Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 11:29   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Saw two non plastic cats in Ferragudo on the hook today... one a Wharram.. the other a very traditional looking Polynesian style... will try and get some pic's tomorrow if she's still there.. looks to be 40+ft.
Having sailed many makes and models plastic cats, I cant say that any of them meet my ideals for a cruising cat, but I really like Wharrams design ideas. Ive sailed a couple of Tikis and have the study plans for a couple of larger Wharrams (like the Pahi series). A semi-custom traditional looking cat really appeals to me for the next boat.

I like the idea of a cat that not only is seaworthy, but actually looks salty and "traditional" too...like a real sailing vessel and not a condo with a mast stuck in it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 15:54   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wharram Tiki Sailors..........

Sorry guys... he must have read my post coz when I got down there today he'd buga'd orf...
Only the Oro was still there... serves me right for leaving my fone at the house...
So... instead I had the bright idea of filming the river.. boatyards and marina scanning 270* to include the entrance and anchorage... figured start a new 'Resource Thread' of anchorages for cruisers/voyagers to access.... but my 2mp fone cams not up to the task...
Gorra get a decent camera one day...
Oh... and a rather nice boat and an estimated 3 million euros of cocaine is going no further than Portimao... they got nailed and are currently alongside the customs dock...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 16:16   #33

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel
Re: Wharram Tiki Sailors..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
james Wharram is reputed to have been asked by a young sailor with stars in his eyes as to the seaworthiness of a tiki 26.

His reply was on the lines of '' The tiki 26 will take you wherever you want to go.''

Glenn Tieman a bloke who has made long voyages thru polynesia on a small classic design wharram is an advocate for a drogue/anchor off the back end of the boat.

storm tactic - Wharram Builders and Friends
Here is Wharram on his Tangaroa after sailing TransAtlantic from England to Trinidad. They said he would never make it 500 miles in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tangaroa.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	65656  
Old 18-08-2013, 16:21   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wharram Tiki Sailors..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Here is Wharram on his Tangaroa after sailing TransAtlantic from England to Trinidad. They said he would never make it 500 miles in it.
It was just about sinking when they got there... but that was down to Toredo worm... so he built his second boat out there... and has not looked back since...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 00:20   #35

Boat: wharram tiki 26

From what i read ole Jimmy had a rough time of it across the Atlantic. On arrival back home he was worried about what his father would say about his workmanship.He greeted his father with the words akin to she's a bit rough but..

If you think about it, this bloke really did have some serious cajones.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:45   #36

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Here is a big Junk rigged one doing it's thing.

Sailing APATIKI - 2013 : BUILDING, TUNING AND SAILING APATIKI
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 16:28   #37

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38
Send a message via Skype™ to SV Luckyfish
Re: Wharram Tiki sailors..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
I build Wharrams. I build em cause I likes em. OK
My I have sailed a Tiki 26 and a Tiki 30 extensively. I have also sailed a Tiki 38. The T38 imo is VERY under powered. Neither boat will sail well to weather in light air and any slop. The T30 has a larger rig proportionately than the T38 which has a split rig and more windage. Once you crack off a bit the boats move along very well. I like to sail fast. I also like to sail upwind.
Hi David, We know you like going fast mate :-) You do so much to raise awareness of Wharram, thats awesome. Hope everything is hunkered good there at Jupiter and that new beautiful "Tehini" is snug. Thoughts are with you. Luckyfish is at La Belle. Maybe Irma will go between us. Won't that be fun?

You mentioned the Tiki 38 being under powered. Can you elaborate alot more on that? Do you reckon it's a personal preference thing? It's good to pile on sail in light airs and all that but I have never found the boat wanting. Our Atlantic crossing at 5.5 kts average, Pilgrims at 6.4kts, our Grenada Exumas trip 6.4, I mean, these are respectable numbers by any reasonably priced cruising boat/cat measure. Upwind, yeah, agree with you the split rig and lack of daggerboards are a bear. We don't like going upwind in any sort of chop so avoid it like the plague or turn on the iron topsails and motorsail to nearest bar.

Good luck with the storm!

Cheers, Stew

www.svluckyfish.com
SV Luckyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wharram