women want a large galley, easy fridge access, big shower, storage place for 19 purse, 36 pairs of shoes , a salad shooter, blender, microwave, ice maker, did I mention shoes? , an area she can decorate (meaning entire boat) hot water anytime, lots of water, a husband who knows when to shut up. A husband who.can fix things, some more storage for the other 11 purses she forgot about, an area she can grow tomatoes, a hammock, (it'll get used twice) a reclining ratchet back seat from west marine (one with armrests) room for bikes(you'll use once) corian counter tops, a wine rack, autopilot a tv w dvd player and a sink chef Ramsey would admire.
Then she might be ok with it.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 20:16   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Women want a large galley, easy fridge access, big shower, storage place for 19 purse, 36 pairs of shoes , a salad shooter, blender, microwave, ice maker, did I mention shoes? , an area she can decorate (meaning entire boat) hot water anytime, lots of water, a husband who knows when to shut up. A husband who.can fix things, some more storage for the other 11 purses she forgot about, an area she can grow tomatoes, a hammock, (it'll get used twice) a reclining ratchet back seat from west marine (one with armrests) room for bikes(you'll use once) corian counter tops, a wine rack, autopilot a tv w dvd player and a sink chef Ramsey would admire.
Then she might be ok with it.
**** your lucky... mine usually just want someone else...

Old 31-12-2013, 20:50   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

There's more than one way to encourage women to have fun on boats.

Old 01-01-2014, 00:18   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm afraid my take on this thread is that a couple of boy people were sitting around, and one of them convinced the other to ask this question, almost as if all wives are interchangeable! I don't think so.

How about the OP's friend talks to his wife, maybe negotiates a deal that she will spend x amount of time sailing with him, in return for y that she wants? This at least, would be a reasonable, respectful starting place.

I'd like to say to some of the men on the forum that I really don't think these discussions are about marketing and "stuff" that women may or may not want; IMO their heart is communication, or the lack thereof.

And take it from there. The OP's friend and his wife need to get talking, after all it is they who will be affected by the decisions.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:59   #22

Rule#1 with wifes: You should always and already know what your wife wants or what it takes to be happy.

Rule#2. Wife is allowed to change her mind at any time, and most likely will.(makes rule#1 pretty futile) lol.

Seriously does she like to sail? We didn't know if we wanted to live aboard or not. A few weekend trips at first several years ago and there was zero doubt. The wife actually took to it even faster than me and can sleep in damn near Any condition. But boats are compromises and there is.never.the perfect.boat. if she loves the water and sailing etc than she will.want to do it. If not than well cant change it.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:35   #23

Holy crap stereotypes much !

Why doesn't your mate ASK HER ?
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:20   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
ME....
Happy New Year...
Happy New Year Boatie... Surprised it took 14 posts for the first sarcasm...no one said bathing suit or a host of other ones. Some folks must have made a resolution to be PC.

Not me!

Cheers
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:49   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Happy New Year Boatie... Surprised it took 14 posts for the first sarcasm...no one said bathing suit or a host of other ones. Some folks must have made a resolution to be PC.

Not me!

Cheers
Who was being sarcastic..??

Old 01-01-2014, 05:24   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I'm afraid my take on this thread is that a couple of boy people were sitting around, and one of them convinced the other to ask this question, almost as if all wives are interchangeable! I don't think so

Happy New Year!
He did mention swinging in the second sentence...;0)))
Old 01-01-2014, 06:21   #27

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Don't even talk about living aboard full time at first, that's your dream, not hers. Start slowly and let her begin to love it a weekend at a time. She'll probably bring it up if you let her have some time without too much input.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:35   #28

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lady.. I am a washing machine.. a plastic bin.. warm soapy water, grubby clothes, a bottle of wine and a glass.. stick Placido Domingo in the CD and watch me Flamenco those stains away...
----
boatie -
I am having a difficult time with that mental image.
LMAO.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:08   #29

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

My take on this is that if he has to 'convince' his wife.. he is in for trouble... Both people have to be in love with the idea... or you will have some serious problems...

But, I will answer the question... As a woman I want:

1. a separate, decent sized stand in shower
2. a kitchen big enough to cook a decent meal without cursing about not enough space.
3. washing machine
4. wonderful places to visit...
5. a decent sized cockpit where we can sit at a table to eat, play games, talk.. as well as a place to curl up with a good book

My suggestion is he charter a week someplace fabulous, and see how she likes it..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We were contemplating retirement options a few years ago. I've always sailed a lot; she, not so much. Out of the blue Lynn suggested we get a big-ass boat and see the world. She wanted it big enough to give a nice ride, long waterline for speed & comfort. Next stop, Camper-Nicholson 58. 36 tons - like driving a couch. Go figure.

The way to ease someone new the way of life into it is from a boat club or other tethered basin. A social program is a big help. Enroll her in an all woman sail school. Have good experineces on nice days. Don't drag her out in a malstrom 'cause you think its fun. Most women don't really want to hold your beer while you show them something. Charter in a few really interesting venues. See how it goes. Its either fun or not.

We chartered with friends a month after we married from Hopetown, Abaco. It was magic. We repeated years later with our three daughters. More magic. Two summers back, we sailed the Camper 58 to the NORTH CHANNEL of Lake Huron (Canada). This was just the two of us for 3.5 weeks & 1200 miles. This convinced us that we were planning the right retirement. We are ready to sell the house, cars etc. & go. Clock is ticking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MYC on Sailstace.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	73124   Click image for larger version

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	73125  

Click image for larger version

Name:	53.jpg