Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2017, 18:25   #1

What a beginner should look at???

Hey, I'm just starting to get into sailing again. I used to go with my dad when I was little and I'm planning on getting a cruising cat to live aboard.

I've been diving into it a lot lately but there is just so much out there and I can't see all these boats in person so I was hoping you guys will be able to help me out. I'm somewhat familiar with the brands Lagoon, Fountaine, Leopard, Outremer, etc.

I will be doing mostly solo sailing and some occasional sailing with friends. I plan on doing some bigger trips, US to Australia. I am fairly handy with tools but would prefer something a little newer, post 2005 and roughly 40-50 feet. The top end of my budget would be right around 600k

The big criteria for me are 1) easy access to all the systems in case of repair, getting under the floors, into walls, into the ceiling, etc 2) large bow area to move and work sails 3) looking for more performance and function over comfort but comfort is always nice 4) able to be solo sailed.

Right now I have been looking at the Outremer 45, Leopard 45, and various Fountaine Pajots.

What should I be looking at?

Thank you!
NavyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 18:36   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: What a beginning should look at???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyTurtle View Post
SNIP

Right now I have been looking at the Outremer 45, Leopard 45, and various Fountaine Pajots.

What should I be looking at?

Thank you!
These are very different boats. I divide cats into two basic groups based on the ratio of the length of the hulls to the beam of the hulls. If the length is ten times the beam of the hulls the narrow hulls make the boat much faster; if the reverse is true the boat will be slower and what I term a condomaran.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 18:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
the boat will be slower and what I term a condomaran.
So what boats would you recommend that are away from the condomarans? Haha
Old 20-10-2017, 05:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NavyTurtle.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 08:01   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
So what boats would you recommend that are away from the condomarans? Haha
Of the boats you listed in the OP only the Outremer 45. FPs are definitely condomarans and some folks would say the same for Leopards. As I posted look for the 10 to one ratio as a dividing line.

Don't take this as a dis of condomarans. FPs are one of the more numerous boats around for good reasons. Lots of space, lots of features peeps want like multiple heads and creature comforts. They also are much better at dealing with a big load of water, food, toys, whatever that adds a lot to the fun of cruising. Also keep in mind that you can get in trouble in a hurry in performance boat while in a condomaran if you get caught in big winds most likely the worst thing that will happen is you will blow out a sail.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 08:57   #6

Re: What a beginner should look at???

Hey NT, take a look at the Seawind 1160 lite. Nice accommodations and performance oriented. After spending big $'s on a liveaboard and then you realize it can't sail, what's the point!! Stick to performance oriented cats.
dtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:11   #7

you should look at www.namsglobal.org and pick a surveyor top show you
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:39   #8

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

To add to dtuck's comment, you should also definitely check out the new Seawind 1260. I own an 1160 Lite and absolutely love it. I've had a half dozen professional captains onboard who all rave about the sailing performance. That said, the 1260 will give you a bit more length - new it is well within your price point too.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:43   #9
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Or if looking for a little more performance how about the Seawind 1190 sport? Daggerboards, kick up rudders and reduced weight.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:48   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I suggest looking at a small boat and learning how to sail and the rules of the road first.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 10:25   #11

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

Look at all those Seawind responses !!! having been a sailor my whole life , We picked a Seawind 1160 Deluxe 9 years ago and still love it !!! the most important thing I can tell you is, you can sail it by yourself , One electric winch and autopilot !! and 38 feet long . O
nce you get above 40 feet it gets a lot harder to sail single handed . So that would be my best advice , make sure you can untie the dock lines and spend the day sailing single handed , you will become a great sailor that way . Hey all you other Seawind owners , Looks like we should get some kind of commission !!! Dave Mark S/CAT Bama Breeze
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 10:54   #12

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Keep in mind that Lagoon, Leopard, and FP heavily cater to charter companies whose needs are different than most people crossing oceans. Now, having said that, these are still excellent boats, far superior to previous generations, and in the case of Leopard, they arrive in the US/Europe from South Africa crossing on their own hulls, so you know they can make the trip. I have sailed on these boats. I haven't sailed on an Outremer, but from what I see the quality is a notch higher (as is the price).

However, having said all that, do you have any idea how big a 45' catamaran really is? That's a better size for a family. If you are really going to be going solo with occasional friends, I would look for a cat in the 38-40' range instead. That still gives you all the space you will ever need, but will still be easier to handle, as well as reduced costs and maintenance.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:51   #13

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Yep, before plunking down $ 600,000.00 . And planning to single hand , and go sailing across oceans and sail off to the land of OZ.......

LEARN TO SAIL, thru an accredited sailing school, on vessels from 27 feet on up to 55 footers. Learn proper terminology, rules of the road, sail trim, vessel systems, navigation, rough weather sailing , handling emergencies, docking, mooring pick up, etc, knot tying, single handing, and that is just the beginning.

Most of the ocean cruisers that we would come across were sailing vessels in the high 30 foot range. Don't know much about sea going condomaxamals, but the majority that we see down in the BVI, are loaded down with all kinds of people, plastic blown up water toys, swimming with noodles, and carrying kayaks, paddle boards, and rarely sailing. Some will have a sail or two up, but at the same time, both engines ahead full , on auto pilot, and we are double reefed on the main, and the jib 110%, at the helm, and making good knots in great winds. ( monohull). And just Erica and I.

Point being, if you are planning on sailing to the land of OZ, and planning to SAIL single handed, it might be a good plan to get some knowledge of sailing, and seaman ship, and experience under your keel. Along with a good base of training and study.

You can work your way up to being qualified in larger vessels, and catamarans . It is important to understand the power of the ocean, and the seaman ship and knowledge that is required to single hand a 40 to 50 ft. sailing cat.

All that will allow you to make a serious and informed decision on what type and length of catamaran would be the right sailing vessel for your ocean quest.

You will also learn about the skippers responsibility for the safety of the vessel, and all on board, as well as the safety of other vessels and their crews.

Been sailing professionally and for personal pleasure for about 40 years, and well aware of how important it is to put as much in your favor as possible when on or in the ocean,

The sailors on this forum are a wealth of knowledge and I am amazed at their wide range of experience. Fantastic ! I learn new and interesting things every time I read their posts. They can help you with suggestions, but after that it is all up to you.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 12:31   #14

Thanks for all the information everyone. I'll look into those Seawinds and smaller cats.

It will be a little while before I am able to buy one and in the down time I do plan on getting a smaller boat to learn on while I wait.

Just curious, what boats did all of you start out on? What tips would you give for when I do start? (I sailed for about a year with my dad a while ago so I have basic knowledge but will mostly be learning from scratch again)
Old 20-10-2017, 14:41   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

You can have easy access in any boat. It is more about how you lay out the systems and how much crap stuff you elect to carry.

If you want performance, you are not looking at Pajots nor Lagoons. Outremer is probably the lowest shelf you want. If you want heavy performance it may be Catana (maybe, possibly).

Solo is again, layout. But why sail solo. Why not share the views and emotion with a nice person? A solo layout can again be sailed by two; so, why not.

Do not keep it to yourself. This world is full of tightassness. As a minimum write, picture, talk to us. SHARE.

Solo is for bankers and other psychopaths. Be human, sail, enjoy, pass on, share.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote